Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by Christopher, Dec 10, 2017.
Good start on the priest, I actually did a bit on my Seraphon last night nice change from Death.
I also loved painting my Priest, and yours looks really good!
About the Rippers: Are those the original poles, just painted, or are those homemade ones? Also: Any specific reasons why you didn't like the transparent ones? (no issue with that, just curious. I replaced them as well).
Nice bases, too.
Thanks everyone! I finished up the Priest this morning. He looks a lot better on the workbench (and in these pictures when viewed on my phone) than in these ultra-closeups, let me tell you. The only thing I'm really not happy about is the wavy stripes that are supposed to be highlights on his cloak lining. I might go back in and touch those up.
As for your question, @Aginor, those are the original transparent elevation poles and I painted them because of inexperience and laziness. I've had those guys built forever, and when I built them (right after I first started buying this army), I merrily and speedily glued everything together. Everything. So when it came time to prime, I went, "Huh, now what?" So I hand-primed one of them with Abaddon Black, which I think you're not supposed to do (prime with a base paint), and there they sat forever. Then when this project started and I suddenly need them pretty quickly, I decided to just spray prime them with everything else, which necessitated coming up with some kind of paint scheme for those poles. I'm not entirely satisfied with them, either, but again, something I can go back to once I'm through this League. I have three more Rippers to build for the 2000 point iteration of this army, and haven't decided yet what I'm going to do about them. I want them all to match, though, so I guess I'll spray prime them.
Anyway, here are some closeups of the Priest, in all his jagged paint edged glory! First time I've used a glaze paint, green over silver in the head of his staff.
Somebody upthread recommended I do ALL the basecoating on my Troglodon before advancing or I'd regret it. I'm following that advice and have started with the rider. I kind of like this "base coat only" stage. The models remind me of toys at this stage.
And here she is fully base painted. Step One complete. Of about six or seven! But I'm now confident that I'l have her fully painted and based in time for my game tomorrow at 4:30. Hopefully I'll complete everything but the final touches on the base tonight.
I'm going to be using two or three techniques I have little or no experience with: glazing, use of the technical paint Nurgle's rot (on the spittle), and, mainly, drybrushing. I'm a little concerned with how that last is going to work out in particular since I'll be doing it over such large areas (the three main color areas of the beastie), I want to highlight the scales, but don't want to overbrush so much that things look milky or chalky. I guess I'll just be very careful!
Say, where are the eyes on this thing?
I think they are blind like the Idoneth Namarti, which would explain the Drawn to the Screams rule
Indeed... their fluff explanation is that they are cave dwellers hunting in absolute darkness only by smell and audio sense... not unlike many real world cave dwellers or snakes do... they also have some emphatic/telepathic capabilities so they kind of see through their riders eye iirc...
And here she is. A boy's first behemoth. I'll shade and drybrush some highlights on the ground/base in the morning and add grass effects.
Not bad for your first big dino
Well, here it is. It's taken me nearly a month, but I've got my thousand point army built, primed, and painted in full, including bases. Weeks Three and Four of my League call for 1500 and 2000 points, and fielding fully painted armies in those weeks is probably out of my reach, given other life demands right now, but I'm going to try.
And here's my "to do" photo for the 1500 point game next week. It's not actually as bad as it looks because I only need to build two models out of the Saurus Warriors box. Anyway, it's: (1) build, prime, and paint Lord Kroak; (2) build, prime, and paint Saurus Astrolith Bearer; (3) build, prime, and paint Balewind Vortex; (4) build, prime, and paint drummer and icon bearer from Saurus Warrior kit; (5) paint Bastilodon; (6) paint already-primed Saurus Warrior drummer and icon bearer; (7) paint eight Saurus Warriors with clubs; and (8) paint eight Saurus Warriors with spears.
Realistically, if I get everything built and primed I'll be more or less happy, and maybe just maybe I'll hit my fully painted goal for the 2000 point week. I'm crashing a deadline right now and am forbidden from going to my workbench until I've got the project turned in.
Looks like you will have a sizeable army together in no time!
Looks good. Get the project done, then back to the painting table!
I'm going to seperate my replies to address things equally.
1. right under the skink priest, on the spine, you have a daub of blue paint.
2. is the back banner supposed to be stone or gold?
3. otherwise he looks ace.
this is quite an achievement. I must say Bravo!
as to 1500 and then 2k. Take it slow. there is a great methodology to the phrase "1 hour a night" I believe in your ability, and think you can get it done.
1. work/real life/ wife comes first, always.
2. Batch paint the saurus in groups of 4-5
3. on anything big (Basti, kroak, vortex) basecoat everything first, like you did with the troglodon. it will speed things along.
For scenery I learnt a great trick when I did my Warhammer world painting day.
Prime it black, then drybrush it brown all over, then drybrush it your chosen colour, shade it, drybrush again your chosen colour and then drybrush a highlight, pick out detail.
We painted a Numinous Occulum in 2hrs and it looked fantastic.
Your army is looking great, but I really like your skink priests' feather cloak! Really nice rainbow feathers!