1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Rules refresh

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Snoopdeville3, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Snoopdeville3
    Razordon

Snoopdeville3 Well-Known Member

Hey all, I'm playing my first AoS game in a while. 1000 pts Seraphon vs Beastclaw.

Needed a couple rules clarifications...

I will be running an Eternal Starhost - the add 1 to the result of ay save rolls within 10". Does this give them a 6+ save for mortal wounds? Also does this stack with "Sworn Guardians", if they are with 8" of a Serhp Hero, they add 2 to bravery and 1 to any save roll. Which basically means a 2+ save and 5+ for mortal wounds saves?

Ripperdactyls -

Swooping Dive - When you havent done a swooping dive does this mean they cannot be melee attacked because they are in the air?

Voracious Appetite - I know something got nerfed with this but can't rememeber what exactly. I know the no rerolls of rerolls happened.... so when they swoop down you can no longer keep rolling and rollling. However do you still keep rolling until you get no hits except for the one time reroll?

Last thing - if you can thing of any fun mission scenarios let me know. I have both battletomes and the GHB, so just drop me a page number. If you have a homebrewed scenario, i'd love to hear it!

Thanks all!

Bowser likes this.
  2. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

They get the +2 save as the abilities stack. They do not gain a 6+ save against mortal wounds though.

They can get into melee with units they can reach, so only larger targets will be able to get into melee.

you make the first round of attacks, then the second round of eligible attacks, and no further after that.

Seraphage likes this.
  3. Snoopdeville3
    Razordon

Perfect thanks Bowser.!

Is it legal to put Ripper's on like 18" post to keep them out of melee combat until they swoop down. (cheese I know but Im just wondering lol)

Bowser likes this.
  4. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

You could do that. Perfectly legal...
    You will find you get avoided a lot by other players though! :p

5. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

:confused:
    Since when has the height of a flight stand post mattered?
    :cyclops:

Bowser likes this.
  6. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Since you measure from the model. It's in the FAQ.

Snoopdeville3 likes this.
  7. Snoopdeville3
    Razordon

Ya i kinda wanna do it just cause it looks cool. I see a guy do it with the HE flying chariot thing. I dont play tournaments just friends so i dont really care lol.

Bowser likes this.
  8. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

If you're going to make it an 18" pole, go all the way and make it 30"+. The ripperdactyls only have melee attacks anyway & this way they're truly save from everything. Stupid as this rule my be :p

Bowser and Crowsfoot like this.
  9. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

I did the following: I took the longest pole that was included (3.1" IIRC) and since it is obvioulsy legal to use those I made all my Terradons fly at that altitude using custom made poles of that length.
    ...but since we measure from base to base they can be hit by any stupid grot with a kitchen knife anway, so it doesn't matter.
    I still don't like that rule but I agree with others that flying units would be OP otherwise.

Bowser likes this.
  10. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

I don’t think they would be OP, they would be somewhat useless, if they can't be hit they can’t hit. It would be a waste of points.

Seraphage and Aginor like this.
  11. Aginor
    Slann

I don't know. You are right with Ripperdactyls, but Terradons don't have to be in melee range.
    When I played them they did some decent damage with their bolas (and there is the option to have them carry spears, so they have 8" range). They die quickly though.

I would love to change it to something more realistic, my problems with it are:
    - we play with the houserule for base2base measurement, like most people do. How could I explain to my friend that only for this one unit we will measure to the model? He won't have any advantage, just a huge disadvantage. And I win most games already.
    - my friend's army literally has _three_ units then that can hit them at all: the Maw-Krusha (ok he's good but he has to go wherever I drop those Terradons and uses so much space he can't move that freely), the Aleguzzler (who will probably never catch them) and his Wardokk (using arcane bolt, not exactly great). I would be able to hammer his guys all day long with a relatively cheap (140pt) unit. I imagine playing six of them. Or more. I would probably replace half of my army with Terradons. :D

And those aren't even the really good flying ranged units. There are some that are much stronger. Thinking Gyrocopter, Gyrobomber, Skycutters, Glade Lord on Eagle, or Warhawk Riders. (I only quickly searched through Order, there might be more). Most of those have a very good move, and ranged weapons with 16" to 20" range. So - unlike Terradons - they can even stay outside charge range. Wouldn't that mean that an army without a good amount of shooting or air forces - like Ironjawz - could never win against those?

Bowser likes this.
  12. Bracnos
    Carnasaur

Bracnos Well-Known Member

I just added a simple rule put a dice to show how many inches in the air and they cant take objectives unless they "land" but can fly freely in the air and attack if they have the range attacks. it adds a new Z angle to combat like "if I don't have archers" I wont be able to hit those flying stormcast" makes a all melee player have to think. Its simple and easy to follow

Bowser likes this.
  13. Aginor
    Slann

Does that apply to all flying models?
    I'm asking because my impression is that there are two kinds of flying units in the game:
    1 those which I imagine flying all the time, like Terradons, or a Sorceress on a Black Drageon, such stuff
    2 those which I imagine flying when moving but land at the end of each movement phase, like Stormcast (which I imagine as "flying" close to the ground, like extended jumps), maybe even a Maw-Krusha. Don't know, they just _look_ like it IMO.
    3 those which I imagine don't really fly, but hover, like a Slann, a Starseer. Pretty much only flying for the purpose of crossing other units. Similar to Option 2.

Bowser likes this.
  14. Snoopdeville3
    Razordon

I think it applies to the Rippers and Terradons because of the "Swooping Dive" ability. So with someone else thats flying, you move them into melee range, but since they do not have this ability, they would be locked in the air and not able to attack, unless their weapon can reach of course.

Bowser likes this.
  15. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

The rippers and terradons are the only ones for whom the height really make sense since they have a specific ability tied to it.. plus neither the terradons or rippers are particularly scary, they don't carry much in terms of ranged firepower... however you'l run into issues with the mages on dragons and the like with this rule..

Bowser likes this.
  16. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Remember the 8 inch range has to be vertical, so if you are 30 inches up, you don't have the range. You get the drop rocks, but that will be all they can do until they swoop.

17. Drofnum
    Cold One

Drofnum Well-Known Member

This is all solved by just measuring base to base :p Every game i've ever played flying has only mattered in the movement phase and does not impact anything else. It basically just means they dont have to worry about terrain or moving through enemy models.

InfamousBeany and Bowser like this.
  18. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

To be honest, that's kinda lame about flying... they should've made a different rule for it..

Bowser likes this.
  19. Drofnum
    Cold One

Drofnum Well-Known Member

I disagree, I think it would just needlessly complicate things and make some units unkillable for armies without range. Get a flying unit with good shooting on a tall stand and claim it never goes to the ground then go play an Ironjawz army, completely broken.

Bowser likes this.
  20. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

O ít's probably one of the more "balanced" solutions but it's just somewhat lame... It's never fun when fluff and actual game mechanics mismatch, especially wih these kind of very visual and Obvious aspects of a certain unit.

Also, the alternative doesn't necesarly have to be "I now fly 18" above your army and pelt you with arrows while you stand there and slowly die", there's alternatives where flying could give a bonus without it immeadiatly breaking the game. For example, you could say that flying units Always attack in a swooping motion and then immediatly rise up again, which means they're never stuck in combat like normal units are unless they're fighting other flying troops. So they never have to retreat, they can just move. And they can't be charged cuz a charge is kinda ineffective against flying stuff... that'd be one way to make flying more significant.. anyway, slightly off topic :p

Bowser likes this.