1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Star Wars Episode VIII - The Last Jedi

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by NIGHTBRINGER, Dec 17, 2016.

1. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

I agree, that's what I've been saying. @Aginor is right though when he says that objections raised were probably because as Star Wars we know that it is fabricated, so on some level it bothers us. They did do a good job with it, just not as good as Tarkin; who was spot on

2. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

She looks like Leia's twin sister, but not exactly like her.
    It is something around the eyes which makes her look weird, I can't really tell.
    Her face is a tad too long and thin probably.
    Even if you recolor it to match the original I can tell the difference, it is... close but not close enough. Ot creates an "uncanny valley" effect for me. Creepy. In the same way like in Madame Tussauds wax figures museum.

3. ravagekitteh
    Skink Chief

ravagekitteh Well-Known Member

I actually thought that the Tarkin CGi was almost too realistic, if that’s possible. It seemed almost more realistic and detailed than the real deal, and I could tell it was CGi. It wasn’t bad, it was almost too good.

As for L3-37, I thought her character was taking the piss out of the SJW stereotypes as much as if not more so than it was supporting it. When I watched it with my friends, we all found her hilarious

pendrake likes this.
  4. Aginor
    Slann

I am not sure. The character was so over the top that I instantly thought it was meant as satire, but then they played it so straight that I came to the conclusion that it actually wasn't, and at that point it started to bother me.
    But in the end it was pretty much the only thing that really bothered me, so the movie left a very good impression overall.

I'll watch the movie again as soon as it is on BluRay (very soon, in two weeks or so) and then see how the second viewing impacts my view on it. You know, some movies are better the second time, some are worse. You never know.

5. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Trust me it was not satirical. If you look at the general trend of Star Wars and Disney it becomes more and more obvious (both within the movie and through promotion / fan interaction).

Case in point, Kathleen Kennedy (president of Lucasfilm):
    [​IMG]

6. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

I actually thought Vader was rather poorly done in the Original Trilogy and that he was illustrated as an ‘all mouth but no trousers’ character, compared to Darth Maul, Count Dooku and Darth Sidious from Episodes I-III who were all so much more impressive with their Lightsaber skills and force abilities. It was only when I saw Rogue One that this opinion was obliterated. Just that one scene redeemed Vader in my eyes and truly showed us all what he was capable of - better than all of his scenes in the OT combined in my opinion. Before I went to see it I was secretly hoping that they would show Vader killing Rebel soldiers as this hadn’t been seen in the OT, and I was awe-inspired.

I believe both CGI characters were very good, but Tarkin in particular - they really did do a good job with bringing Peter Cushing back from the dead and got his gaunt look spot on. The voice actor was also very convincing - “You may fire when ready.”

7. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Obviously the choreography and focus on force powers were not nearly as sophisticated in the OT. The fight scenes were much slower, but that is simply a product of the times. Likewise, the special effects to bring about force powers were still in their infancy. However, Vader had a onscreen presence throughout those movies that has not been matched in any Star Wars movie since then. There is a reason why he is the most famous Star Wars character!

8. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

9. DeathBringer125
    Carnasaur

DeathBringer125 Well-Known Member

I personally loved the last jedi except for two scenes lol you know which ones lol. Other than that it was hilarious and well written. Especially when Chewbacca roared and the little puffin thing did to.

10. Aginor
    Slann

I also liked the Porgs. Funny little things, with the typical Star Wars flair of being similar to, but not quite like real existing animals. Cute too. I got myself a plush Porg and my kids love it as well.

11. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Surprisingly the Porgs were pretty good. I was really worried when I first saw them in the trailer but they turned out well.

12. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Agreed - they were by no means an Ewok remake and were pretty funny in their antics.

Aginor likes this.
  13. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

[​IMG]

Your thoughts betray you @Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl . I feel the good in you; the conflict. I made fun of TLJ, but I used a prequel meme to do so. Do you like this or hate it?! :D

14. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

I like it very much - I may like the Last Jedi, I may think it wipes the floor with the Force Awakens, but the stupid Leia in space moment and Poe disarming a Dreadnought all by himself addled the film’s plot in my view. It’s certainly nothing compared to the grand sweeping saga of Episodes I-III, and I’m pleased that it has drawn a lot of hate away from Episode I. ;)

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  15. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

25398840_940587226088382_6444469167588726649_n.jpg

16. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

17. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

You dare insinuate that an honest hardworking ethical company like Disney is wielding their influence over professional critics?

[​IMG]

Fun fact. I always liked tabletop RPGs and still do. When I was 13 to 16 or so my friends and my favorite RPG was Star Wars RPG by West End games. Now that I'm staring down 36, one of my friends actually suggested we perhaps try it again. Play retro Star Wars in a universe where Disney never threw out the expanded universe novels and while there might have been a clone wars, there were never any metacholorians and the Old Republic was unfortunately unable to save the Gungans from being eradicated.

It just seems weird to go back to something I did 20 years ago. Apart from the fact that there is a Star Wars shaped hole in my heart and I'm not sure I can get exited about playing a Star Wars character again, I also am pondering the Star Wars RPG system. It is the simplest RPG I ever played rules wise at least compared to White Wolf, all the D&Ds and Shadowrun. My adult accounting brain might balk at it.

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  18. DeathBringer125
    Carnasaur

DeathBringer125 Well-Known Member

I love the star wars rpg as well. I forget what edition I have but it’s just like D&D 3.5E. And it’s really fun. Especially reading the expanded species list.

19. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

20. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

I am very bad at being a Star Wars fan. Someone please explain: 1) the glove; 2) who this is (a director?); 3) why it is funny (If it’s funny) that he wears the glove; 4) and who’s glove it was in which movie.