1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Realmshaper Engine good ro useless?

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Ustyk, Apr 7, 2020.

1. ILKAIN
    Skink Chief

ILKAIN Well-Known Member

yeah but that roll of comes AFTER placement. too big a gamble for most people

LizardWizard likes this.
  2. ILKAIN
    Skink Chief

ILKAIN Well-Known Member

I absolutely misspoke, I don't know why I thought it was you that told me it, here is the quote (def not you lol)

LizardWizard likes this.
  3. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

Very true.

It doesn't feel like my opponent having the RSE in their territory will be too much of a boon to them though. It is a large piece of terrain that is impassible to units without fly. It doesn't have any terrain rules such as Arcane, Mystical, ect. And it can't be within 6" of an objective. Seraphon are much less reliant on our alpha strikes than we use to be. Combine these traits with a very small number of armies who are going to greatly benefit from garrisoning 20 wounds not on a objective and I feel in most cases our risk will be low and potential benefit will be high.

Nart likes this.
  4. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Well, it's not "in depth", but i've covered it in my seraphon overview ;)

LizardWizard likes this.
  5. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Meh, issue is mostly how common those armies are that will be able to use it to their advantage. Say a guaranteed loss for 2 slightly easier wins seems like a bad trade-off in a tournament setting...

LizardWizard likes this.
  6. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

I don't think that is actually the case. Cities of Sigmar with Irondrake spam, Disciples of Tzeentch Flamer spam, and Ossiarch Bone Reapers can all be severely hampered by the RSE. Due to those armies mobility needs there isn't much potential risk for them winning the territory roll in my opinion. I might not put the RSE front and center in a deployment if the opponent has Nagash, but otherwise I think it really helps in those 3 match ups and doesn't offer much to the opponent.

7. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

I think that'l depend heavily on how good a player you are, and how able you are to let go of the RSE. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of players end up overcommiting to trying to retake the RSE simply because giving your opponent a free "advantage" just feels very wrong, even if the advantage is more or less irrelevant.

Plus, if you end up placing it in a corner anyway to avoid this it's not like you yourself will have a particularly great advantage either..

So yeah, unless it gets F.A.Q.-ed or someone figures out an interesting usecase I would kind of expect it to fade into obscurity...

Cuetzpal Pilli and LizardWizard like this.
  8. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

Decided it would be fun to write a RSE dedicated guide. It is still in the beginning stages. Please feel free to commit, critique, and add to the converstion!

Nart, Killer Angel and Cuetzpal Pilli like this.
  9. Alladin the Paladin
    Chameleon Skink

Alladin the Paladin Well-Known Member

I also remember someone saying it must be placed. The fact that you can opt not to is refreshing.

LizardWizard likes this.
  10. Nart
    Carnasaur

Nart Well-Known Member

I tried Killer Angel's Arcane ruins trick with RSE, and it really hepled me today. My CoS opponent (fairly new in AoS but and experienced wargamer in general) gladly took side with RSE from me, while leaving me with arcane ruins. As a result 3 out of 4 turns Kroak "overcast" Comet's call. I think, I did more mortal wounds because of Arcane Ruins than I could with RSE.

My opponent garrisoned sorceress on black dragon in it and, as a result, she did almost nothing before dying in Carnosaur's Jaws. I am sure, that it is a win-win situation in 90% of the games.

11. Killer Angel
    Slann

Excellent! :)

Nart likes this.
  12. Grotpunter
    Troglodon

Grotpunter Well-Known Member

Pace 62 in our battletome:

“When terrain is set up for the battle, any Realmshaper Engine terrain features must be set up by the player whose army they are a part of...”

It doesnt say can, it specifically says must.

13. Killer Angel
    Slann

Yes, that's right, but FAQ says that terrains are not part of the army, so...?

That "must" means that the player must place it before the placement of all other terrains. The "must" just defines the timing of the placement that you are forced to follow.
    You are never forced to set up anything. If i don't set-up the units in reserve they are killed.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2020
    Nart and Erta Wanderer like this.
  14. Grotpunter
    Troglodon

Normally, yeah. But if a rule specifically tells you that you must, it is kinda irrelevant.

The FAQ certainly makes it kinda iffy and makes the whole wording questionable in my eyes.

Killer Angel likes this.
  15. Killer Angel
    Slann

you're right.
    My take (and here i am trying to make up an interpretation) is that we have two rules that are colliding.
    the FAQ is pretty clear, so i must conclude that the reference to the RE being a part of the army is just wrong.
    That brings us to the "must", which at this point i connect to the timing (the RE must be placed before other terrains), rather than the fact that you must set-up it.

This, of course, while we wait for another clarification by GW (which they seem to made up by flipping a coin)

Grotpunter, Nart and Erta Wanderer like this.
  16. Grotpunter
    Troglodon

Honestly Im really surprised there were so few answers in our FAQ. I feel like every week I stumble upon some super questionable rules where a FAQ is needed. Once tournaments start again Im certain we will see even more odd interactions that need explaining.

But yes I agree the FAQ you linked in the other thread indicates you have a choice in placement. Im just kinda sad they didnt make it super clear in the wording in our tome.

17. Nart
    Carnasaur

Nart Well-Known Member

We can see more clarifications after GHB or by the end of the year.

Cuetzpal Pilli likes this.
  18. Blitzkriyg
    Temple Guard

Blitzkriyg Well-Known Member

This specifically refers to things like the
    Numinous Occulum or azerite ruins that have warscrolls but you can't take in an army and aren't used in matched play, not faction terrain

19. Killer Angel
    Slann

Then the logical answer would have been "only faction terrains can be part of your army roster"

Erta Wanderer likes this.
  20. Blitzkriyg
    Temple Guard

Blitzkriyg Well-Known Member

The FAQ you quoted was one of the first before faction terrain was a thing

Grotpunter likes this.