1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll: What army would you be most excited to see/play in Total War: Warhammer 3?

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by NIGHTBRINGER, Mar 1, 2019.

?

What army would you be most excited to see/play in Total War: Warhammer 3?

1. Daemons of Chaos

2. Chaos Dwarfs

3. Ogre Kingdoms

4. Cathay

5. Nippon

6. Kingdoms of Ind

7. Araby

8. Kislev

9. Dogs of War

10. Other (please specify)

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

I voted other,

2 armies I would love to see, Halflings and Hobgoblins, I used to love them back in the eighties and I really miss having some, this is purely based on the figures I had they may have never been an army I have no clue.

2. Karak Norn Clansman
    Troglodon

Karak Norn Clansman Well-Known Member

I'm an omnivore, mr. Nightbringer. I'm thrilled like hell for the Chaos Dwarfs, but Cathay is also intriguing: There is a lot less to build with in terms of official fluff bits, but still enough when coupled with history and folklore to make something potentially fantastic out of it. ;)

Or perhaps it's just a symptom of working on Chaos Dwarf stories, artwork and miniatures for years on end, that it's becoming like my mother's backyard to me.

I'm particularly interested in what campaign map mechanics CA give to the Dawi Zharr!

Also, Hobgoblin Khanates north of Cathay would be sweet.

3. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

Have you seen the post in the news thread about the next Blood Bowl team? I think you’ll like it...

4. gb2098
    Saurus

gb2098 Active Member

of the options given, Chaos Dwarves, Demons, Ogres, Kislev, and Dogs of War all had armybooks at one point, and thus extant material to use as a base in creating a faction.

Araby, Ind, Nippon, and Cathay never saw any official coverage, so the total war team would have to invent all the details whole cloth. which is something i can't see GW allowing. the Old World might now be "the world that was" and the Age of Sigmarine at hand, but they always have the option of returning to the Old World for a product (or game revival) or bringing a bit more of the Old World into AoS, and i don't think they'd want to give a computer game company the power to dictate faction designs.

of the ones with extant armybooks, i'd say that Chaos Dwarves or Ogres are most likely. Kislev always seems to lumped under The Empire, even if the official status was one of an allied kingdom rather than a component state. so if Kislev is added it would probably be as a variant Empire sub-faction. Demons, while certainly a core part of the narrative of the Old World, don;t really seem to operate with the same kind of nation-building system that the other races use, so they would be really difficult to make a playable faction in campaign mode. the same goes for Dogs of War.. while technically Tilean when fielded as a full army, they are basically just unique mercenary bands that usually deploy alongside one of the other factions. so if added they'd best be done as unique hireable units meant to bolster your normal armies.

5. Tk'ya'pyk
    Skar-Veteran

Tk'ya'pyk Well-Known Member

Here's a crazy idea. If you center around Chaos Dwarves, that's the "Near East" in the Old World. If you run the map horizontally and have the Old World just OFF the map to the WEST, you could include Chaos Dwarves, the Ogre Kingdoms, the Hobgoblin Khanate (my personal preference), Cathay, Nippon, maybe Ind, and some of the more unusual Chaos Marauder and Beastman tribes! Orcs and Goblins inhabit parts of the Near East, technically Kislev is part of that area if they wanted to do a Kislev-themed army.

Oh, and while Cathay, Araby, and Nippon never got official armybooks, they WERE in the original 1st edition books alongside non-Chaos Norsemen and lots of other oddities! :D

Besides, if we're going for the unusual, why not Estalia as its own force alongside the Dogs of War and the Border Princes? You could include that oddball Pirates of Sartosa list they were considering for the longest time and never did anything with! Stretch that east to include Tomb Kings, Orcs and Goblins, Dwarves, Araby, and so forth!

6. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Lizards of Renown Herald of Creation

Ogres.

They'd be so much fun.

Imrahil, Canas and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  7. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

I'm sorry, the "correct" answer is and will always be Chaos Dwarfs! ;)

...Ogres are pretty awesome too... but it's still Chaos Dwarfs!

