1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Single technique or tip that improved your painting greatly

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by Caprasauridae, Jan 27, 2016.

1. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Caprasauridae Well-Known Member

Hello, Lustria!

I saw this kind of thread either on Reddit or somewhere else (hopefully it wasn't here, my Google-fu failed me), some time ago and thought the idea was pretty great. You get to sound like a guru and newbies and seasoned veterans alike might learn something new.

So, please share one technique or a tip that improved your painting greatly, ideally simple thing whose effect was huge.

I can start. For me, first big realization was that you can wash your models twice. Or use different washes one after another. Giving the model a moderate or light wash, then, after it has dried down, washing it again. This gives a way better finish than one super heavy wash. Also, you can add another coloured wash there as well. This can be a bit trickier, as the effect is not as pronounced. For example, brown wash after a heavy black wash probably won't give you much. But, a brown wash after a controlled dark red or reddish brown wash in the deepest crevices can already give some nice effect. Or, wash, highlight, wash again. This has also thought me to see where highlights should come, which is extremely useful and something I was really lacking.

Ok, I have other things that I could share, too, but maybe someone else can offer their opinions/thoughts instead.

2. StealthKnightSteg
    Razordon

StealthKnightSteg Well-Known Member

The use of a wet palette (posted in the How-to- post) has greatly influenced the flow of my paint and the longevity of the paint

Caprasauridae likes this.
  3. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Dry brushing changed my life and it opened my eyes to 3D minatures before it everything looked flat

Sorry but got to add quality brush into the mix (@neveroddoreven)

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  4. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Use a palate of some kind,*
    this opens a lot of doors;
    mixing paints, blending, paint consistency, etc... :artist:

*These days I'm using a porcelain palate.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  5. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

tom ndege Well-Known Member

Well, as simple as important is in my opinion that you have a good workplace! With the right lights and some ergonomic aspects taken into consideration you will achieve better results than sitting on a pillow in front of a low table under dim light...

Caprasauridae and n810 like this.
  6. neveroddoreven
    Temple Guard

neveroddoreven Well-Known Member

Medium. I was always searching for a way to blend layers smoothly, and it wasn't until I started using medium that I could. My painting skill drastically improved in one day. Now I often get private messages from lurkers on this forum saying "what airbrush do you use?".

Another one, speaking for my brother, is using something other than a Citadel brush.

n810, Caprasauridae and tom ndege like this.
  7. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Brush's are a massive thing, and not sure if this allowed but I'm going to name the best brush I have ever used,

Newton and Windsor Series A, (I'm editing my post as we speak)

And were still waiting for your tutorial, (I know your busy with the commission and other stuff, wink, wink)

8. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Thanks for the answers so far, guys! I would have wanted to mention the use of medium/drying retarder, better brushes and wet palette as well, all great little things that help you a lot. And one very important thing that I didn't even think of is the work area, like @tom ndege said. If your painting area is too good, try painting in a bad lighting at a coffee table or something, you'll learn to appreciate it... ;)

9. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Pinktaco Vessel of the Old Ones Staff Member

So you mix the medium and the color you wish to use?

10. neveroddoreven
    Temple Guard

neveroddoreven Well-Known Member

Yeah yeah, it's coming. This is how my schedule is looking -
    1 - Finish commission, currently on model 10 of 11.
    2 - "Other stuff" wink, wink.
    3 - Video tutorial on painting a Ripperdactyl.

4 - Video tutorial on the uses of medium.

11. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Can't wait

12. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

13. Fhanados
    Terradon

Fhanados Well-Known Member

I'm a pretty basic painter - I'm an incredibly non-artistic individual but having a nice looking army is one of the greatest joys of this hobby. My painting revolutions, in order, are:
    1. Watering down paints. Seriously, my early paint jobs are blobby as hell.
    2. Drybrushing. Still my bread and butter along with...
    3. Washes, including Quickshade. Turns my "meh" paintjobs into "hey that's not too bad" paint jobs
    A notable mention goes out to my airbrush which I used for basecoating red on a good 100 models. I would have jumped off a bridge if I had to paint all that red by hand.

spess, n810 and Crowsfoot like this.
  14. spess
    Cold One

spess Well-Known Member

I have to second this, and probably in this order too.

Also if you're painting a single character or something, I prefer to stick it into some blue tack and mount it on a pot of paint. It lets you turn and look at the model without touching it.

15. Fhanados
    Terradon

Fhanados Well-Known Member

I've been doing a lot of assembling models lately and I feel I need to adjust this with:
    1. Plan how you're going to actually paint a model - don't fully assemble it before considering how hard it's going to be to paint difficult nooks and crannies
    2. Watering down paints. Seriously, my early paint jobs are blobby as hell!
    3. Drybrushing. Still my bread and butter along with...
    4. Washes, including Quickshade. Turns my "meh" paintjobs into "hey that's not too bad" paint jobs
    I struggle a lot with 1. I very often fully assemble models on the fly, do a mass basecoat using my airbrush and then sit down and thing "damn, how do I paint that bit?". When getting stuff to tabletop quality this isn't so bad but right now I'm trying to up my game and it's proved very challenging to get those tricky to reach places.

I'm working on 2 Imperial (Renegade) Knights for 40k and I'm consciously fighting the urge to stick it all together. Duncan's video on WarhammerTV has helped me resist.

Crowsfoot likes this.
  16. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Ran into this a few days ago on Dakkadakka.
    http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/0/660242.page

Similar idea as in this post and lots of great stuff from very basic and all-encompassing things to super specific, and from building to converting to painting, even terrain and battle board making. I know it's quite long, but if you keep the tab open and read a page on your coffee break or while in the toilet, it won't take that long to finish.

n810 likes this.