1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Redirecting charge question

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by ahbrown42, Jan 26, 2015.

1. ahbrown42
    Jungle Swarm

ahbrown42 New Member

Here is the set up.

My opponent had a unit of Necroknights a few inches from my unit of skink skirmishers. Another 6ish inches behind my skirmishers was a unit of saiurus. Half way between my skinks and saurus and about 4 inches off to the side was a unit of Kroxigors.

My opponent declared a charge on the skinks. I decided to flee. Therefore the skinks turned 180 and I rolled for distance. The flee distance placed my skinks in the middle of the saurus unit so I placed them 1 inch behind.

My opponent wanted to redirect to the Kroxes. So he took a leadership test and failed, meaning he had to pursue the skinks.

So our interpretation of the rules was that because charging the skinks would put him in contact with the saurus unit that this was an impossible charge. Because he failed the leadership test his only choice was to engage the fleeing skinks, therefore the end result was that the necroknights had to stay exactly where they were and not move.

Did we get that right?

2. LawGnome
    Chameleon Skink

LawGnome Active Member

You almost have that right. The knights still move up to 1" away from the saurus. They have to chase their target, and just because they run into the saurus doesn't mean that they can be in combat with them.

It is kind of a silly rule, when you think about it. "Charge! Kill those skinks! Oh, wait, pardon us, Mr. Saurus. We didn't see you there. Men, halt! I know we wanted to rip those skinks apart, but the saurus were here first. We will just have to wait for them to move before we can do something."

This is especially funny with frenzy.

3. Gogery
    Saurus

Gogery Member

I believe that you were incorrect. On page 58, pursuit into a new enemy says,

"If a pursuit move would take the pursuer into contact with an enemy unit, then the pursuers must charge the enemy unit. Carry out the charge as you would in the Movement phase, following all the normal restrictions. However, you do not need to roll for the charge range - we already know from the pursuit roll that these unwitting chargers have momentum to reach the foe"

Unless im missing a part of this situation somehow xD.

4. Agrem
    Kroxigor

Agrem Active Member

The above situation was taking place in the movement phase when declaring/moving charges. So therefore the procedure is as per Lawgnome described.

Pursuit into a new enemy happens after the enemy has broken from combat and you decided to chase ie. pursuit in the close combat phase.

BR
    Agrem

5. Gogery
    Saurus

Gogery Member

Ah, okay, I understand now ;) . Thanks for the clarification!

6. eron12
    Saurus

eron12 Active Member

It would be a failed charge and the knights would move inches equal to the highest charge die, unless this would take them within an inch of the saurus, in which case they would stop.

7. owain_b
    Saurus

owain_b Member

This is interesting, in this scenario how would you decide if the knight caught the skinks as the skinks have had an extra boost in the distance rolled by ending up 1" the other side of the saurus? Would you measure the charge distance required to the point the skinks finished within the unit of saurus or to the point the other side of the saurus where they actually ended up? Or is it simply inpossible to catch them at all regardless of distance due to the suarus unit being in the way?

8. Screamer
    Temple Guard

Screamer Member

Yes, if the Knights can't reach the skinks because of the "impassable terrain" (saurus in this case) he can't Catch them whatever the charge-distance. If he is able to, by normal rules with one Wheel during the chargemove, reach the skinks he is allowed to do so. But if the saurus blocks the move he has to stop 1" away.

9. owain_b
    Saurus

owain_b Member

Wow, cant believe I have missed this all this time. Having a very cheap chaff unit in front of your combat units means 9 time out of 10 you get the charge off when the chaff runs. Great against khorne daemons and dwarves that get +1 str on the charge :)

10. LawGnome
    Chameleon Skink

LawGnome Active Member

Be sure you have 2 units of chaff in front of that combat unit. Otherwise they might just redirect into your combat unit, which will then be painful.

Also, your combat unit might run after the chaff flees through them. Keep the general/bsb near.

Otherwise, yes, if they redirect into a chaff unit that runs through your combat unit, they will have to stop and you can get the charge.