Imrahil and Lizards of Renown like this.
  8. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Nah, Ogres are definitly more interesting in this case :p

Also finally getting daemons would be nice :p

Lizards of Renown likes this.
  9. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Oh yeah! Daemons would be hilarious!

Think of the Beasts of Nurgle and what audio-files they'd use for them... :D

NIGHTBRINGER, Imrahil and Canas like this.
  10. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

I gave my vote to Chaos dwarfs.
    Still think it would be great.

11. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Chaos Dwarves would indeed be great, as it would also be Hobgoblins, CD Centaurs and all their monsters.

12. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

I went for Ogre Kingdoms, think it would be fun to see and play.

Grrr, Imrahil

13. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

That was mine also.

14. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Why am I not surprised to see you disagree with me! :D:D

Canas likes this.
  15. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Who knows? :p

In all honesty though, chaos dwarfs don't seem like they'd add much to TW at this point. Aestheticly they're of course very different, but gameplay-wise it seems like a lot of what they'd bring would already be covered by other factions.

16. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Just curious... if I had picked Ogres, would you have picked Chaos Dwarfs? ;)

Chaos Dwarfs are a mismatch of various elements from different armies. The troops of Dwarfs and Goblins, but with an intermix of monsters and monstrous elements. War machines with a chaotic twist. Magic. As you say, nothing truly unique, at least at an individual level, but still a very different blend of elements. I guess the same can be said of Ogres, there are already a bunch of large entities in the game, but not an entire army comprised of them. So Ogres are admittedly a little more unique than Chaos Dwarfs, but a little less awesome too (at least in my opinion)! Daemons are more unique than either of them.

17. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Nah Ogres are better, I'm even trying to start collecting an army of those for AoS (as if I'm not yet trying to collect enough armies...)

The issue is even as a blend of elements they don't seem particularly unique for TW. In a large part because a lot of TW is fairly straightforward, things that are fairly unique on the tabletop aren't as unique in TW. Ultimatly, a unit medium-sized fast-ish monsters like say say kroxigor are not that different from medium-heavy cavalry of equivalent cost and the difference is mostly visual, but they fullfill very similar roles. Same with the different magics, the main difference between lore A & B is the colour of their vortex spell.

If you focus on heavy armour + artillery you get basicly dwarfs, but with a few big units & some more impactfull magic than their runes.
    If you focus on artillery and light-ish cannonfodder supported by some medium monsters you basicly get something similar to certain empire playstyles with monsters taking the place of their cavalry.
    If you focus on artillery + magic you basicly get vampire coast.

In terms of overworld playstyle there also doesn't seem to be much unique to do there as I'd assume it'd basicly just be dwarfs but with a slave economy.

Ogres on the other hand are fairly unique as a purely monstrous/big army, so there's a bit more to distinguish them as there's certain classes of units, like basic infantry, which they just flat out don't have.

Lizards of Renown and Imrahil like this.
  18. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

That's also the problem with them. They will be harder to balance, as an opponent (in multiplayer) who spams a bunch of "bonus vs. large" units against them will do very well.

Still, you're arguing for them being more unique, which is something that I already outright stated in my previous post:

"So Ogres are admittedly a little more unique than Chaos Dwarfs, but a little less awesome too"

Gnoblars.

Canas and Lizards of Renown like this.
  19. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Fortunatly I don't overly care about the multiplayer :p And singleplayer usually doesn't have this issue except maybe at the very start of the campaign when you're surrounded by enemies who can't really build anything besides "basic spear-unit X".

Also, an obvious solution would be to give (some) ogers some defense against anti-large bonusses. But I'm sure they'l figure something out.

That'd be cannonfodder, not basic infantry. I meant something at least comparable to skaven cohorts or empire swordsmen, not something comparable to skaven slaves :p

20. Lizards of Renown
    Slann

Don't get me wrong as I love Gnoblars, but I don't even know if they come up to cannon fodder...

Maybe rifle-fodder?

:D

Canas and Killer Angel like this.