1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

7th Ed. Rumored 8th edition changes

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Discussion' started by lazylizard, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Batu
    Saurus

Batu New Member

We have been playing with a 30% rule in core for years and it actually helps balance the game. The High Elves we let run at 25% core since they rely more on their specials then most other armies. their core spearmen/archers/silver helms simply suck with AS 5+ T3. Even with ASF.

But 25% core works great and helps balance the game a bit. Cuts down on the 3 units of skink cohorts at 50pts and 7 units of kroxigor, CoR, Sallys etc.

It is called (CORE) because it should be the main (core) of your army. not the min unit filler so you can max on rare/special/characters.

Personally, I hope they bump it to 30%...but 25% is fine. This was the way they use to do it (5th Edition) so they are only going back to an old rule. Not introducing something new.

2. Batu
    Saurus

Batu New Member

Time to start 2 new armies !!! LOL :rage:

3. Walgis
    Ripperdactil

Walgis New Member

minor question, if you play at 2500 pt game with 25% rule, you still get only 2 rare selections?

4. Nakai
    Saurus

Nakai Member

yes you dont move up to three rare until you hit 3000 points

5. Jive Professor
    Saurus

Jive Professor New Member

I run about 27% core already, so I don't have to worry about that change. The thing that worries me is how harsh the character cap will be, because I love having a Slann and Engine in the same army.

6. lazylizard
    Temple Guard

lazylizard New Member

play a 4000 pt game then :D

7. Jive Professor
    Saurus

Jive Professor New Member

I could! So many Saurus warriors....

8. Caneghem
    Carnasaur

Caneghem New Member

That brings up a good point... I wonder if the new edition will change the generally accepted 2250 size army? More required core might push the standard game size up a notch or two, as people will need more points to play with to incorporate more toys. 3000 seems a bit high, but 2500 might be something you'd see.

9. Xlcontiqu
    Ripperdactil

Xlcontiqu New Member

I have heard that GW is going to try to make a push for 3000 point games. I guess they are going to try expand the size of the game. Which would make sense with the percentages.

10. Caeldan
    Saurus

Caeldan New Member

Bell of Lost Souls yesterday had a large collection of the rumours
    http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2010/04/wfb-rumors-8th-edition-rumor-roundup.html...

One mention I saw is that heavy cavalry (defined as providing at least a +2 save) would not be allowed to march. That'd seriously hurt the mobility of our cold one cavalry.

Another one I thought a bit odd would be changing power dice to a random roll, with a set value added based on the casters you brought to the field.

Then there's the only one save rule rumoured - you can have either a ward or armor save, but not both.

Oh and combat resolved strictly on initiative, no bonus to charging... and great weapons striking last overrule ASF rules.

Not a fan of hearing they may allow all archers to fire in two ranks.

Oh and something to the effect of Killing Blow will only effect similar sized units and lower.

11. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

12. Walgis
    Ripperdactil

Walgis New Member

i realy dont like magic rumors. if they are true then bye bye magic for me. it would be better to take combat oldblood and scar vets then slann with some skink priest.... miscast on failed casting? fail. then TK and similar armies thant cant miscast will rule. or HE teclis will rock everybody in magic with problem. i was thinking to buy a slann but now im considering to buy 2 salamandras instead.

13. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Alright since there were 2 8th ed topics basically next to each other, I have merged them.

@Canegham, yeah GW apparently want to increase 'standard' games to 3k, make people buy more models and all. I've always prefered 3k games, but even at that level it is only 750 points of characters with the 25% rule.

Does it screw any army over? I don't think so really, maybe undead since they rely on magic. Will it change the composition of basically every army? Yes.

Really I am more worried about how combat will work in the new edition than the composition stuff.. Everyone fights in 2 ranks now and spears still add an extra rank? Good for saurus, very good for HE spearmen (4 ranks fighting!) but most likely even better for elite infantry with multiple high strength attacks, which is odd since the focus is meant to move back to core.. They will just get eaten even more by elite infantry now.

14. Caeldan
    Saurus

Caeldan New Member

Don't forget the potential for a rumoured 5th rank fighting if the horde rule is true as well! (extra rank fighting based on a certain unit number, ie 50+)

Also there was one rumour floating around that killed units still get to roll their attacks back/remove from back ranks to simulate stepping forward... which possibly lessens the value of attacking first, and increases the power of glass dagger type units as even if they attack last in a fight, they'd still get their licks in before going away.

15. Fossil Hunter
    Skink

Fossil Hunter New Member

Im sorry Stew,
    I cant serously comprehend HE spearmasters in rank 4 attacking. I mean are they going to be using telephone polls to skewer something?

Now that you stated that they are going to up to 3k, I dont mind that 25% must be hero cost rule so much. I mean that way you can even things out. Sure no top end equipment but we might be able use some gear we never thought of. Halbeard + Cold One Armor anyone?

16. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Personally I find it just as realistic (perhaps moreso) that a skinny and well disciplined unit of elves can reach through 3 men in front as that a instinctive and very bulky unit of saurus with tails in the way can reach through 2 men in front!
    I also think with the whole stepping up rule happening, GW are trying to show a bit more clearly that combat was not so much 2 squares hitting each toher and only the surface fighting, the rest waiting for the man in front to die so they can get stuck in. It is more likely that 'lines' will get very mixed especially when something like a chariot or even cavalry barrels through. If an opponent has jumped through the first 'line' (rank) to be able to fight the second and subsequently be fought by the second, well the lads in the 4th rank are probably aiming their massively long spears at them instead.

Also, I haven't seen this on here yet, but there is rumour that the old BSB upgrade will no longer be for a character, rather it will be for a unit standard. This somewhat lessens the pain of 25% characters since you don't need to spend points on a BSB.

17. hellbreaker
    Troglodon

hellbreaker New Member

If this is true I'll actually once and for all get to use a BSB! That's awesome. Unless a BSB doesn't give re-rolls anymore...

Cheers!

18. lazylizard
    Temple Guard

lazylizard New Member

you know. i've never played a 3K game yet. i always play 2250. i think i'll try it this weekend.

19. the-graven
    Kroxigor

the-graven New Member

I mind it, if mounts don't count i'll still have a problem, in 2000pts i have 905 points in characters :jawdrop: (including mount), without mount it's 615 , then I need to drop a priest, leaving me with only Slann and EotG(if mounts don't count), if mounts count I have to drop my EotG for a normal Priest, a big loss :(

20. Kurlin
    Ripperdactil

Kurlin New Member

You can probably still get top end equipment. If I recall correctly(played older versions witha friends army a LONG time ago). Equipment was not part of the 25% for characters. They had a seperate percentage limit for items like 15% or something.