1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Predictions for Warhammer 8th Edition Armies: Lizardmen

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Discussion' started by SouthlandLizardman, Mar 27, 2012.

1. Kai-Tli
    Skink

Kai-Tli New Member

I'm also hoping for the return of spawnings. What I personally like to see is a boost in WS. I'm also hoping for a kroxigor boost. And maybe Nakai or a hero/lord slot for a Kroxigor. Other then that I hope they don't make the Slann Mage weaker and get the generation back. I am personally a big fan of Big Names, Vampiric powers, Gifts of chaos,... So I would like to see that in de LM codex (Spawnings)

Maybe a plastic terradon release (Please no finecast!) and I like the idea of a Slann Mage on a stegadon.
    And maybe a retouch of the special characters (Not that i use them much)
    But these are only hopes and I don't know what GW will do...

2. Maazie
    Cold One

Maazie Member

... I predict a new class of lord. Relic-Priests.

Eh it would make sense.

3. Clockwork
    Cold One

Clockwork Member

I was out of warhammer for a while, and when I came to 8th and started looking here I was very ignorant (and my posting history will probably attest to this). That said, I've now come to realise that I don't think that there is a lot needed to bring Lizardmen into 8th edition. By all accounts they seem to be doing pretty well, so I'd imagine just a couple of tweaks/possible nerfs and new units are all in order. The nerf hammer doesn't need to fall on us nearly as much as Skaven, Dark Elves, Daemons or Warriors apparently need - but by the same token, we could use an internal balance adjustment just as much as Vampires got.

Obviously Slann and Salamanders are up for the nerf hammer, but I wouldn't expect anything else to take too much of a hit. Maybe Saurus Warriors will get a points hike, but that would make me a sad panda and I think they are appropriately costed for their efficiency.

What I would expect is for Skink-Kroxigor and Slann-Temple Guard to be tweaked to fit with 8th edition. As it stands both units are a bit of an aberration in that they don't mesh very well with the "everything attacks in 2 ranks" mindset of 8th. I really hope Skink-Krox don't go back to that horrible different unit synergy they used to have, though, but I realise that they are one of the few unique (immune to stomp, can't attack the Kroxigor) units that exist and that probably has to change. I also hope that Slann go back to the third rank so that I get 2 full ranks of TG attacking. It made sense in previous editions that they were in rank 2 when that wasn't infringing on the combat efficiency of the second unit. Admittedly in 8th you are only losing out on 2 additional attacks, but sometimes that's all that matters.

On rules tweaking, I wouldn't be surprised if the Stegadon howdah crew can't be shot any more (like the other new howdah monsters), and Kroxigors either get a points decrease or a tweak to halberds/strength 6 with hand weapons. Something also clearly needs to happen with Saurus Cavalry, and that something is likely a points decrease.

Rumours of a new giant monster are, I think, overrated. We already have a 3-way kit in the Stegadon and I think anything topping that would just diminish the Stegadon itself. We don't need anything bigger/better than that. Anything a new monster can do the Stegadon can just be updated to do instead.

Given that, judging by the new VC and Empire releases what I think is likely is some sort of multi-kit support unit. Looking at the Lizardman fluff (Aztecs + Old One warriors) the most likely options are probably a Slann Relic-Priest/Sacrifical Altar dual kit support unit.

Speaking of new units, one of the aspects of the Lizardman background I find compelling is that Saurus' grow tougher and harder the more they age. Most of these Saurus pass to Scar-Veterans and Oldbloods, but a type that is overwhelmed with blood frenzy, or becomes strong without developing the associated mental faculties to lead armies would also be interesting avenues to explore.

Finally, I would stake money on a new monstrous cavalry unit - judging by the Empire demigrpyph Knights. In fact, it would make a sort of sense if Saurus Cavalry go down in points with no further rules changes, and a better but more expensive demigryph knight/mournfang cavalry unit is introduced.

4. Daeghrefn
    Saurus

Daeghrefn New Member

I think we will definitely get some kind of monstrous cavalry unit. Monstrous cav is the new cav... Everyone seems to be getting them.
    Have you guys noticed that all the new plastic monster kits are absolutely huge? I stood the carnosaur next to a Tomb Kings necrosphinx and an Empire Griffon, and it looked puny in comparison.
    I bet they'll nerf the Carnosaur, possibly turning that into a monstrous cavalry model, and create a large plastic kit of some sort to replace it.

I really hope we get some way to protect it, other than "Hope the other guy doesn't have artillery".
    :beaver:

5. Moniker
    Kroxigor

Moniker Member

I doubt the Carnosaur will be nerfed. It's supposed to be the ultimate predator, the only natural threat to the Stegadon. That'd be silly.

