1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KoW Salamander Colour Schemes

Discussion in 'Salamanders Discussion' started by BAE, May 16, 2016.

1. BAE
    Razordon

BAE Well-Known Member

Thank you! However proud I am of the paint job on the Ankylodon, I'm not going to lose battles just to show him off :p If he had a 50x50 base I might use him as something else, but I'm not exposing additional flank for no benefit. He'll sit on my shelf until they hopefully tweak him into usefulness in KoW 3rd Ed!

Crowsfoot likes this.
  2. Itepixcauh
    Carnasaur

Itepixcauh Stranded Ghekkotah Staff Member

Yeah, my mistake :p I was thinking of the Tyrants...

Yeah I know he needs a point reduction to be really usefull, I'm just trying to justify myself on not taking him out :rolleyes:

BAE likes this.
  3. BAE
    Razordon

BAE Well-Known Member

Haha Whatever floats your boat! The Ankylodon's defenders only ever suggest that he is 10-20 points overcosted, but I would only really consider taking him if he was about 50 points less. Although the stats might look amazing, in terms of actual battle-usefulness I feel he sits only just above a Greater Fire Elemental on his own. As they only really work in pairs (so that they can defend each other's flanks), this would mean spending 400 points on two, and that to me feels about right.

Itepixcauh likes this.
  4. Jack Trowell
    Cold One

Jack Trowell Active Member

Well, in that situation I would use tha ankylodon combined with another unit to kill the elementals faster, i keep seeing its small frontage mentionned as a negative but in most situations it's great to be so small, as it allow you to fit several chargers against the same target.

Now imagine something like an ankylodon supported by two greater fire elementals ont the side, all 3 should be able to combo charge on most units at the same time, and if later you starts to feel the "heat" from your opponent counter attacks the ankylodon might contnue to hold the ennemies while the elementals would redirect toward other targets if you feel they took too much damage.

It's just an exemple of course, I am perfectly aware that it's harder to use in an optimal manner the ankylodon, but I see potential with it. In any case, due to his point cost and versability using it to the best will certainly require thinking about how he can support or be supported by the rest of the army so that you don't waste this potential. If you use him only has a hammer, sure the greater fire elemental will be better.

Crowsfoot and Itepixcauh like this.
  5. The_Howling_Banshee
    Skink

The_Howling_Banshee New Member

just head in and smash everything!!
    :turtle:
    Banshee

Crowsfoot and Itepixcauh like this.
  6. BAE
    Razordon

BAE Well-Known Member

Thanks to @Crowsfoot for explaining how to make a molten lava base! (I've done the rocks slightly incorrectly, but I won't make the same mistake when I do that style of base again.) And a Greater Fire Elemental and some Fire Elementals. These were done super quickly to be able to play them at the Clash of Kings, hence they're a bit messy, but they'll do to put on a table. I can always buy some more after the competition and paint them better.

IMG_20161001_234740.jpg
    IMG_20161001_213033.jpg

Warden, n810, Bowser and 4 others like this.
  7. Itepixcauh
    Carnasaur

That GFE looks amazing man! Absolutely brilliant fire, WOW

8. BAE
    Razordon

BAE Well-Known Member

Thank you! Although I may have cheated a little bit by using GW Dry paints... Basecoated White Scar then Flash Gitz Yellow heavily diluted with Lahmian Medium. After that, dry brush Kindleflame and Astorath Red, then Fuegan Orange shade applied as though dry brushing. Finally, White Scar w/ Lahmian Medium to pick out the crevices, and Abbadon Black on the tips. Took all of 2 hours to finish after I'd applied the 4 or 5 layers of White Scar it needed to get a solid white base.

I could have done him better with a bit more care, but with it being a £7 model it's not going to break the bank if I ever feel like doing another!

Bowser and Itepixcauh like this.
  9. BAE
    Razordon

BAE Well-Known Member

@Crowsfoot - How do you do 'normal' bases please? I've got sand but the PVA glue doesn't seem to stick it down - I even put a watered down pva over the top like videos on Youtube suggest, but that also doesn't seem to do anything...

10. Itepixcauh
    Carnasaur

I do just that; pva, then sand, and while it's still fresh watered down pva very carefully and let dry for a long time. Never had any problem with that.

11. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

What sand have you got? Is it dry? Is the pva glue mixed well it sometimes separates.

I've never had a problem with it

12. BAE
    Razordon

BAE Well-Known Member

Key words in that post: "a long time". Rookie mistake on my part... All sorted! :oops: Glued into troops with self-adhesive magnetic rubber on the underside of each troop. I had mild steel sheet custom cut to the sizes of regiments and hordes so now I can magnetise multiple troops as required for any list.

IMG_20161003_001422.jpg

13. Crowsfoot
    Slann

They look cool, the basing is very similar to mine will post a pic tonight.

Warden, Bowser, BAE and 1 other person like this.
  14. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Your greater fire elemental looks incredible! Fantastic job! The base look spectacular! Just so much awesome here!

Crowsfoot likes this.
  15. Itepixcauh
    Carnasaur

The true genius here is, how did you managed to rank them up! They are a nightmare to rank properly

Warden, Crowsfoot and Bowser like this.
  16. BAE
    Razordon

BAE Well-Known Member

They are as easy as breathing compared to ranking up Mantic's Salamander models! After the hell I went through with the Salamanders, the Ghekkotah were an absolute joy to work out.

Crowsfoot likes this.
  17. Crowsfoot
    Slann

I think they build as a straight tail, left tail and right tail so just inter mix them, I found the guard a NIGHTMARE

18. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Pics as promised,

IMG_3224.JPG

IMG_3225.JPG

IMG_3226.JPG

Warden, Bowser, n810 and 1 other person like this.
  19. BAE
    Razordon

BAE Well-Known Member

They're amazing!!

How did you get the dots on the eyes?

Crowsfoot likes this.
  20. Crowsfoot
    Slann

n810 and BAE like this.