1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS SDK comp system - best until now

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Xlanax_lot, Dec 28, 2015.

1. Xlanax_lot
    Troglodon

Xlanax_lot Well-Known Member

has anybody tried this system before?

I was looking over it and it seems like a very good alternative, probably so far.

The best part is that it tells you how the pointts are calculated and there is slso a very easy to use army builder.

https://sites.google.com/site/ageofsigmarsdk/

2. shwaym
    Skink

shwaym Member

this is my preferred method

3. Bainbow
    Bastiladon

Bainbow Well-Known Member

I find that Wounds limits are the best, personally. Simple, easy to use, lets you redesign your army at a moment's notice in case you need to lower the limit for a newer player to jump in, and it works with the fundamental fact I've observed since July which is all models of equal wounds are largely equal in practical value, something that points systems do not accept and therefore force players to limit themselves.

Hell, a single look at that and the first thing I see is a model grossly overpriced in points to a really extreme extent. It's almost humorous how badly this is balanced, it reduces a number of units to an unplayable level.

4. Xlanax_lot
    Troglodon

Xlanax_lot Well-Known Member

I guess is a question of preference with no one system being better than the other one. I have tried both systems several times and although both of them seem to work nicely I still prefer SDK.

It is not perfect and definatelly some of the point values are not accurate since synergies are not taken into consideration. However in my opinion It does a better job at balancing the game than the wound system. I think that the main reason for this is that there are some wounds more valuable than others, for example: Nagash = 16 goblins, or a goblin = temole guard.

But once again, this is just a matter of preferences and both systems seem to work to bring some sort of balance to the game, you could even play the pool system if thats what works for you.

Does any of you have a comp system for summon? That would really help.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  5. Bainbow
    Bastiladon

Bainbow Well-Known Member

Should preface this by saying you're right, no system is truly perfect.

But anywho, I'd argue that all wounds are equal. You use that goblin example there, but in a goblin army I designed for somebody just last night removing 16 wounds of gobbos in exchange for Nagash would sorely weaken the army by quite a significant amount, heavily impacting its synergy and ability to perform.

A thing that really bothers me with points systems which the wounds system covers, though, is that stats don't equal value. For example, looking at that list you gave I saw that Kroak was listed as being three times as expensive as a Starmaster. However 4/5 times when somebody asks me what to get, I tell them to get the regular Slann because it's more effective for the army that they're building. In a majority of the army builds one can do for a Seraphon army, Kroak is inferior to the Slann as he lacks any real effective support abilities whereas the Starmaster is a support machine. But despite this, Kroak is consistently listed as insanely more expensive to field despite, to be honest, usually being the weaker choice.

Not to mention that this focus on stats displays a fundamental misunderstanding of how the game functions. Because stats are insanely malleable, a skink with a boltspitter may at first seem totally inferior to a Temple Guard but by adding in the right support in the form of horde bonuses, various heroes, maybe a battalion and you can easily get that Skink's stats so high that it wipes the floor with the guard hands down, it's not actually that hard. But these points systems fail to understand this because, like a lot of people, they make the mistake of assuming that models with better stats are inherently better than lower stat models, which is just untrue. Often if not always, the lower stat models have more options for synergies that can push their power to be far higher than the high-stat models. But nope, this style just demands that higher stat models must be fundamentally better. Therefore when it comes to choosing whether or not to use the more expensive high stat models, nobody who thinks it through will do it because you can just take the lower stat models for cheaper, buff them with synergies so they're equal or better than the high stat models, and then just get twice as many of them as you could get the higher models because despite now being equal in power, the lower stat ones are far cheaper.

Wounds do not suffer from this problem.

tom ndege, Xlanax_lot and Crowsfoot like this.