1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Don't have enough monsters? Or just want to show off your painting skills. Why not try entering the Monster Mash! - Click here for more info.
    Dismiss Notice

Army Fluff Shogun of the Dragon Isles- Samurai Lizardmen

Discussion in 'Fluff and Stories' started by Warden, Jan 13, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Warden
    Skink Priest

Warden Well-Known Member

Thanks for the show of support, I am honored and humbled you have shown so much interest as to ask to do some writing along these lines!

I am currently working on the overarching storyline, concerning the rise (or more specifically the fall) of the powerful Tlaxeda clan against the rise of the Oka clan. I mentioned where most of the clans get their real-world inspiration from in one of the spoliers above, but here is a quick future-spoiler of where I plan to go with this fluff.
    The Big Bads:

Oka Clan at its height.png

Oka Clan (saurus daimyo Oka Noburaka) = Oda Clan (daimyo Oda Nobunaga)

Togamo Clan (skink daimyo Togamo Hideyoza) = Toyotomi Clan (Toyotomi Hideyoshi)

Cocomara Clan (saurus daimyo Cocomara Igyasu) = Tokugawa Clan (daimyo Tokugawa Ieyasu, the eventual Shogun of Japan)

More Spoilers!

These three warriors are known as the Big Three (lots of other names but for simplicities sake), they are essentially the winners of the Sengoku period in medieval Japan, with the third becoming the Shogun.

In a lot of Japanese literature they are painted as either good (heroic conquerors bravely saving Japan from anarchy by establishing a new military order in the name of the Emperor), or bad (tyrannical warlords conquering their rivals to increase their own power).

My objective is the second option because it seems more interesting. I am hoping to show the valiant struggles of the other independent warriors as they fight against and overwhelming enemy, and triumph/or not.

The Good:

The main characters I am working with on the other end are these guys, which I did pictures for so far!

Sonaka Zangami- saurmurai general of the Tlaxeda Clan, incredibly loyal to his daimyo, takes part in the downfall of his clan against the forces of Oka Noburaka's invasion.
    03 Sonaka Zangami 1_small.jpg

Dzi Mangan- (anti-hero?) saurmurai warlord of the North and supreme rival of Sonaka Zangami, but unites with his rival against the superior threat.
    04 Dzi Mangan_Small.jpg

Muzashi- sauronin of great renown and no lord, is the most accomplished duelist in all the Dragon Isles. Legendary figure, is rumored to have competed in over 1000 duels during his lifetime. Allies with Sonaka Zangami in his fight against the agents of the Oka and Cocomara clans.
    01 Sauronin Muzashi_small.jpg

Ennico de Ardizi- a human protagonist from my earlier work on the Dragon Isles, that I intend to include as a human foil to the Lizard characters, and to act as a point-of-view and a narrarator. He was in the previous work on the Dragon Isles when he was capture by pirates, and winds up working for Sonaka Zangami as his standard bearer after "saving his life."

Also would really love to get a skink/chameleon ninja in there somewhere.

So far I have only done a short story showing one of the vassals of the Oka Clan, intended to be a foreshadowing of this particular saurmurai's treacherous nature.

The overarching-storyline is intended to be in three parts, so far I have completely outlined the first part (Red Scale Rising) and drafted its first few chapters, the other two parts are just in the idea stage.

But because of the interest you have shown I will try and produce a basic timeline of events next, in order to show some of the major events in the Dragon Isles history, and some of the more recent conflicts. I have no problem with anyone else picking up a piece of this realm/story and creating their own work, and I am definitely open to some collaborative efforts as well.

The interactive saurus painted is a good idea, I haven't thought of that.

As of yet the heraldry/color schemes I have put together are the clan heraldry banners that the warriors would put on their backs, but I have so far done at least the armor for three main characters based on Ukiyo-e pictures (in the spoiler above). I want to do more, I am hoping I can get at least one good drawing of the other main characters and prominent Daimyo of the Dragon Isles. I will start working on this as well!

Edit: one of the pics didn't load, fixed it.

Captaniser, Bowser and Crowsfoot like this.
  2. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Incredible world building here. Just makes it so easy to get excited to see more!

3. Wolfwerty33
    Cold One

Wolfwerty33 Active Member

That's good, since I was planning to focus on the more westerly isles (Yaxum and... Koatan?). My current story plan is that a saurus war-leader from a lesser tribe on Yaxum gets pressured into providing (and leading) troops for the Xiumazu Clan.

Warden and Bowser like this.
  4. Warden
    Skink Priest

Warden Well-Known Member

That sounds interesting, I would love to see what you come up with. I got a list of saurus tribes/some clan symbols made for the island already, but feel free to come up with a new one if you like.

Only clan I would shy away from is the Iz'ziko Sect, because they are mostly religiously fanatic skink warrior-monks and outcast sauronin who have rebelled against the saurmurai warrior lords and daimyo. More of an entire Dragon-Isles grassroots rebellion than an actual clan, as there are many Iz-ziko sects in rebellious pockets throughout the Isles that are constantly a thorn in the daimyo's sides.

Unless that is what you plan to use, in that case go for it!

dragon isles map with key.png

Koatan is the most westerly island, the one that is eventually overtaken by the Oka Clan in their daimyo's quest to become the shogun.

Currently working on a timeline for the first half of shogun-dragon-isles fluff, it will be ready shortly.

Captaniser and Bowser like this.
  5. John Csonka
    Jungle Swarm

John Csonka New Member

Any up date on this project? I would like to know more information about the Island of Yaxum particularity the minor clans and the relationship to one another and the Major clans. Thanks in advance. :)

Warden and Captaniser like this.
  6. Warden
    Skink Priest

Warden Well-Known Member

It has been a while hasn't it?! :bag: I appreciate the interest.

I will have to dig through some of my old notes and see what else I have lying around, and maybe revisit some loose ends.

The storyline I started writing never actually materialized past the first two chapters, but I had a decent timeline written down somewhere to show the scope of the Dragon Isles history.

Crowsfoot likes this.
  7. John Csonka
    Jungle Swarm

John Csonka New Member

I'm Looking forward to see what you will dig up :)