1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Rich's log of lizardy sculpts (Now with more Gor-rok)

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Rikard, Aug 5, 2013.

1. T`hinker`er
    Salamander

T`hinker`er Active Member

Re: Build's log of lizardman sculpting and conversions.

It's looking great! Really fierce! And I do believe I have the Seer that you seek.

2. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

I am in the UK though, that could make things expensive, but I really appreciate it.

Cheers mate!

3. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

Qupakoco Keeper of the Dice Staff Member

Whoa, that guy is nasty. Amazing sculpt, Rikard.

I noticed this in passing. Is this still an option, or did you fill up the 5 slots already?

4. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

I didn't fill the slots at all (maybe two people I think) but it's closed, I've got Gamesday coming up so am busy, busy, busy.

5. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

New update, working hard on getting things done and today that means scales....lots and lots of scales...

The basis here is to be mindful of the anatomy underneath, this includes muscles, boney prominences and masses, all of which I will cover below.

So the basic work here is to start getting the larger spikes in, this follow two rules, the first is the largest of the spikes would be towards the center of the masses and the surrounding spikes getting smaller and smaller. The second thing to bear in mind is the placement of the larger spikes with regards to masses and boney prominences.

Boney prominences are unlikely to have any scales covering them, or at the least they would be very small and with a lot of space around them. This is because there is a large amount of muscle attachment to these areas and movement that goes on around them, so being covered in large restrictive spikes does not make any sense as it would limit movement.

AUT_1841_zpsddf764cf.jpg

With the larger spikes and scales down I then work out in all directions each new ring gets smaller and smaller.

AUT_1842_zpsc131c6ba.jpg

I typically work on one side and complete it, check the work and then measure up the second side, this is more of a personal preference thing rather than anything else.

AUT_1845_zps29f7b902.jpg

I've also taken this opportunity to try out some new ideas, in this case those are small scales around the collar bone and adding a larger chunk to be a boney growth that also acts as the manubrium.

AUT_1843_zps624016c5.jpg

AUT_1844_zpsc7a8ff29.jpg

Seraphage and Crowsfoot like this.
  6. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

Small update,

I'm leaving the old thread be, as it got to about 19 pages, which seems a little much for people to have to sort through. However, I will be keeping this one going (until it gets too big) as I have a lot of sculpts to work on (all of them personal pieces, either stuff that takes my fancy or personal projects for my own army(ies).

Just heard back from Felix at AOW, there will be a new Saurian/dragon blood type lizard coming....

Don't know when, but should be soonish (don't quote me on that). I can't tell you which one either, as I sent Felix a total of four greens.

I'll keep you posted.

7. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Caprasauridae Well-Known Member

Maybe people thought that your offer was way too kind and didn't want to take advantage of your generosity too much...

Anyway, thanks for sharing your awesome sculpts! Those weapons the Kroxy is wielding look awesome and the pose is very intimidating! I really like that you also explain your philosophy, so to speak, behind the process. Like how you went on about adding the spikes. I sure would love to see some of your painted miniatures, too. You do paint, don't you?

Keep up the good work, love to see more updates!

8. DarnellTyler
    Jungle Swarm

DarnellTyler New Member

I would love to convert solar engine as it would be lot better for me

9. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

Thank you,

Not sure why or what the reasons were but it turned out to be a blessing in the end, I just don't have the time or energy any more for commission pieces or even paid work for companies, not sure I ever will again, but it's a perfect example of the age old saying "Never mix business and pleasure".

I do paint, but haven't for the last three years.

10. RaulHart
    Jungle Swarm

RaulHart New Member

It seems very effective.. Need to search more about solar engine

11. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

Thought I'd breath a little life back into this topic, helps with posting updates without spamming the tutorial section in Lizardmen discussion.

Anyways here's some more work.

I have a total of THREE saurus characters planned at present (including the one below), though they won't be one after the other, there's plenty of work on other sculpts and conversions (most of them not lizardmen).

I know I'm bouncing around a bit but there's a lot of projects unfinished, so it makes sense for me to post bits from each until I've finished all of them and then having the common sense (arguably) to do one project at a time.

So with that in mind here's a sneaky peak of the body of another Lizard.
    Changing things up a little here with some new posing styles, any questions, just ask, seems a lot more sensible than going into a wall of text like usual.

Photo0189_zpsfibefy75.jpg -phone photo fail.
    AUT_2077_zpsgxcdyimp.jpg - under armature base and build up.
    AUT_2078_zpspbnjweme.jpg - A scaleless and trinketless stage, more work goes over the top of this one, details and extras. You can see the blocks for deltoids I've been laying down, the same technique is used on the pecs to add more than just structure alone.

SlanntaClause and Warden like this.
  12. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

So something happened yesterday that has not happened since 2008, I actually started painting again, no joke here, I full blown started painting again, admittedly it was a Necron Overlord (which I'm far from finished on), but I did start.

I'm hoping this will be the beginning of more work and it will be interesting to see what the time out has done for me, but if it helps, here's an example of the last skink I painted all those years ago.

AUT_0546.jpg

13. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Caprasauridae Well-Known Member

Very nice paint job, clearly your talents are not only limited to sculpting! Maybe you can post pictures of your Overlord, too?

14. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Whhhaaa ?

I thought you where allergic to paint. :D

*good looking Skink though.

15. president kang
    Skink

president kang Member

Hey Rikard, what ever happened to the Krox style models that you sculpted several years ago?

16. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

Which ones? The big squat Kroxigor got sent to Felix (who still has him), I get a few people ask me about it now and again, but I really don't know what's planned for him, I get told when or how soon something I've done is going to be cast or released about a week before it's announced, but I prefer it that way.

Best bet, is ask Felix on the AOW forum, either PM or make a topic.

I'm not sure where the other one is (no idea if I have it somewhere or Felix does), I do know it was too big for casting for Felix.

Loads of real life bits and pieces stopped me from doing any painting...grrr...it's annoying when this happens.
    Didn't help that the Gor Rok body just wasn't right (sometimes you look at a piece you're doing and it bothers you, you can't place your finger on an individual bit, but the whole thing simply doesn't seem to work).

17. pipe stark 77
    Jungle Swarm

pipe stark 77 New Member

Hello, watched the post and remain amazed with your pictures and appreciate the share , I ask what material you are using and if you have any tutorial or image and name that type of tool wear.
    Greetings from chile

18. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

I do indeed, all the info can be found in the link below.

http://www.lustria-online.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=13652&sid=01f2ce4a708f8994875f2b675cdd1043

hopefully not too long before updates in this start coming again, I know it feels like I keep grinding down to inactivity, there's plenty of good reasons for all of it, but nothing I can really post about online (if you get my meaning).

19. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

Oh my, it's been a while since I was last in here *blows dust off thread*

Updates as mentioned in the tutorial sticky, I'm going to try and keep the non tut stuff in here.
    Oh and given how long ago most of my posts were in here, I'd take it as given that plans have changed considerably.
    [​IMG]

20. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

So much amazing work! That is a huge level of detail, all I have ever used is clay. Please post more pictures!

Bowser likes this.