1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Skink Priest vs Starpriest

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Bainbow, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Bainbow
    Bastiladon

Bainbow Well-Known Member

I noticed the mention of a new "Starpriest" in the most recent White Dwarf, but as the new Seraphon PDF rules have finally dropped, we can see that the Starpriest is indeed something different to the classic Priest (and by "classic" I mean the couple months old Priest.) So what are everyone's opinions on the new Starpriest in comparison to the regular Priest?

First glance, the most obvious difference is that the Starpriest is a wizard, unlike the Priest. This comes with a new spell, Starlight, which seems to act like something from the old Lore of Light by blinding attacking enemies, lowering their To Hit. It can be placed on an ally unit to give -1 To Hit against anyone attacking that unit, or on an enemy unit to give just that unit -1 To Hit. If placed on Chaos Daemons, it also hits them with D3 Mortal Wounds, doubling it as a pseudo Arcane Bolt. This makes for some wonderful defensive utility, in addition to the two generic spells. In addition, this acts as a new source for unbinding enemy spells.
    In addition, the Starpriest can also go all Sotek on some nearby Saurus and give them venomous bites, making 6's To Wound cause 2 damage rather than 1 for bite attacks. I imagine this would synergise well with the Saurus battalion with those additional bites. Funnily enough, this is useless on Skinks as they get no bites.

On the other hand, the Priest keeps its access to all the previous equipment, such as the Celestial Rites, the Starbolt, and the Cloak of Feathers. All the stuff we already know.

Thoughts? Personally I think I'm going to go with the Starpriest, I like the Starlight spell and I'm already a magic-heavy army so this blends in perfectly.

Slanputin likes this.
  2. Wazz
    Troglodon

Wazz Well-Known Member

Just checked the warscroll and im on the Star priest boat as well. Mostly for the fact that hes a wizard and the venomous bites buff. I personally have bad rolls with their wep rolls but usually get the bites off lol. I do like the defensive aspect as well. Hit a ranged group and it helps keep your guys alive out in the open.

3. Wazz
    Troglodon

Wazz Well-Known Member

Does it work with the Saurus Knights cold ones? It says their bite or jaws and the cold one vicious bite does have "bite" in its name lol.

4. Bainbow
    Bastiladon

Well it specifies "jaw or bite attacks," and the actual Saurus' bites are referred to as "powerful jaws," while the Cold Ones get "bites." So I'd say yes, the Cold One's themselves get poison.
    I imagine it's anyone who bites gets the poison.

5. Wazz
    Troglodon

Wazz Well-Known Member

THAT IS AWESOME! I'm a big fan of the knights and the now Scar-vet on cold one. For smaller games i use them and the vet as my commander for his command ability. This makes my day!

6. Bainbow
    Bastiladon

Tell you what I'm more excited for. Use it on the Oldbood Carnosaur and when the carnosaur uses its bite attacks, listed as "jaws" so they fit the criteria, it'll do 6 DAMAGE with one bite! Chuck a Curse of Fates on it to increase the odds of a 6 and holy shit!

7. lastlostboy
    Saurus

lastlostboy Member

It should also work with the Salamanders(3 attacks, 1 damage), the Troglodon (6 attacks, 2 damage) and the Oldblood on Carnosaur (5 attacks, 3 damage). :D

Wazz likes this.
  8. Bainbow
    Bastiladon

Already mentioned the Carnosaur, I'm so excited.

Wazz likes this.
  9. Bainbow
    Bastiladon

Actually, here's a puzzler. Would the venom double the number of mortal wounds caused by a Kroxigor's Jaws Like A Steel Trap?

10. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Starpriest here as well, and I love how the new names give the models a feel greater than they were before.

It just feels like we have more freedom now to convert models into other warscrolls, already got a Starseer planned just need the battletome first.

11. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

I'd say so, there is nothing in either scroll to suggest it would not, Krox will be very good hero hunters with this ability.

Wazz likes this.
  12. Wazz
    Troglodon

Wazz Well-Known Member

Krox are on my wish list big time lol. Yeah plus being able to name your heroes yourself is nice. I didnt want to get/use Chak-ax bc of his lore before lol. Now that hes just Eternity Warden im like well he does look bad ass.... anyone k ow if any other armies got as much love as we did?

13. El Caimán
    Cold One

El Caimán Active Member

Very yes so!
    Let's say you roll a six, then your opponent rolls a 1 and you a six again (lucky guy), you are making 10 mortal wounds :p

Wazz likes this.
  14. Des_DS
    Skink

Des_DS Member

Not to be a kill joy, but I am not sure about this. As writen you could agure that it wouldn't double the mortal wounds because your getting the mortal wounds from the ability not the attack. Personally I am hoping it will double but I would talk it out with my opponent before the game.

But back to the main topic, personally I want to bring both in any list but if you want me to just pick one it would depend.

The starpriest is better if you just have one big target you want to give starlight, mystic shield or the serpent staff to. It has a better chance of getting off starlight or mystic shield (espicially if you already have magic booster in your list) then the priest's celestial rites, and he can do it from farther away.

The normal priest is better if your running multiple things you want to protect and want them to get into close combat quicker(saurs and saurs gaurd are prime targets for it). On top of this with its cloak of feathers it has a higher armor save and has much faster movement. The extra movement is also flying letting it be a much better arcane vessal for your slann to throw acrane bolt through. This brings me to the priest ranged attack, so it can apply it's buff and then range attack unlike the starpriest. I would even use the priest in close combat because of the extra armor.

Both are great and I would probably try to bring both all the time!

15. Bainbow
    Bastiladon

My problem with the Priest is that while it's AoE is a stronger defensive buff, it's harder to use as it has that 50/50 chance of failing, compared to the much easier spell of the Starpriest. The Starpriest is more reliable.

16. tom ndege
    Skar-Veteran

tom ndege Well-Known Member

If I had a model of the priest I would also try to use both... In my opinion the star priest seems more suitable for buffing units occasionally from the back row and the priest goes to the front using his bubble effect and range attack to cause some trouble...

Wazz and Des_DS like this.
  17. Tlac'Natai the Observer
    Cold One

Tlac'Natai the Observer Active Member

I ran the starpriest with my saurus knights and every turn I "leveled my staff" at the knights. When they charge (with lances) this means that every attack they make that turn does something super kool on a wound roll of 6. Throw in a vet on cold-one for that extra bite attack with the command ability. This nets 5 attacks per model that would all deal double damage on wounds of 6.

Starpriest is very exciting! I'm happy with the addition to our warscroll list. I still need a priest model now though, the change blind sided me and now I technically don't have a skink patrol formation =( unless the new shadowstrike formation makes use of the starpriest rather than reg priest.

Wazz and Bowser like this.
  18. Des_DS
    Skink

Des_DS Member

From what I have scene, Yes the Shadowstrike formation use the starpriest instead(Yay! I had the same problem). If this is wrong I will tell you as soon as I know for sure.

19. Bainbow
    Bastiladon

Well remember, if the formation says "requires a Skink Priest" then the Starpriest can still be used because it has both the Skink and Priest keywords, making it a Skink Priest. It's the same way you can use a mounted Oldblood for the basic Saurus battalion, or named characters in battalions.

20. Xlanax_lot
    Troglodon

Xlanax_lot Well-Known Member

I am also going for both! To be fair, both of them are awesome... But if I had to choose I would probably go with the starpriest

Des_DS and Bowser like this.