1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

KoW Salamanders of the Sunken Republic - Planning for future 2nd army.

Discussion in 'Salamanders Army Lists' started by gb2098, Jan 12, 2019.

1. gb2098
    Saurus

gb2098 Active Member

honestly.. i'm regretting diving into the forum a bit right now,. i see all the awesome stuff getting posted in the modelling section and get ideas.
    now i'm eyeing some old cardboard coffee cans and wondering if i can turn them into Celtic/Pictic (or "Keltoi") style Roundhouses and a Broch... useable for both historical and fantasy use.

[​IMG]
    (artists depiction of the Broch complex at Jarlshof in Shetland, taken from this video)

Last edited: Jan 16, 2019
  2. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

You mean Pictish? Because Brochs are specifically a Pictish invention.

The Celts on the other hand settled in roundhouses made of various materials depending upon the location clustered together in first hillforts, protected by palisades and ditches, and later the fortified towns or Oppida (although the less advanced Hallstatt culture tribes still used hillforts even then).

Crowsfoot likes this.
  3. gb2098
    Saurus

gb2098 Active Member

I am aware that Brochs are a Pictish invention. though the irish (a celtic culture) did have some thinner tower structures, the Cloigtheach, during the early medieval period that were built with similar methods. (they were part of church sites, and they appear to have been belltowers.)
    the roundhouses however could be either Pictish or Irish celtic, as both used similar construction styles, though for the irish the use of the stone and turf ("Atlantic Roundhouse") was regional to the Hebrides rather than universal. might have been pictish influence, could have just been regional materials concerns. likely a bit of both. but the Picts were heavily influenced by the celtic cultures (if not one themselves.. scholarship still has debates over that) and the Dal Riadan Scoti that invaded and eventually took over pictish lands were irish celtic as well, so mixing the two wouldn't be too anachronistic. especially for a game system that doesn't follow history 100% exact to begin with in the historical rules, and which is an anachronism stew in the fantasy side.

plus in the KoW fantasy setting region i've been brainstorming, the tribal culture present includes elements drawn from both picts and celts. largely so i can make use of any historicals stuff i build.

Crowsfoot and Itepixcauh like this.