1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Scar Vet on Cold One: Are they sneaky good?

Discussion in 'Seraphon Tactics' started by Joshua Horchler, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

I think they are in the Generals Handbook

Bowser likes this.
  2. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Yes, they are.
    In the meantime... http://imgur.com/a/kKmsi

MerciaBear, Bowser and Crowsfoot like this.
  3. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

I HAVE THE BLOODY BOOK AS WELL :D

4. Lachlin
    Cold One

Lachlin Well-Known Member

in the Generals handbook, after the points.

MerciaBear likes this.
  5. m0gstar
    Temple Guard

m0gstar Well-Known Member

The relic blade simply increases the damage statistic of a melee weapon by 1. For example, you armed your Skink Chief with an Ornate Club, 4+ to hit 3+ to wound - 1 rend 1 damage. With the relic blade artifact, his club now deals two damage instead of one. Simple enough.

The quicksilver potion allows you to fight first in one round of combat once per game. So as soon as it turns from "Charge Phase" to "Combat Phase" you can declare your character is using his quicksilver potion, that means he gets to fight first at no penalty, meaning it does not count as your activation. This has a couple great scenarios.

Example #1: You just end your charge phase, and end up getting your engine of the gods with a quicksilver potion and your oldblood in combat with Nagash. You declare that you are using your quicksilver potion so you get to fight first with your Engine of the Gods - but because that doesnt count as your activation, you can immediately roll nagash's face (unface?) with your oldblood next, before the opposing player gets to activate a unit to fight with. Gives you a lot of opportunity to down dangerous targets before they get to fight back.

Example #2: Opponent charges your old blood on carno with his super slayer, glass cannon character. Totally confident in killing your Oldblood (or severely wounding and killing his effectiveness). You can use your quicksilver potion to fight the super slayer chracter with your oldblood before he gets to attack. Then the phase would proceed as normal, as in he gets to choose to fight, then you, then him, then you etc.

It's a very strong item :)

Bowser, MerciaBear and Lachlin like this.
  6. MerciaBear
    Cold One

MerciaBear Active Member

Yeh that is totally being taken! Cheers

m0gstar likes this.
  7. Asamu
    Temple Guard

Asamu Well-Known Member

Did they FAQ that it is subject to the rule of 1?

RAW, it wouldn't, because it doesn't require you to hit with any attacks. The rule of 1 states that any attacks, hit rolls, or wound rolls generated by extra attacks cannot then generate more attacks (IE: No infinite attacks with rippers if you keep rolling hits and wounds). The Scar Vet ability isn't generating attacks through additional attacks. It's generating them as part of a separate rule that allows the scar vet to potentially attack 3 times. You could roll the 4+ and 6+ before rolling any attacks if it didn't specify the sequencing (Though I don't think most people would have a problem with it anyway if you were directing all of your attacks on the same target regardless).

Last edited: Jan 26, 2017
    Bowser likes this.
  8. Seraphage
    Stegadon

Seraphage Well-Known Member

When I played the other day, my opponent told me that Quicksilver potion counts as an activation thus I could really benefit from it only on HIS turn so I could arrack first with my general. Are you positive that the activation doesn't count ?

Bowser likes this.
  9. m0gstar
    Temple Guard

m0gstar Well-Known Member

Positive. I'm on mobile at the moment and can't post the wording for the item, but it makes it clear.

You won't be able to attack with the unit twice in the phase, but the wording says you get to attack with the model before any models begin to fight and it does not count towards the activation for the person who's turn it is to activate.

Bowser and Seraphage like this.
  10. Seraphage
    Stegadon

Great ! I will know for next time so no mistakes will be made, thank you

Bowser likes this.
  11. Asamu
    Temple Guard

Asamu Well-Known Member

It says "before the player whose turn is taking place chooses a unit to attack with". It can be used on either players' turn.

It counts as the character with the QS potion having been activated, so they can't attack twice, but does not change the normal sequencing afterwards. IE: the player whose turn it is is able to select a unit to attack with after the QS potion is resolved.

I'd refer to the FAQ for shadowblade assassin activation (the last FAQ in the Order FAQ) if one or both players have "Start of the combat phase" declarations/abilities, which states that their very similar ability that allows them to be revealed at the start of the combat phase (Same selection process as the QS potion), then pile in and attack before anything else can be done one at a time (You can see the effect of one resolve before declaring to reveal the next one), with all of them being resolved before beginning the normal attack selection, and if both players have assassins, the player whose turn is taking place reveals and resolves all of their assassins [one at a time] first, potentially stopping the other player from being able to reveal theirs. As it is the only FAQ on "start of the combat phase" abilities, I'd broaden that to refer to any such abilities, so, if both sides have "start of the combat phase" effects, it is your turn, and they elect to use theirs, you can also use yours to attack first regardless, resolve it, then decide whether to use another one or not, after which, they can decide whether or not to resolve theirs as well, if they are still able to.

That does open up another debate about whether or not you reveal assassins and attack before or after a Quicksilver potion is resolved if it is the player with the quicksilver potion's turn. Assuming all instances of "start of combat" effects can be applied to that FAQ, I'd think that the player with the QS potion (if it is their turn) would resolve those attacks before any assassins are revealed, since the assassins are revealed 1 at a time, then attack, allowing the player with the QS potion to potentially stop such activation from their opponent.

m0gstar, Seraphage and Bowser like this.
  12. Seraphage
    Stegadon

Thank you very much ! A truly analytical answer indeed, really really helpful

13. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Jury is still out, we discussed this here: Sunblood or Oldblood and came to know conclusion.

14. Anthony Johnston
    Jungle Swarm

Anthony Johnston New Member

General's Handbook at the back in Grand Alliances chapter. Lists artefacts of power for each alliance.

MerciaBear and Bowser like this.
  15. Jbird460
    Saurus

Jbird460 Member

If we have 2 scar vets in a bloodclaw does the command ability buff to all knights to make an additional attack with there jaws stack. So all knights in both bubbles would make a total of 4 attacks or just 3?

Bowser likes this.
  16. LordRibbit
    Temple Guard

LordRibbit Well-Known Member

yes, try it with a star priest serpent staff for double damage on a 6 to wound too!

Bowser likes this.
  17. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

YES

And yes, serpent staff is Golden because it will buff also Cold ones bites.
    5 knights are going to do (4+2)x5= 30 attacks that threaten double dam on 6s. ;)

Seraphage and Bowser like this.