1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Skink advice

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by Host Tar, Feb 20, 2013.

1. Host Tar
    Jungle Swarm

Host Tar New Member

Sorry can't work out how the pics work on here :-(

The below is a test & I tried all sorts on him, which is why he's beaten up! - I'll go through what I did & what I think may work for the real ones, but please advise as I'm a complete novice at the lizard folk :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/93380766@N02/8490931994/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/93380766@N02/8489831227/

Whole Body
    1. White primer
    2. 50:50 Enchanted Blue/Nightshade over whole body
    3. Pure Nightshade wash (heavy over the scales, medium in recesses, light on remainder)

Scales
    4. Thunderhawk Blue on scales & top of crest
    5. 75:25 Thunderhawk Blue/Rakrath Flesh on scales (feathered) & top of crest (layered)
    6. 50:50 Thunderhawk Blue/Rakrath Flesh on large scales (feathered) & top of crest (layered)
    7. Pure Rakrath Flesh on large scales (feathered) and top of creat (highlight)

Skin***
    8. 25:50:25 Enchanted Blue/Nightshade/Skull White over skin (layered)
    9. 25:25:50 Enchanted Blue/Nightshade/Skull White over skin (layered)
    10. 25:75 Nightshade/Skull White over skin (layered)
    11. Pure Skull White highlights on skin

Eyes
    12. Wash eyes and tongue with Crimson
    13. 80:20 Skull White/Blood Red on eyes & tongue (layered)
    14. Pure Skull White on eyes & tongue (layered)

Fan
    15. Pure Skull White on crest (skin flap thing)
    16. Crimson Wash on crest (fan?)
    17. Skull White highlights on crest fan ridges

*** I tested various methods on the skin, hence the absolute mess! But I got to the above process correct on his right leg which you can see in the 1st image, which I was most happy with and comfortable repeating.

2. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to the Forum.

I really like the way the skull jumps out on the skink. It has a real voodoo feel to it.

In order to post pictures within posts, use the pic button or the tags [pic].

Again, welcome to the forum.

3. Host Tar
    Jungle Swarm

Host Tar New Member

Thanks for the welcome :)

Yea for the face, I was thinking of going for some sort of deathmask face-paint thing..will have to practice to get it right, but the lines of the model are quite sharp around the face/jaw, so it shouldn't be too tough to make some kind mask effect

4. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

Qupakoco Keeper of the Dice Staff Member

Here you go:

8490931994_a54c05f93f.jpg

8489831227_4376da49cf.jpg

8489832033_edb90eecc1.jpg

He looks good. I like the skull head too. Very primitive and kind of creepy. Maybe put a light brown wash over the head to give it some depth.

The color on the right leg looks good. Seems like a lot of work to get it there but the result is very nice.

5. Host Tar
    Jungle Swarm

Host Tar New Member

Thanks! ..seems so simple now :p

Have tried again with a more serious attempt - didn't try for the war-paint, it wasn't looking great. Made it all darker too, will try again tomorrow with a much lighter shade.

I know my method is long, but I love experimenting, & I love the unexpected results - in this case, the blue tone you get when you mix enchanted blue with nighshade wash

Anyways, see what you think. Will go for an icy blue tmrw -- oh and the warpstone shards are because I'm making a multicultural skaven slave unit & wanted to tie it into a warp obsessed warlock engineer who's main char of the army.

8492665207_2ccfe6b260_m.jpg

8492668223_9165384f34_m.jpg

8492666465_46741927ca_m.jpg

6. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

That actually works really well with the blue and green. It also is not the standard 'blue' color that the old standard army was.