1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Poll: Who should own the Falcon at the end of Episode 9?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by NIGHTBRINGER, Jul 3, 2019.

?

Who should own the Falcon at the end of Episode 9?

1. Rey

2. Chewbacca

3. Lando

4. It doesn't matter, the Disney Sequel Trilogy sucks

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

For the record, here is the order (according to yours truly)...

Sequel Trilogy Sucks > Chewie > Lando > Rey

2. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

Good choice - the Cromwell was a good British tank, one of the most common of the vehicles we used during the Second World War.

I thought it was a female relative of Jabba the Hutt on helium, but my knowledge of the abyssal side is quite small - I haven't the gusto to risk delving into that can of infernal worms...

Also when you say 'legendary', don't you mean 'notorious'? ;)

Are you talking about the Light Side or the Abyssal Disney Side mentioned above? Because she's too evil to be a Jedi.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2019
    NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  3. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Lindybeige is great.
    Well... most of the time.

4. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

According the expanded universe, Hutts are hermaphroditic and can change from male to female and back at will. It's implied but not stated that Hutts spend most of their time as males until and unless they are ready to reproduce. Apparently Hutts have sexual reproduction (ewww) so two Hutts are required to make a little Huttling but the "mother" seems to get full custody and inheritance of wealth is normally mother to child. Though Jabba murdered his uncle/aunt child Jilac so he could inherit his family's crime empire. He didn't kill his uncle/aunt but when a rival family tried to Jilac, Jabba didn't help much.

Hutts are a generally a villainous species but Jabba was worse than most. Compared to him the other Hutts were nice and the other Hutts thought his sexual attraction to humanoid women was disturbing. He also had less family loyalty than the other Hutt characters. And frequently when he berated a much younger Han Solo for breaches of Etiquette "Lord Jilac!?! Can't you see that she is Lady Jilac now?" Jilac was like "Be cool Jabba, he's an ignorant human and doesn't know better, and he's a good pilot."

My favorite slice of Hutt culture was when a young Han mSolo and an older smuggler were hired to deliver a a threatening message from one Hutt to another. "I've seen Hutt tempers, do they kill the messenger."

"Well they used to but during a major inter-clan war so many messagers were being killed the Hutts couldn't find anyone willing to deliver messages. Price of messagers was bankrupting the Hutts so the clans signed a treaty to agree to stop killing messengers."

5. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Precisely! The words "disgusting" or "repugnant" may also be freely subbed in.

Definitely the Disney side; that thing ain't no Jedi. :D

6. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

I’ll just be happy if the Old bird survives E9.

LizardWizard likes this.
  7. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Almost gave it to #4, but Chewie is immortal so far...

8. Aginor
    Slann

Yeah, that's one of the things where I like that the EU is not canon anymore. Man, it sucks being crushed to death by.... a moon falling on your head.

9. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

My friends and I were huge fans of the novel Star Wars EU but we gradually drifted away. Once Chewie died that was the last nail in the coffin. Though really I think the authors that started taking over the series were getting less good. Young Jedi Knights had a lot of potential but they just went through a series of kid sized versions of stuff their parents already did. :(

Warden and Aginor like this.
  10. Aginor
    Slann

The EU had some really great content, like Thrawn, Heir to the Empire (Mara Jade and so on), Jedi Knight, the Old Republic stuff like Nomi Sunrider/Exar-Kun/Ulic Qel-Droma and some others.
    Darth Bane as well.

...but let's face it: It also had a TON of phenomenally bad content.

Related links:
    https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-12-worst-things-in-the-star-wars-expanded-universe-5988376

https://www.cnet.com/news/hate-the-last-jedi-star-wars-expanded-universe-was-way-worse/

Scalenex likes this.
  11. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

As opposed to losing Han, Luke and George Lucas under the Disney banner?

The EU has some really bad content, but it also had some really good content that the Disney era of Star Wars just can't live up to.

12. Aginor
    Slann

Yet. Give them some time, the EU also took quite a while for good content.

It might surprise you, but yes.

There will surely be more Han and Luke content, just not in movies because the actors are just too old and people bitched around when they replaced one, even for a prequel.
    Just like there is some new Vader content in comic form (which is pretty good btw). So no, not lost. Not any more than in the pre Disney era. We didn't have Luke or Han in a Star Wars movie in 40 years. (Unless you count the baby scene in Ep3).
    And both their death scenes were well done IMO so IMO that's a better solution than what was done in the EU.

