1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tutorial Seraphon List for Battletome 2.o

Discussion in 'Seraphon Tactics' started by LizardWizard, Mar 4, 2020.

1. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

Perhaps something like this:

Allegiance: Seraphon
    - Constellation: Fangs of Sotek

Leaders:
    Skink Starseer
    (140)
    - General
    - Command Trait: Master of Star Rituals
    - Spell: Hand of Glory
    Lord Kroak (320)
    - Spell: Stellar Tempest
    Saurus Astrolith Bearer (140)
    Skink Starpriest (120)
    - Spell: Tide of Serpents
    Skink Priest (70)
    Terradon Chief (70)
    - Artefact: Serpent God Dagger

Battleline:
    30 x Skinks (180)
    - Boltspitters & Moonstone Clubs
    10 x Skinks (60)
    - Meteoric Javelins Celestite Daggers & Star Bucklers
    10 x Skinks (60)
    - Meteoric Javelins Celestite Daggers & Star Bucklers

Units:
    6 x Kroxigor (280)
    - 2x Moonhammers
    9 x Terradon Riders (270)
    - Sunleech Bolas
    12 x Salamander Hunting Pack (240)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
    Balewind Vortex
    (40)

Total: 1990 / 2000
    Extra Command Points: 0
    Allies: 0 / 400
    Wounds: 150

You could buff your Skink units numbers by dropping the Astrolith and Balewind Vortex if you aren't worried about the casting bonuses and extra range for Kroak.

2. red_moo
    Skink

red_moo New Member

Oh niiice! Thanks! Already makes me giddy... :D Little worried about not having the shadowstrike battalion, but I guess it should be ok. This gives quite a lot of room for tinkering (beside your option) after testing out the original. And everything falls under 2000pts!

- starseer, - vortex, + shadowstrike = 1980
    - 3 kroxigor, - vortex, + shadowstrike = 1980
    - 3 kroxigor, + 10 skinks, + bound geminids = 1980
    - starseer, + 3 kroxigor, + bound geminids = 1980
    - kroak, - starseer, + slann, + 10 skinks, + shadowstrike = 1980
    - kroak, - 3 kroxigor, + slann, + 10 skinks, + shadowstrike = 1980

ok i will stop now... :D

Looking forward to playing around with this base you created. And to what you all come up with after we can play again.

Thanks for a nice welcome to the forum. :)

Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
    RandomTsar, Lizerd and LizardWizard like this.
  3. IggyStarhost
    Ripperdactil

IggyStarhost Well-Known Member

A bit to heroe heavy for me. Although the starpriest is very nice. I would drop him for 60 skinks and Bound Geminids. Or maybe Kroxigors is you fancy.

I would pass on the shadowstrike, it isnt that great anymore and now is pricy. Normally I would take a battalion for the effect, lower drops, artifact and command point. But the effect is mediocre, you still have high drops and the artifact you mostly want is Aetherquartz for Cmd point spamm. But this list isnt al that command point hungry. Maybe some resurrect artifacts on the skinks, since they are squashi. But I rather have some wounds

Lizerd likes this.
  4. Grotpunter
    Troglodon

Grotpunter Well-Known Member

@LizardWizard What do think of this list for more competitive play? Do you think it has enough damage between buffed up Skinks, Salamanders -2 rend/MW and endless spells to deal with the top dog meta picks we currently see?

Allegiance: Seraphon
    - Constellation: Fangs of Sotek

Leaders
    Slann Starmaster (260)
    - General
    - Command Trait: Arcane Might
    - Spell: Celestial Equilibrium
    Lord Kroak (320)
    - Spell: Stellar Tempest
    Saurus Astrolith Bearer (140)
    - Artefact: Serpent God Dagger
    Skink Priest (70)
    Skink Starpriest (120)
    - Spell: Hand of Glory

Battleline
    40 x Skinks (240)
    - Boltspitters Celestite Daggers & Star Bucklers
    40 x Skinks (240)
    10 x Skinks (60)
    5 x Saurus Guard (100)

Units
    12 x Salamander Hunting Pack (240)

Endless Spells / Terrain / CPs
    Balewind Vortex (40)
    Bound Geminids of Uhl-Gysh (70)
    Bound Purple Sun of Shyish (60)
    Bound The Burning Head (40)

Total: 2000 / 2000
    Extra Command Points: 0
    Allies: 0 / 400
    Wounds: 146

5. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

I like it!

