1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

7th Ed. Saurus Warrior FAQ and Strategy

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Tactics' started by snowywlf, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Barotok
    Terradon

Barotok New Member

This information is not in error at all. However, there is no notation that I read that specified that the bonus from fighting with spears is not gained during charging. I'd like to suggest to snow to add a statement saying this somewhere in the spear section as Axolotl has a good point.

Once again Caneg puts into words what I spend all day trying to say, easily. Thanks for all the data there. It was a definitely enlightening read for me and usefull in terms of making decisions on wether or not to use spears. I'd say that somewhere in the guide, when snow gets time, there should be a section on HW/SH vs. spears that reflects the data shown here. The bottom line from the post (that I got) is that spears give you the ability to win combat resolution from casualty generation while sacrificing survivability of your troops. Meaning, like Caneg said, you'll see a wider range of results. Hand weapon and shield users will definitely see a smaller range of results in combat but won't do better than spears, until being charged by narrow frontage units (monsters, characters, etc) or extremely high armored units (Chaos Knights).

I also have a good understanding of why I still lean so heavily towards HW/SH, because of the consistency and resiliance they provide. Despite the fact that SW can be a killer unit, I have a tendancy to use them as anvils more often than not.

Great post Caneg!

2. Dumbledore
    Ripperdactil

Dumbledore New Member

You definitely don't get two ranks of spears fighting on the charge, read the weapons page in the BRB p56

"stationary spearmen can fight in two ranks"

3. Barotok
    Terradon

Barotok New Member

Snow must have already changed it too, because I can find no where in the FAQ that says otherwise.

4. snowywlf
    Cold One

snowywlf New Member

About the spears during charge, I didnt actually change anything in the FAQ. It was simply misinterpreted by one of the posters. I'll make sure to clarify the language when I update the FAQ. I'll also add the data that was provided and a section comparing Spears and Hand Weapons. Great ideas all, thanks! Wont be doing it tonight though, should have time tomorrow.

5. serbianwolf
    Cold One

serbianwolf Active Member

a question about putting a saurus (or TG) unit 6 wide, don't you risk that a lot of you opponents normal base sized infantry that is 5 wide wont be in base contact with all the 6 of your units???

6. Caneghem
    Carnasaur

Caneghem New Member

Not a worry at all, they have a frontage of 5 x 20mm = 100mm. 4 saurus are 4 x 25mm = 100. So one saurus on either side would be corner to corner with the enemy.

7. serbianwolf
    Cold One

serbianwolf Active Member

ohhh didn't know that count's, well 6 wide units sounds great then doesn't it?