1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

7th Ed. Rumored 8th edition changes

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Discussion' started by lazylizard, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Caeldan
    Saurus

Caeldan New Member

Can't look at the youtube link right now - but does it confirm the HE vs Skaven starter box, or is that still a rumour?

I'm sorta looking forward to it, as I'm tempted to try a second army either with HE or Empire... so a starter box probably would make that decision for me. Of course by the time I get all the ins and outs of 7th ed down, 8th ed will be out - which kinda stinks, but oh well that's just timing. At least all the hobby stores in my area were nice enough to advise me against buying the BRB when I started.

2. lazylizard
    Temple Guard

lazylizard New Member

right when you start to get a really good feel for this 7th Ed. GW has to come out with an 8th Ed. and i bet it'll be even more confusing. but the HE vs. Skaven sounds nice for a starter set.

3. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

I don't know if the video does, but it has been confirmed as HE vs Skaven. Some people have even seen the models.

The thing about 7th was it only had subtle changes from 6th ed, 8th is rumoured to have lots of big changes. Magic completely different, lots of changes to special rules, combat completely different, a return to composition army lists (25% max characters, 25% min core)... It will be interesting to see how all the armies cope.

Also, there is some rumour of GW releasing the army books as pdf's so people get modified/updated versions quickly. That would be cool.

4. Eagleblaze
    Temple Guard

Eagleblaze New Member

Re: 8th Edition

I very much doubt a lot will change, release 7/10 though...

Oh and there are 2 threads for this now I see...

5. Skrox
    Cold One

Skrox New Member

I am excited about 8th edition because I am just starting to get into it and can build my army (and buy models) knowing the edition won't change for a long time.

Down side is I feel like I shouldn't buy any models until after I read that new BRB in July. Lizardmen of today love to plop their weeny characters down on stegadon's. If they put any sort of cap on character points then this will change drastically, so I don't want to drop 70 bucks to get an EOTG and A.Steg with chief and warspear just to find out I will never be able to play them. Also, who knows what rules they will change.

6. Fossil Hunter
    Skink

Fossil Hunter New Member

not to sound like a complete newb to this thread but cant you just make a house rule or pick and choose which point system you want to use. I know I game at a GW however I would maybe mention to my opponent that the traditional method is something I want to use. Use the updated rules but just use 7th's Army creation system. Sure you will need two lists however I still want to use some decent lists. Not to sound like a downer but if the policy is "use the latest and greatest" I might as well save up my coins and pre-order the supposedly updated Tomb Kings, just buy the 7th battalion box or something. And then donate the army to the store or sell to someone. Just my .02 USD.

7. strewart
    OldBlood

Yeah of course you can just use house rules. Most people won't though.

I don't think it is going to make the game worse. Just different. Less emphasis on characters is a good thing IMO. As to not buying stuff, eh. I buy the models I like the look of regardless of how they will perform on the field. LM armies will definitely change without the 800 odd points to drop on a Slann and engine combo though. Maybe I should get a few more games in now while I can use it.

8. Fossil Hunter
    Skink

Fossil Hunter New Member

/agreed
    Lets see how things turn out you know. Personally If it allows me to make a better list then I will.

9. Walgis
    Ripperdactil

Walgis New Member

if the 25% comes then it means death of EOTG. it would be just unusable. now i was thinking in buying 2 stegadons. but now i think at the best i would buy only 1 and still for the beutifull looks.

10. walach
    Razordon

walach New Member

indeed, hence i seriously doubt the accuracy of the 25% thing, unless the army books are changed. i mean 25% at 2k points, thats basically a slann OR an EotG. and just about nothing else characters wise.

still possible imo that mounts %s will return to being taken from thier 'usual' slot (i.e. the points for the steg comes out of your rare% rather than character%)

though you can still take a lot of stegadons.... assuming that those %s are true, you could take a character mounted stegadon, then 2 normals and an ancient. not too bad really :p

another thought occurs, if they're changing the magic system, it might be heading in the 5th ed direction, i.e. you're better off with 1 really good wizard than a load of weak ones. good news for the slann after all?

11. Xlcontiqu
    Ripperdactil

Xlcontiqu New Member

I have also heard there will be a "stepping forward" rule.

This would mean infantry would attack back even if they had been killed, if they still have models left. I.E. 6x3 saurus would still have 24 attacks, even if they lost six from a charge.

12. Walgis
    Ripperdactil

Walgis New Member

today i played a 2500 pt battle againts TK with 25% rules. i took Tetto ' Eko and Slann and i can tell you that this combo rocked.
    but it was quite allot of Core units, this is kinda a draw back.
    but all in all the battle was amazing.
    now am totaly vote for the 25% rule!

13. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Heres some new ones from warseer I hadn't heard before...
    http://www.warseer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4595497&postcount=2282

Ps. New way to calculate static combat resolution.

14. Iggy Koopa
    Chameleon Skink

Iggy Koopa New Member

Kinda late in the thread but... I read the email about the July release of the new 8th edition and all the different races and noticed they made no mention of the Lizardmen... I was like WTH? But excited about it as well, I personally can't see them going for the 25% rule... would just be too difficult for a lot of armies. I guess time will tell.

Iggy Koopa

15. strewart
    OldBlood

Maybe not... I have heard the models stepping forward will get only 1 attack and with a hand weapon. Otherwise who is going to get through a unit of swordmasters?

As to 25% killing the Slann and engine combo, GW apparently seems to want to increase the standard size of games from 2k to 3k. I quite like the idea of a 3k game with 25% min troops and the lord selections of a 2k game, however, 750 points of characters still isn't a huge amount. Can take 2 but not fully tooled up.

16. Samick
    Skink

Samick New Member

I was about to make a new post to address this issue, but I saw this 8th ed discussion so I'll post my concern here.

If warhammer is going back to percentages, lizards are screwed...

In a 2250 game, the allotment for characters(25%) would be roughly 560 points. If a geared up slann costs in the upper 400's(mine is 485) that leaves less than 100 points for other characters so basically the slann will be the only character you have on the field. The same goes for carno oldbloods. This means no engine, no scar-vets, no anything.

This is also something I see being a problem for daemons, as there greater daemons cost more than a slann.

Although percentages would keep people from playing super hero hammer, or going absolutely minimum core, I don't like the effects it will have on certain armies.

17. Skrox
    Cold One

Skrox New Member

Perhaps they will do minimum percentage for core instead. That way you are forced to chose allocation of points between bad ass characters or elite hammer troops from the special sections. No more 2k point lists with only 150pts in core troops.

18. Samick
    Skink

Samick New Member

yes, the rumor are that it is 25% max characters, 25% minimum core, 25% max special, 25% max rare. I like the fact that players MUST put points in core to make an army legal and I also love the fact that lizardmen core is so good. But I hope to see the percentage for max rare to go down and that the hero %age go up. Maybe something like max 35% heroes and 15% rares or something along those lines.

19. JohnMavrick
    Troglodon

JohnMavrick New Member

Just got a letter from GW, the new starter set is suppose to contain High Elves and Skaven. Yeah!!! I don't play either (crap).

20. Samick
    Skink

Samick New Member

one thing about 8th that I am excited to see is emphasis on scenario play. A lot of rumors say some scenarios revolve around capping points with core units including banners, and this made me happy as I feel this would give a definite use to mixed skrox units with their banner carrying ability and 6 inch move.