6. Durandal
    Cold One

Durandal Member

It is also one of the few (if not only) Monster-type mounts that is not a Large Target; it's a glass-cannon counter unit, more meant to augment the Old-Blood riding it, to be honest (not that most giant mounts stand up to snuff, look at the new Imperial Griffon: Large Target, so huge you'll always get LOS, T5 no save. Skinks can kill that. In CC.) This isn't a bad thing, mind, just something to be aware of. Now, if you want baby-carnosaurs as your Monstrous Cav, and then give us Carnosaur Alphas/Brood Mothers, sure, I'd get behind that.
    I could see the Carnie getting upped in size and part of a combined kit. I figure a Coatl would be pretty easy to incorporate into the design, you just need a separate head, wings, and something to fill in the leg sockets.

And I'd hardly call the Stegadon a 3-way kit. That's like saying the new Griffon kit makes three different monsters.

7. Ejpok
    Temple Guard

Ejpok New Member

I would love to see some Heavy hitting Saurus!!! With GW and HA, put them i rare and cost the at 25 points, I just want to see Epic Saurus in Heavy Armour:)
    As for the new plastic Kit I bet my kidney that we will get a Slann on a Stegadon kit. Every army has a lord/hero choice on a ridden moster, And a Slann on a Stegadon would boost thier sales (no to menation the pure epicness of a potential kit:)

8. CN45
    Skink

CN45 New Member

My biggest fear is that Cruddace will write this codex and just throw up all over the old 7th ed book. Is Andy Hoare still a writer at GW?

9. Ejpok
    Temple Guard

Ejpok New Member

No, I'm afraid he only writes for BL at the momment:(
    I played WH40K since 3rd Edition. Tyranids are my army of choice, Crudacce Can't Do It to me again!! (spoil the codex:)

10. CN45
    Skink

CN45 New Member

Ya i have the Tyranids codex also and talk about pounding square peg into round hole lol.

11. FavoredoftheOldOnes
    Terradon

FavoredoftheOldOnes Member

Wow. Reading everyone's responses I'd say everyone has very valid points. I for one can't say what to expect but I would like to see:

1. Krox get fixed. Whether that means same points cost but with T5 and S5 and additional weapon options or keeping them as is and lowering their cost is fine with me. Although I'd prefer the first one :). Oh and make them plastic or in the very least resin please.

2. I didn't start playing lizardmen until 7th edition so I never was able to use the sacred spawnings. However, I have read enough articles about them and also looked at them pretty extensively in the old book and I would love to see them in our 8th edition book. They seem really cool and in the very least it adds uniqueness to the army (something I think GW is robbing all armies of but thats a conversation for a different thread).

3. Making razordons more appealing and making them and sallies into plastic or at least resin.

4. For the love of God please fix our retarded ass looking Cold Ones. They all look like they have mental sickness and their teeth claws are so dully sculpted who the hell would be afraid of them? Yes, I undersatand they are "stupid" but the DE cold ones look AMAZING. Like real true raptors. I mean come on, WE ARE LIZARDMEN! NOT THEM! Excuse me, moving on...

5. Give us some kind of stand alone monster in the form of a large herbivorous or carnivorous dinosaur (maybe a more bad ass version of the carnosaur or just remake him a bit) or perhaps a giant snake or maybe even a giant aquatic/amphibious serpent or sea monster. I realize we have the stegadon but its more of a great big support unit and not a stand alone unit.

6. Not as horrible looking as the cold ones but terradons could use some fixing up/resculpting. Make them plastic too please and yes I like the idea of a skink priest mounted on top of one as some of you have mentioned already.

7. Maybe some new type of swarm unit in the form of deadly red ants or somethng along those lines would look really cool.

8. If it makes things easier maybe they can combo pack the new krox and some other new monstrous infantry type unit.

Ok I'm done :)

12. FavoredoftheOldOnes
    Terradon

Just to be clear I dont want to sound like I'm complaining or anything (minus the retarded looking cold ones of ours) this is just new/improved things I would LOVE to see in our new book. I absolutely love reptiles and amphibians ever since I was kid and I LOVE this army for that reason (and many others) alone. Thanks :).

13. FavoredoftheOldOnes
    Terradon

Oh yes forgot to mention 3 other things that I would love to see:

9. The option of a lord choice skink priest (maybe call it a relic priest?) and give it and the skink priests more lore options or #11 below.

10. A Couatl. I would LOVE to see that. Whether it be a lord choice as a new magic user or a new monstrous infantry bad ass casting unit. Either or is fine with me just please make one GW :)

11. Lastly, I'd love to see us get our own lore. Someone mentioned a name like Lore of the Old Ones. That sounds cool or even Lore of the Jungle :).

14. Charistoph
    Skink

Charistoph New Member

You do know Coatl means serpent, right?

Part of its associations with the Lizardmen come from the Mayan legend of the Quetzlcoatl, or Feathered Serpent, who was lord of Heaven (Feathers) and Earth (Serpent). Oddly enough, some versions of this legend have him being bearded and pale skinned, and were carried into Aztec lore allowing the Spanish to conquer the Aztecs and Mayans with relative ease.

