1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Storm of Magic rumors

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Discussion' started by Gator, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Ionus
    Skink

Ionus New Member

From the white dwarf, it looks as if cold ones come separately since they are finecast. Also, vortexes are this hemispherical template the size of a small blast template, which move around the place doing stuff. There are 6 new templates out with storm of magic, but only while they last.

2. Kai Itzah
    Jungle Swarm

Kai Itzah New Member

Do we have any idea of what it is exactly that they do?

3. troubled_joe
    Saurus

troubled_joe Member

If I'm not very much mistaken, they are charging £10 for one cold one. £10 FOR ONE COLD ONE! Why on earth is it finecast? Every single other cold one is plastic. I think it is by far the most disgusting pricing I've ever seen. When I first heard they were doing cold ones I thought it seems like a great opportunity to pick some up to swap out for the ugly cartoony ones which comes as standard for cold one cavalry. Now I'll just stick to my original plan and buy a box of DE cold one knights instead. and save, oooh I don't know, ABOUT £30.

4. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

For one !!!!
    I was hoping that was the price for like 10. :jawdrop:

5. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

6. TheRolfgar
    Chameleon Skink

TheRolfgar New Member

Don't bother buying a box of them, I was able to get just the bodies and heads of the DE cold ones on Ebay for under $10. I intended on turning them into salamanders but I never got around to it. I do love those bitz sellers!

7. strewart
    OldBlood

strewart Well-Known Member

Yikes. I'd want it to be able to wash my car for that price.

I find it amusing/interesting that a month ago they were harping on about how fineca$t was the best thing since sliced bread (no exageration, GW actually compared the release to us landing on the moon, and said many of their staff weeped with tears when they saw the shear quality. More like when they saw the big miscasts) and now Storm of Magic is coming out, first chance to showcase this new material to its full potential, and the Cockatrice is in resin. Thats IT. All the other monsters are plastic. Even the new wizards are actually made of plastic not resin, plastic characters in blisters?!? When have they ever done that? Its very odd.

8. Gor-rok
    Terradon

Gor-rok Member

Why can't it be Storm of Well Executed Strategies or something? Magic was already getting annoying in 8th ed. While I like playing the odds as much as the next person, I'd like maneuvering and tactics to have some small part in the game.

9. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

I agree with you Gor-Rok. I am the last person to say that magic plays too much of a role in 8th edition (I love my slann). In our local club, most people have been turned off by the uber magic that 8th edition has introduced. Most of these guys are hardcore 40k players. They will buy the monsters for their 40k conversions alone.

A strategy based expansion was much more needed than more magic. It will be several months before I buy this expansion (if ever). I would rather focus on finsihing my army(ies). I would like to purchase some of the monsters, but I just do not see it happening any time soon.

10. strewart
    OldBlood

Don't wait several months to buy it. Its a short term fad, people will play it for a couple of months then it will be largely ignored, much like Apocalypse though that does still get played a fair bit more than I expect this to be. Large games of WHFB are simply unweildy and take way too long, and trying to correct this by throwing in big monsters and stupidly powerful spells doesn't make it anymore fun.

Thats my opinion though. I know the idea of uber magic really appeals to a lot of people, and I am sure lots of people will find it enjoyable, but I still don't really see it being a long-term thing.

11. Goat1of4
    Skink

Goat1of4 New Member

Wile the expansion focuses on powerful magic and monsters they have not ignored tactics entirely. In the Scenario that they showcase (it may be the only scenario there is) you must control more of the arcane fulcrums then your opponent. That means that even if you wipe out almost all your opponents army if you can’t dislodge his wizards you don’t win. For me that adds a lot of strategy to this scenario that is lacking in others.
    Now certainly there are people who will simply try to overload there wizards and blast everything away but that’s no different than in any other scenario. Wile a powerful magic phase adds randomness to the board I don’t think it detracts from the tactics you will use to win.

12. Gor-rok
    Terradon

Gor-rok Member

I'm glad some folks enjoy the new features, but as hard as I try I can't convince myself to like anything about this expansion. The stupid magic is one thing, but the monsters bug me as much or more.

