1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Saurus Strike

Discussion in 'Seraphon Army Lists' started by Tokek, Sep 5, 2017.

1. Tokek
    Chameleon Skink

Tokek Well-Known Member

Looking over the GHB17 and my model collection I have been toying with the idea of switching things around so that instead of my Rippers going in and being a big flappy threat I make the Saurus Knights as hard-hitting as I always wanted them to be.

Based on a Dracothian's Tail it works a little strangely as I am really using the layered Battalion rules as a fix for the otherwise rather poor mobility of the Knights.

Slann Starmaster
    Saurus Scar-Veteran on Cold One - General - Command Trait : Thickly Scaled Hide - Artefact : Incandescent Rectrices
    Skink Starpriest
    Saurus Oldblood on Carnosaur - Artefact : Blade of Realities
    Saurus Astrolith Bearer - Artefact : Prism of Amyntok
    Units
    10 x Saurus Knights -Lances
    5 x Saurus Knights -Lances
    5 x Saurus Knights -Lances
    20 x Skinks -Boltspitters & Moonstone Clubs
    3 x Ripperdactyl Riders
    Battalions Firelance Starhost
    Dracothion's Tail
    Total: 1710/ 2000 Points
    Leaders: 5/6 Battlelines: 4 (3+) Behemoths: 1/4 Artillery: 0/4

That leaves 290 points for summoning, usually 100 of that will go for the Balewind Vortex but if I do not need that 46" range for Summoning the Saurus in I can hold it back for more models. I have Saurus Warriors, 3 Razordons (plus handlers), another unit of Rippers and will soon have a Troglodon as summoning options depending on what I am facing. The Slann will usually have finished the summoning by the end of my first hero phase so although I will try to hide it a subsequent loss should not be too crippling.

It is a one-drop army so I will get to choose to go first more often than not. If not I will have to use the skinks as a defensive screen, more usually they are a nice scoring unit that may not see that much hostile attention early on with all the Saurus silliness that will be happening.

The main first turn hit comes from the larger unit of Knights. I can either summon or teleport them into 9" range, with the Firelance Bonus they need to roll 6+ to make the charge. By landing the Scar Veteran nearby and using his Command Ability they can re-roll that. Then with the Astrolith Bearer they can re-roll all their hits. The Starpriest can give their bites a little more bite and the Command Ability gives them more bites too. With both teleport and summons options for Knights I should be able to get two units into position to charge on the first turn.

The rippers can leave the alpha-strike duties to Knights and act as a fast-moving mop-up unit.

The Oldblood is the big hitter with any useful amounts of rend. Other than that I am relying on small amounts of mortal wounds to deal with hard to kill stuff.

I am not aiming to win big tournaments with this, I might try out a few local tournaments if I feel like it.

What are anybody's thoughts? Am I just a sleep-deprived jetlagged fool?

Aginor and Crowsfoot like this.