1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Should I go 10/30 or 20/20 on javelin/boltspitter Skinks?

Discussion in 'Seraphon Tactics' started by DarkStar5758, Jan 9, 2019.

?

Should I go 10/30 or 20/20 on javelin/boltspitter Skinks?

1. Make 10 of both

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Make 20 with boltspitters

10 vote(s)
    83.3%
  1. ILKAIN
    Skink Chief

ILKAIN Well-Known Member

and now we are all lich's... and the last unpainted model is our phylactery.

2. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

There fixed it for you.

3. Val Muna
    Saurus

Val Muna Active Member

I'm coming from 40k, and older editions at that. If you needed 1000 pts, you brought 1000 pts, with maybe a bench to swap in and out for flexibility. The idea of needing 1.5x or even 2x models with respect to what you're fielding, while the only obvious answer, is a strange new thought. It brings about the idea of having to plan and think about what you want to WYSIWYG your summons with (this thread really cementing that idea). Crap, LON players must bring like 200 skeletons. (i guess since you certainly can use the casualties as well, just ~160 skeletons).

Crowsfoot likes this.
  4. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Aren't the skeletons all ressurected casualities? Very few new units?

But yeah, AoS does push it rather far with actually needing those extra models. Usually you'd build up your collection eventually occasionally getting some doubles, or some newer variants of something. AoS is lately going quite heavy on the "you're going to need extra from day 1" with all the summoning that is indeed a bit extreme.

Crowsfoot and Val Muna like this.
  5. ILKAIN
    Skink Chief

ILKAIN Well-Known Member

gotta sell models and make money!

Crowsfoot likes this.
  6. Val Muna
    Saurus

Val Muna Active Member

Yeah i think you are actually right here. I guess FEC is a better example, LOTS of new models coming on the board, there.

At first i was stunned by the near "generosity" of the pricing of skinks and lizard warriors, esp since the other force i was looking into was Fyreslayers at a whopping $6 USD per battline. Even considering summoning, I can get 3 saurus warriors per berserker or like 5 skinks. I am sort of holding off cause i just have this taste int he air of potentially new models, sorta like the first whiff of spring in late Feb. But of course, then they will be $40 for a box of 12 or some such :(

Crowsfoot likes this.
  7. ILKAIN
    Skink Chief

ILKAIN Well-Known Member

so Fyreslayers is my second army (BRAND NEW SECOND ARMY LOL) and while their cost may be a bit higher... their models are more elite and you use less of them. dude your battle line has 4+ save, 4+ feel no pain, and will average 15 mortal wounds on a charge at full strength. we cant touch that with a 10 foot pole. of course that battle line also costs like 75% more than ours lol.

Crowsfoot and Val Muna like this.
  8. Val Muna
    Saurus

Val Muna Active Member

Well right, but they are still fielded in groups of 40 (or as i have heard it said: Horde army, priced as an elite army) , for at least one battleline unit, then 10 and 10 . That's 60 models at $6 a pop or $360! I feel like with skinks, and the 40,20,20 which is on the high end of what i have seen, you're looking at ~116, say $180 including summons. What i don't know is the $/point, maybe it breaks more even there.

And yeah as i was looking into the Fyreslayers.. i was astounded to find they also perform poorly, and was at a loss as to why, with what may be the toughest battline in the game. Is it there too-slow speed? power-creep has them outdone? No strong combo-wambo?

LizardWizard and Crowsfoot like this.
  9. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

We have all been that person......

LizardWizard likes this.
  10. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

God I don’t want to think about the cost of my army!

LizardWizard likes this.
  11. ILKAIN
    Skink Chief

ILKAIN Well-Known Member

Current meta is objective holding and they are easily among, if not THE, slowest moving army. also their allegiance ability is highly susceptible to RNG.. we can mitigate ours a bit and after AOS2.0 the rng got better.

LizardWizard likes this.
  12. Val Muna
    Saurus

Val Muna Active Member

Well as i have said, I am coming from 40k... so not exactly the stingy end of war-gaming. But i did start well before i was even 13, so buying a box here and there and so on for like, my life, has just sort of been how it be.

If unpainted models are Phylacteries, what are primer-only models?

Man, i have really derailed this thread.

LizardWizard and Crowsfoot like this.
  13. Torxhol Drakescale
    Saurus

Torxhol Drakescale Active Member

I mean, quite a few threads end up this way. That's just how conversations work, but why did you have to go and put DOLLAR SIGNS here man? We all know we spend too much, don't make us think!

Val Muna likes this.
  14. Val Muna
    Saurus

Val Muna Active Member

hah i guess i am trying to analyze and optimize. And honestly i was turned off fyreslayers basically almost entirely because of that.

15. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

you can't spend too much on something you like :p