IggyStarhost, Lizerd and Grotpunter like this.
  6. Grotpunter
    Troglodon

You just seem to include Terradons in all of your FoS lists from what I have seen.

Lizerd and LizardWizard like this.
  7. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

I like Terradons a lot. The only strong counter play to them is to shoot them. Which just happens to be the same counter play to kill skink blobs. The majority of shooting armies will have to decided to which focus fire. And the other should likely emerge intact. And either threat is capable of killing off most shooting blocks.

Armies who can't shoot them are just out of luck :D

IggyStarhost, Lizerd and Grotpunter like this.
  8. Grotpunter
    Troglodon

I have somewhat mixed feelings with Terradons. They seem like a one-button wonder. You basically press the button and delete a single unit, but then they flop about helplessly. I guess it is ok to spend 340/430 (depending on 9 vs 12 Terradons) to eliminate 1 big threat.

Do you think double frog is worthwhile, or what would you change about the list without entirely remaking the idea behind it?

LizardWizard and Lizerd like this.
  9. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

Erta Wanderer Well-Known Member

they are a one button wonder but oh what a button they can wipe half of your opponents army in one turn. mmm happy thoughts

10. Grotpunter
    Troglodon

This will work as a "gotcha-moment" against people that dont see it coming/arent experienced with it. But if your opponent knows what Terradons do, they wont let you hit that many units at once.

In fact against many armies I predict you will likely have to hold the Terradons back for multiple turns to hope the screens make a hole etc.

11. DeathBringer125
    Carnasaur

DeathBringer125 Well-Known Member

I like this list alot. And I have the stuff to do it (as long as I base my skinks). Seems fun and fairly straightforward. And I love the use of double Slann. Any tips on tactics etc to use with this list?

Lizerd and LizardWizard like this.
  12. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

In most cases I expect to use the Terradons more for their threat than for their actual impact. As much as you are forced to bide your time and be patient so is your opponent. And they will be taking damage from other sources all the while. Terradons high movement allows them to remain at a safe distance from most threats while still being able to capitalize on a good double turn.

Turn two-three is when I expect to get work done with my Terradons. Perhaps 3-4 vs some opponents/armies. Terradons are also useful beyond their MWs. Their shooting is equal to Razordons in most cases. It's range is the only downside, but this can be countermanded by the units impressive movement speed.

I like Kroak with Slann. It is extra CCP; minior but still useful. Having 3 more spell slots and being able to cast Equilibrium for Kroak are all great additions. In most cases the question will become, would 360 points be better spent on more Salamanders, Skinks, or Terradons.

Just A Skink, Nart and Grotpunter like this.
  13. Grotpunter
    Troglodon

I didnt really think about just using their mobility to move around on the board when the time comes. My plan was to go javelins (since they can shoot outside 9") and go with Shadowstrike batallion. The only thing that has kept me back was that without any significant charge bonuses, the charge roll will on average fail, and as such they would be stranded 9" away more than half the time. If the odds are that bad, I dont like basing my strategy around it.

I dont know how relevant the 5 Guards are - Playtesting will show - So maybe I could sub the 5 Guards + Salamanders for 9 Terradons + 1 Chief.

I do like the idea of placing the Realmshaper Engine just inside 1 territory and hope for the 50/50. If I fail it and my opponent deploys something inside, Kroak will have reach for bomb whatever is inside with Astrolith + Balewind. If I do win the roll-off, I'll deploy Kroak inside with the Guard behind it. Giving him a 3+ save and -2 to be hit vs shooting, any wounds that go through is 2+ to the guards and remaining wounds is 4+ and 6+.

14. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

Try both builds and see which you like more. I am not a huge fan of the Starborne Shadowstrike Starhost. If I take it will probably be to put screening units of Skinks into the heavens or because I really want "x" artefact. I do feel like Terradons have enough movement to be fine on their own. Then if you are playing against an army with sufficient shooting or table reach to threaten your Terradons you can put them into the Heavens for safekeeping.

15. red_moo
    Skink

red_moo New Member

Ohh good one! Will surely play around with this. The other interesting option that i see here would maybe be dropping starseer and kroak for slann, starpriest and one more salamander for 2x2 units.

Ok, noted,thank you! I think I got way too invested in necessary inclusion of the battalion.

I would think keeping them back, then setting up the heros, starborn teleporting terradons in to position and shoot/throw rocks would be a good option. Wrong?

IggyStarhost, Lizerd and LizardWizard like this.
  16. Lizerd
    Skink Priest

Lizerd Well-Known Member

Do we have any lists that could do week against orruks? Preferably one without carnosaurs ( no I’m not having an identity crisis) as my current list beat the life out of them a while back. I’m guessing purple sun of shyish and salamanders?

IggyStarhost, Nart and LizardWizard like this.
  17. Grotpunter
    Troglodon

It is hard to say, because I havent tried the list at all due to the current lockdown in my country. People are taking it rather serious (as they should!) in my area. It also heavily depends on what you are facing.

My general idea is to kill support heroes (Comet's Call, possibly Realmshaper Engine, Geminids zooming about etc.) but also whittle down the army with a buffed up 40 man Skinks squad effectively shooting twice reach battleround with a CP. All our buffs last until our next hero phase, so the FoS command ability makes the Skinks shoot at the enemy charge phase while they are all juiced up - This is a lot of damage per point. If they manage to run away on the 4+, the enemy might be in for a rough time. Salamanders are great against high armor stuff - I would likely buff up these and be ready to deepstrike an important unit with our teleport. If they make the charge - Great, if not, their shooting should still deal significant damage.

The idea is that you generally want to drag out the game and whittle down your opponent, since you are pretty much entirely magic/shooting. You really want to get Bound Geminids and Bound Purple Sun on the board asap. Bound Geminids is cast on a 7 and Purple Sun is cast on an 8 - You are sitting at either +3 on both of Kroak and the Slann or +4 Kroak and +2 Slann. The Slann also gets 1 reroll with his trait. This is actually rather difficult to dispell for a majority of armies, since they have to beat the casting value, so the Bound Endless Spells are likely gonna last for a couple of turns. If not, they will at least eat up likely important casts from enemy wizards.

Im still toying with the Realmshaper Engine, and I'll admit I jumped the gun on the terrain piece a bit too fast. I will likely put it in 1 deployment zone and hope for the 50/50 - Put Kroak inside and 5 Guards behind the terrain feature. If my enemy gets the side and is baited into putting units inside, the footprint is likely so big that Kroak got reach with Astrolith +6 and Balewind +6 from turn 1 to bomb whatever is inside with 3x CD etc. Should likely die.

Summoning is really a great complimentary to Starborne imo. On average you will get 8 CCP per turn. Depending on how you roll and what you need, you can drag in a unit of 10 Skinks to screen your important stuff, or summon a new Skink Priest/Starpriest if your current ones get sniped or you want to juice up both 40 man blobs.

There is really a lot of MWs between the Skink Starseer buff on 40 Skinks, the Salamanders, Endless Spells and Kroak. We dont care about OBR rerolling saves in combat since they will die during the shooting phase/magic slinging.

LizardWizard, Lizerd and Nart like this.
  18. HeavyD6
    Jungle Swarm

HeavyD6 New Member

Is Tournament better then Competitive or worse?

LizardWizard and Erta Wanderer like this.
  19. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

Erta Wanderer Well-Known Member

Tournament is what most mean by Competitive. but it's not as bad as most think a lot of people go to them just to show of armies and have fun

HeavyD6, Nart and LizardWizard like this.
  20. red_moo
    Skink

red_moo New Member

In the sense of the lists in this topic I think it was meant as tournament lists having less exploitable weaknesses than the competitive ones.

LizardWizard likes this.