1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Salamanders

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by xhequimunqui, Aug 29, 2010.

1. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Yeah thats a good question. I think I have to agree with the second interpretation; they are in a single unit of salamanders and skinks so the handlers stay until all the sallies are gone.

If your opponent insisted that each salamander takes their skinks with them, it is only fair that just as all the wounds at sallies stack on one model until it dies, all the skink deaths stack on the same salamander as well so if you had say 2 sallies and 8 skinks, lost 3 skinks, then a sallie died, it take just 1 skink with it.

However I am fairly sure that the army book indicates that while one skink is still alive, it can handle all the monsters in the unit, so it should work the opposite way as well that they become one unit.

2. Calaglin
    Jungle Swarm

Calaglin New Member

I have a question too about Salamanders, I played a game today where one of my Sallies was done eating his handlers or they got shot to bits. I rolled a leadership test and got through it so I didn't have to roll on the monster table. But what happens if I roll another misfire after that? I would assume that the Sally can't fire anyway but the rules say that they don't fire because a Skink handler got in the way and got either roasted or nommed, but now there are no Skinks to get in the way anymore.

3. Xul
    Temple Guard

Xul New Member

the book also says D3 handlers are removed and the salamander doesn't fire. my interpretation would be: as you can remove no handlers, none are removed and the salamander doesn't fire.

4. Pwidget
    Skink

Pwidget New Member

Resurrecting this thread a bit for another quick question:

When targeting a salamander's spout flames, you have to target a unit. Can I target a unit that is not in combat in order to have the flame template possible land on an enemy unit in combat? What happens there? Is this practice frowned upon?

5. Xul
    Temple Guard

Xul New Member

yes and it is OK to do so. you may even end up hitting both. there is nothing to frown upon, it is completely legal.

6. Pwidget
    Skink

Pwidget New Member

Awesome, thanks.

7. walach
    Razordon

walach New Member

depends where/who you play i guess, i would never do that myself. i would say it is frowned upon.

8. wolfmage
    Temple Guard

wolfmage New Member

Although it may be like cannons where if there is a chance it will hit the combat it'll have to fire somwhere else.
    Also anyone know how you can boost the sallies shooting atk str.

9. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

There is a lore of metal spell that can increase the str of the skinks poison attack (to 4). I do not think it would work with the Sallies as it states in the Lizardmen rulebook that it is a str 3 attack with -3 to save.

10. Rokanos
    Kroxigor

Rokanos Well-Known Member

Tossin' in a question that came up in my game last night (I didn't argue it, the dwarves were dying in droves already anyway :spiderman: ), but when sallies fire, do they fire in a straight line or can you pick a target within their line of sight and fire at an angle?

He argued it had to be in a straight line, but that didn't make much sense to me.

11. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

place the template in front of the salie and aim it at a unit,
    then roll the bice to see how far it goes, the move the
    template in a straight line in that direction.
    :astronaut:

12. Rokanos
    Kroxigor

So then I was right? It has to go straight, but it doesn't have to be straight out from the center of my salamanders? ie I could shoot the flames at something on the very edge of my line of sight, it would continue straight down that line (hitting the unit, given that i rolled high enough), not from the center of my model (completely missing the unit).

13. Xul
    Temple Guard

Xul New Member

why should it be? it is a legal action.

14. Xul
    Temple Guard

Xul New Member

you may aim the template at any unit in the front arc of the salamander. the whole template needs to be in the front arc, with the narrow end touching the salamander's mouth and the template not touching any units engaged in CC. then you roll the dice and move the template straight forward.
    so it is important to adjust the salamander correctly at the end of his move (you can do that without problem, as he is a skirmisher unit and thus has the free reform rule. you just need to watch out not to move more than 12" (double the salamander's move).

15. Rokanos
    Kroxigor

gotcha, thanks for the clarification. Going to my first tourny this Saturday (hopefully) and that'll help me a bit (could've toasted a lot more dwarves). Btw, lore of light is my hero <3.

16. Lingbei
    Cold One

Lingbei New Member

It's a legal move but I think it's more of a at places such as tournaments some players will say it's unsportmansly to do where as if your playing with your friends I don't think it will be as big a deal, but it can be done anywhere regardless no one can stop you.