1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Reading anything good?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Deathfrisbee2000, Jan 10, 2010.

1. Guardian of Hexoatl
    Temple Guard

Guardian of Hexoatl New Member

Yeah, lol it was only showed in certain theaters in the US and it isn't a big seller on dvd either. I love Tucker Max though no matter how critics despise him lol

2. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Yeah the actor they got for him wasn't very likable... Just watched the movie, I definitely prefer the stories though. Movie was ok, nothing special. Maybe ruined because I knew what was going to happen most of the time.

3. Deathfrisbee2000
    Kroxigor

Deathfrisbee2000 New Member

This Tucker guy sounds interesting. What kind of stuff has he written? Plus, you can't go wrong with a name like Tucker Max!

--DF2K

4. Guardian of Hexoatl
    Temple Guard

He isn't a dedicated author lol He's actually a lawyer. He has a website were he publishes all of theses stories about his college days and the crazy stuff he did during them. The book "I hope they serve beer in Hell" was a compilation of these stories. He has a new book coming out called assholes finish first to. I think Strewart is right about the knowing whats gonna happen lol The movie is way predictable if you've already read his stories.

5. strewart
    OldBlood

You can read most of the stories in his blog here, a warning they are quite adult related in content. No pictures so should be work safe, unless you have to explain to your boss what you are laughing so hard at.

I know he trained to be a lawyer, but I thought he decided to be an author instead because he found law so boring.

6. Deathfrisbee2000
    Kroxigor

Deathfrisbee2000 New Member

Started rereading the Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter novels. If you skip over all the overly-detailed sex scenes, it's a good modern supernatural world.

--DF2K

7. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

I just started reading the Repairman Jack series by F. Paul Wilson. If you like a Good vs Evil story, this is it. Jack is a 'repairman' that fixes problems that people cannot go to the authorities for (or the authorities cannot help). The first book is the Tomb. They are excellent books and I cannot recommend them enough.

8. Wolfun
    Skink

Wolfun New Member

I just read:

A Song of Ice and Fire series.

Really good and addictive series.

Dexter series:

Also good, if a tad... Different.

9. strewart
    OldBlood

I just got through the Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks, wow that was a brilliant read. Really good character development and intriguing plot. The finish in the last book seemed a little rushed, but all in all a good series. Fantasy style by the way.

10. Tlaloc of Xhotl
    Skink

Tlaloc of Xhotl New Member

Ah, just my kind of topic. I devour books like a Slann devours Itxi grubs!

I can recommend

- Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind. Awesome book about a boy genius who has a hard childhood but ends up at university and uses his wits and intelligence, along with his musical talent to fund and complete his first year's education (I think thats the broad plot line). Told in an interesting way with a lot of different aspects to the story and a nice twist at the end that has left me eagerly anticipating the next book.

- Raymond Feist, anything but especially the Empire trilogy with Janny Wurts. A young girl becomes the lady of the house in a world where men are in control and has to survive a harsh political environment through various schemes and shear determination. Most of his books are worth reading although a couple of the latest ones have been a little disappointing.

- Robert Jordan, The Wheel of Time. A LONG series which appealed to me. The characters are interesting if sometimes a little similar in their traits (especially the women) but it's been good enough to keep me reading through all 12 or so books.

- Terry Goodkind, The Sword of Truth. Another long series that I've enjoyed . Especially the one where Richard carves the statue and leads the people in revolt. Also a TV series for the first couple of books at least which, although not great is entertainig.

- Brent Weeks, Night Angel trilogy. Assassin based series which I've been meaning to read for a second time as I have forgotten a lot of it but as I remember it was enjoyable.

- Scott Lynch, The Gentlemen Bastard sequence. I would HIGHLY recommend this series (only 2 books released so far). I had never heard of him before but the story, revolving around a couple of thieves come confidence tricksters is ingenious, funny and exciting. Less magic than other fantasy books which makes it stand apart in a good way. The heroes have only their minds and bodies to achieve the seemingly impossible.

- Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes. I've recently bough a couple of books which contain all the Sherlock Holmes stories and they've been very entertaining. 19th Century writing is very different to modern!

- David Gemmell, anything. I've read all his books and I have not been disappointed. Amazing fantasy writer who sadly passed away recently. Legend is possibly my favourite but most books (actually, probably all) revolve around a larger than life character, sometimes with dubious morals, who do what they have to to change events.

- Peter V. Brett, The Painted Man. Only read the first book but thoroughly enjoyed it. Demons are coming into the world at night and can only be held off by ancient runes that people don't fully understand. Brings together 3 story lines of children who are sick of being afraid and preyed on and who grow up to try and fight. Well written and I'm hoping the second book is as good.