And Lucas.... well, I think it was him who was at fault for the bad stuff in Ep1-3 so I think I can live without him.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  13. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

So far they are on a downward trajectory, so I'm not overly optimistic (anymore, I was originally).

People bitched because the movie was poorly done. Donald Glover's Lando portrayal was very well done for instance so there wasn't much compliant about that aspect, but overall the movie stunk (and deservedly lost money in the box office!!).

You are entitled to your opinion, but objectively Luke's death was a major contributor to dividing the fan base. Pissing off half of your target audience is never a good thing.

Lucas definitely did some questionable things, but he also created and gave us all the best things about Star Wars. At least under him it still felt like real Star Wars. At least under him there was no infusion of identity politics. At least under him, choices were made for story reasons as opposed to outside influences (even if some of the story decisions didn't pan out perfectly). At least under him no Star Wars movie lost money at the box office. At least under him, the PT felt like a thought out, planned and unified story.

George Lucas >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Kathleen Kennedy + Rian Jonhson

I've done my fair share of bashing of elements of the prequel trilogy (and still hold the same stance), but for all their mistakes they still felt like Star Wars movies. I would trade away this new stuff for more prequel content in a heart beat.

Interestingly enough, they seemed to have botched Galaxy's Edge (the Disneyland Star Wars theme park), where attendance is abysmally low. Not sure if the trend will continue, but it warms my Sith heart!

14. Aginor
    Slann

They did so before even seeing the movie.
    Also many of them didn't watch it because they disliked TLJ, not the movie itself.

As for Lucas: I disagree there a lot. Lucas specifically tailored the franchise toward selling toys. There were LOADS of stuff Lucas did that were not for the best of the franchise.
    He frequently didn't stick to his own scripts, just to include something cool, even ditching parts of the story because story wasn't that important for him. All kinds of documentaries about the making of the OT and the prequels confirm that.

As for "feels like Star Wars", that's pretty opinion based I guess. To me all the recent Star Wars movies captured the essence of Star Wars pretty well, even Rogue One (which did stray away from it, but that's OK for a spinoff). Almost too much (which was a bit sad in TFA because they went a bit too far). There has to be a change in Star Wars, otherwise we will end up with a lot of rehashes like in the EU.

15. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Nothing wrong with that. It's the only way to send Disney a message. #boycott

I'm not saying that everything he did was perfect, but he wasn't trying to push a political agenda. He did follow the rule of cool, and even when it didn't quite work out, at least the intent was good.

As far as the aim of selling toys... let's not make that comparison, we're talking about Disney here!!!

Solo didn't feel like a Star Wars movie at all.
    TLJ pretty much shit on the history of Star Wars.

TFA was simply a rehash. It had good potential leading into episode VIII, but then they dropped the ball and tarnished the ST.
    Rogue One had a different tone, but it did fit into the SW universe.

16. Aginor
    Slann

Ehmm... no.

As for the boycott: yes that's OK, but if the reason for not watching Solo is boycott, that means that it isn't saying anything about people liking or not liking Solo.

17. Lizerd
    Skink Priest

Lizerd Well-Known Member

You mean boycott star Wars? That’s easy: just find some third party site and pirate the new stuff!

I will be flat here: the quality of Star Wars has been on a severe decline. While 1-3 were pretty crap so is the new stuff. There is literally nothing new, except for recycled plot lines, boring characters and other crap. As for the far left stuff, I have some pretty mixed opinions. In general I think that the trilogy is still going to be pushed forward, with worse and worse movies.

Anways that’s why I prefer good, Roman, entertainment: gladiatorial combat in the coliseum! Now that’s what I am talking about!

Last edited: Jul 6, 2019
  18. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Ehmm... yes!

Depends what the boycott is over.
    • TLJ
    • Disney's handling of SW in general
    • the incompetence of Kathleen Kennedy
    • the leaks about Solo and what the creators were saying about it [i.e. pansexual Lando]
    • reactions to the trailer
    • the way the creators of Solo treat the fans online

Some of these things tie in directly with Solo and others do not. However, if Solo had been spectacular, word of mouth would have surely have pushed it into the profitable range. TLJ may have been responsible for starting the movement, but Solo did everything to keep it rolling along.

19. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

I think the prequels had some really crap elements to it, but also some really good ones. Prequel fans have benefited the most from the sequel trilogy because all the hate has been transferred over.

20. Lizerd
    Skink Priest

Lizerd Well-Known Member

Yeah that’s probably more accurate, but dammit I cannot stand Jar Jar. And then there is the whole pedophilia with anakin and Padme, that stuff was legit disturbing

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.