One of the best aspects of WFB for me is the individuality of the armies. Nothing sets Lizardmen apart like a herd of stegadons; nothing says Dark Elves like a Hydra or two causing mayhem. Now from what I've read in White Dwarf everybody can take anything, up to and including Bloodthirster, and for no logical reason other than GW wanting to sell the models. You'll even be able to have undead rank and file fighting right along side your Sigmarite priest, because when giant sparkly pedestals nonsensically erupt out of the ground, well, anything goes.

I understand GW is a business, and their goal is to make money. I just hope they don't completely lose sight of all the things that drew me to the hobby in the first place.

13. Iggy Koopa
    Chameleon Skink

Iggy Koopa New Member

@Gorrok: I agree with you. I think this is GW trying to sell some more (expensive) models but, this won't be the norm from what I understand. I was reading through the WD and this isn't going to be standard on how games will be played. To me, it seems like it's the "Apocolypse" to 40K except for Fantasy, meaning that you and your opponent agree to play this type of game. I don't think this is going to be the future of Fantasy and I don't think it'll take shape in the GT circuits either. It'd be cool to do a big battle like this every now and then, but I'm like you, the individuality of each army is what makes it meaningful. I am probably going to pick up a book and maybe a monster or two (I still have the old Fenbeast!) but that'll probably be the extent of it. Maybe I'm reading it wrong... but I don't think this will be "how Fantasy is played" in the future.

14. MagpieManny
    Skink

MagpieManny New Member

It is actually just the Apocolypse version of Fantasy.

I actually like that you could just get some cool "other" army monsters and play them in your army, I actually think its pretty cool. It gives you an out to buy that cool monster model without needing to buy a whole army to support it.

15. BEEGfrog
    Razordon

BEEGfrog Member

For me it has benefitted Staetdler instead of GW, I have bought several packs of Fimo and scratch built two Hell pit abominations and a coatl (not sure if SoM has rules for a coatl, but I am a LM player and I wanted the coatl). In progress are a great unclean one and a batch of Tzeench screamers, next to be started is a hydra or two...

16. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

That's cool. How about some progress pictures?

17. Skink Brave Itxy
    Saurus

Skink Brave Itxy New Member

I want a Coatl too, I hope we do end up getting rules for them (45+ something monsters, it's not as if they couldn't have squeezed it in).

Otherwise I'll just focus on the magic end, and make my opponents weep as I hammer them with 2 Slann!

18. Lord QuXoatl
    Jungle Swarm

Lord QuXoatl New Member

Well, every mage knows the 3 basic spells:
    - Magic Duell [2D6 + Leadership +1 for the mage with the higher level. If the caster wins, the other has to leave the focus.] 3+
    - Transagars Teleportation [Movey your mage to an unoccupied focus.] 3+
    - Break Binding [Atemp to break the binding of a monster. If successful casted, one has to roll a D6: 1: no effect, 2: monster gains fury (not sure if it is that in English), 3: monster suffers from now on stupid, 4: monster can not use generals leadership value and the BSB, 5: monster decides it is time to go..., 6: gains fury, hatre, unbreakable, random movement, it will move to the closest unit (eneme OR friend), if it gets in contact, it counts as attacking ] 3+
    So on 5 & 6 an Emperor Dragon (can be up to level 4 wizard [Lores: Fire, Death, Light, Life, Sky]) can be gone for nothing...

19. forlustria
    Ripperdactil

forlustria Well-Known Member

Got the book yesterday just got a quick question. I was wondering if a wizard fails to meet the casting value can he no longer cast as in the main warhammer rules? the book makes no mention. Just with all these high casting values and no irrisistible force of catacylismic spells theres gonna be alot of usless wizards. Yes i know there is gonna be 4d6 power dice but it doesnt say you can throw more then 6 dice at a spell.

20. strewart
    OldBlood

If they didn't say anything, I don't see why it would be any different.. Does seem a bit weird, and unlikely to cast the big spells if you can only use 6 PD. There must be something to make it a bit easier, don't the wizard towers make it easier to cast or something?