- Terry Brooks, The Shanara series and others. Lots of good books with the classic good vs evil plot. Characters are well written and the series all link into each other. Not read them for a while but would recommend it if you haven't.

- Neil Gaiman, Anansi boys and Good Omens (with Terry Pratchett) especially. Really good, if sometimes (often) bizarre. Deals a lot with old gods from other religions but not exclusively. Really, really odd sometimes. In a good way.

- Trudi Canavan, The Black Magician trilogy. Orphan slum girl discovers magical powers in less than ideal circumstances which raises thorny issues with the magicians guild who didn't realise the poor could have magical talent. Sonea struggles to fit in and deal with the power she never dreamt of.

- William King, Gotrek and Felix. All fantasy players should read this. Only the ones by William King, the others are not that great to be honest.

- Various, The Horus Heresy. I started this last week and I'm on book 6. It's awesome. Even if you don't enjoy 40k I'd recommend it.

- Conn Iggulden, The Emperor series. Julius Caesar's life from childhood to death in a series of novels. Very well written and even though you know the ending you probably don't know any/all of what comes before it. Historically accurate but possibly with a little (but not unbelievable) artistic license for conversations and emotions. Haven't read his Genghis Khan series but I've heard very good things about it. Have also been to see an interview with him. Amazing speaker.

- Simon Scarrow, Macro and Cato series. Another Roman based series following grizzled veteran Macro and new recruit Cato through a number of adventures as they are posted from Germany, to England, to Israel and more. Intrigue and bloody battles throughout and a good impression of life as a Roman soldier.

There's loads more I could suggest but that's probably more than enough for now.

11. Xlcontiqu
    Ripperdactil

Xlcontiqu New Member

My tastes in reading have recently moved to more intellectual books than my more common fantasy readings. So two of my recommendations are:

In Defense of Food, by Michael Pollan. Essentially, it is a critique of the current food culture in North America, more specifically the states. Quite thought-provoking and humurous.

The God Delusion, by Richard Dawkins. I have just started this book and find it to be fantastic. It is a book looking at the God Hypothesis and trying to prove it wrong. Note: I am not very religious, and do not mean to offend anyone who does have religious views.

12. novatomato
    Razordon

novatomato Member

I'm currently reading I Shall Wear Midnight by Terry Pratchett, anything he writes is great and even better now because although he said he was going to stop writting due to alzheimers, it seems he forgot and kept on writting.
    Seriously very good stuff from the man.

13. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

Working on book 8 in the Repairman Jack series. I will be taking a break next week to read Towers OF Midnight (Wheel of Time book out next week).

14. strewart
    OldBlood

I'm reading Shadown King, by Gav Thorpe. Not very far into it yet, but thoroughly enjoying it so far. I haven't read the first book in the series, not sure if I am missing anything important or not.

15. Dreadgrass
    Ripperdactil

Dreadgrass Member

Highly recommend anything David Eddings - especially the Belgariad and Mallorean

Currently reading the Richard Sharpe Series by Bernard Cornwell - Essentially the historic story of the Indian "Colonisation" by the british and the Napoleonic wars with a little poetic license by injecting his character into the various battles etc. Historically accurate but entertaining!

16. Eternity_Warden
    Terradon

Eternity_Warden New Member

Have you watched any of the TV adaptation of Sharpe? I love it :p

17. Larinus
    Chameleon Skink

Larinus New Member

Currently reading 'The Eagle' series by Simon Scarrow - very good Roman fiction book. 'The Demon King' by Cinda Williams Chima is also very good.

18. Guardian of Hexoatl
    Temple Guard

Yeah! I'm with Strewart :) I'm reading Shadow king right now by Gav Thorp. Good book so far, I'm on Chapter 5. I actually Haven't Read Malekith (First in the series) Either lol weird, me and Strew are in the same boat here.

19. Dreadgrass
    Ripperdactil

Dreadgrass Member

Yep, got it all on DVD as it never seemed to air in AUS... watching it through for the 2nd time atm actually ;)

Its great because its so different to the books, but links in enough to get the right feel

20. strewart
    OldBlood

Haha cool! I think I am at about chapter 7 or 8, just into 'part 2'. I didn't even know there was a first book in the series until I looked on the inside cover.

Malekith. Interested to see how he falls.

I'm somewhat annoyed that Aenerion seems to have only been released as an audio book, I'd read it and the cover art for it is amazing.