But enough about mythology, I could see a Coatl being a reverse Cygor with Flight, though a MI version of Horrors would be down right nasty.

15. Clockwork
    Cold One

Clockwork Member

Darnok over at Warseer is hinting Summer next year for a Lizardman release...

16. Ejpok
    Temple Guard

Ejpok New Member

Which would be After the new daemons army book. That could turn out to be true..:D

17. Raithial
    Saurus

Raithial New Member

what I'd like to see in the new book would have to be
    - Spawnings (it was awesome last gen, but how I have a crapload of Saurus without the ability to field them in the specials or rares)
    - Nakai (gotta love the fluff, and with the new Krox models, I would love to see him in a strong massive pose.)
    - Salamanders get more expensive (for fairness sake, those things roast 3/4th of the enemy without too much trouble)
    - some kind of vicious beasts and monsters. Coatl, Arcanodon, or perhaps some kind of Stegosaur or a beast that would trump even the Carnosaur.
    - Flying priests! Who wouldn't want to cast magic from the back of a terradon!
    - Greatweapons! we already have I1 for a large part, might as well give'm +2S
    - our own lore. (preferrably with a Magic Missile and a healing vortex.
    - Southlands Armies; I loved the idea of Southlands armies, and often fielded them in non-competitive games, and having them use warbeasts or slaves
    - extra ancient machine/magic stuff

I hope that some of these things will be accessable in the new book, and even only a few of these things will definitely make our books more worthwhile and make games a load of fun 8D

18. elmoheadbutt
    Cold One

elmoheadbutt New Member

About flying casters, don't we already have skink priest with feathered cloak?

19. Walgis
    Ripperdactil

Walgis New Member

With the new pricing i predict that i will proxy alot :D

20. Taipan
    Temple Guard

Taipan Member

Looking at the more recent releases, I'd say it's not hard to predict what will happen;

Magic items:

Prepare for a wasteland of howling nothingness and fail. GW have successfully ruined every magic armoury(Ogres being a possible exception, as the Greedy Fist+Death magic combo is stupidly broken) since O&G with their updates, expect ours to get flushed down the drain as well. No Cupped Hands, no Cube, no Plaque....they will leave us with the 'Leadership test or die' sword, the flame sword, and two banners. I'm not joking, Empire had exactly that happen to them, and they are one the 'poster' armies.

Lords:

Slann: Nerfed to hell, given they are one of the few genuinely powerful units in our army. Expect terrible and overpriced Disciplines, no more Loremaster, no more free dice...and the BSB+General trick will be gone. We will get a new Lore, likely with the stupid rules that Vamps have (one Slann must have the Lore of the Old Ones, which is full of terrible spells and is mostly useless).

Old-Blood: They'll probably just increase his price, whatever new monster we get will be a mount option for him (Coatl seems likely, as the Dread Saurian has already been done in 'Monstrous Arcanum').

SC's: Expect a few new ones, equally as worthless as our current bunch. A few of our 'common' magic items are going to get shifted onto our SC's, as a further slap in the face. Price reductions are possible, but don't bet on it, they're unlikely to make them more powerful.

Heroes:

Scar-Vet: Increase his price, he's too cost-effective

Skink Priest: Most likely will get more Lore options, I'm guessing Beasts and Metal being two they could choose to give him. EOTG will get nerfed, either by a price increase or nerfed powers. New Old One tech is likely, so we might have the multiple powers split between different Engines.

Skink Chief: Same as before, mild price reduction if nothing else

Core:

Saurus: Stay the same, may increase in price depending on how good their coffee is that morning

Skinks: Same as before, might bring back bows if they feel generous

Special:

Unknown: New Monstrous Cavalry unit, they can't do Monstrous Infantry because we already have Kroxigor. They'll probably be well-priced, well-equipped, and an auto-include (to sell the new box of them)

Temple Guard: They'll have their shields taken off them, then be forced to pay extra to get them back (they did it to Tomb Kings and Vamps). They may reduce the price prior to shield costing, we'll have to wait and see.

Camo Skinks: No change

Krox: Mild price reduction, they won't fix them though, enjoy going last forever

COR: Mild price reduction maybe

Steg: New monster will likely be here or Rare, and will probably overshadow it with newer and cooler abilities. Doubt they'll fix the giant bow

Terradons: Same as before I imagine, they might take away Drop Rocks because its too powerful

Rare:

Ancient Steg: See regular Steg, blowpipes will still be terrible, new monster will be here if not Special so again, most likely will be overshadowed

Salamanders: Because every tard who doesn't play Lizardmen bleats about it, they'll nerf them into the ground and make them unplayable for another edition. Hooray, another nail in the coffin

Razordons: Move and shoot most likely, slight price increase to reflect this, they won't get more powerful though

All in all, set sail for fail.