1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Storm of Magic rumors

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Discussion' started by Gator, Jun 12, 2011.

1. forlustria
    Ripperdactil

forlustria Well-Known Member

not sure will have to check. I suppose if the lore is acended you get a bonus to casting but wheather thats enogh remains to be seen.

If anyone else has the book and im missing something please share.

2. Lord QuXoatl
    Jungle Swarm

Lord QuXoatl New Member

Yes, the normal rules still apply. So better not try and use just one power die and cast the basic focus spells.

3. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Wonder if this is a formmat where Lord Kroad might be worth while,
    I believe he doesn't have a cap on his power dice, also he will be able
    to use the cataclism spells as well a his own uber spell.

4. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

True, but if he gets an Irresistible Force spell off, the spell itself fails. Per the Faq.

5. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Ahh but with cataclism spell double 6's just cause a miscast and don't cause irrestible...
    failling to cast seems like a better option.

6. Arli
    Skink Priest

I did not know that. Is there any roll that would cause an IF in Storms of Magic?

7. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

The normal spells are as usual but thte huge cataclism spells are different.
    Defenately hard to cast with no irrestible, probaly to cut down on power scroll abuse.

8. SanDiegoSurrealist
    Ripperdactil

SanDiegoSurrealist New Member

Just glanced at the book briefly yesterday at my local, but it is my understanding that when you spin the spinner in the back of the book there are modifiers applied to the casting value for a random lore. So if I understood it correctly a player can get up to +9 (maybe higher) on every casting attempt for that lore for that turn!

Felt the book looked great but the spinner dumb, IMHO Spinner could have been better executed with a color coded d8 and a d3.

9. forlustria
    Ripperdactil

ok so no IF on cataclyismic spells and miscast on 2 or more 6s. If you miscast is the spell not cast

eg. a spell that is 20+ to cast i roll 6 dice and get 6,6,1,4,2,3 total 20 but miscast so is this not cast

10. Arli
    Skink Priest

I saw a post on anothe board about a Fey Enchantress that had a +14 to a casting attempt!

11. Skink Brave Itxy
    Saurus

Skink Brave Itxy New Member

That really kinda sucks.

12. Lord QuXoatl
    Jungle Swarm

Lord QuXoatl New Member

It is correct, you can never get IF for Cataclysm spells. But as soon as two dice show a 6, you will have to roll on the normal loss of controll chart AND also on the loss of controll chart of "Stormof Magic". So when ever you reach the spell value, the spell goes off.

13. forlustria
    Ripperdactil

so if the casting value is met it goes off but 2 or more 6s means a roll on both miscast tables but the spell still goes off.

14. Skink Brave Itxy
    Saurus

I knew two-6's = fail couldn't be right.

15. SanDiegoSurrealist
    Ripperdactil

Thumbed the book again yesterday and I noticed that any wizard who controls a fulcrum can unbind his opponents summoned monsters on a 3+.

Player 1: “Check it out I summoned my cool $60 model that I spent 10 hours last night painting!”

Player 2: “I cast the cantrip "Unbind" and roll a 3. You can pick that up now; it is gone.”

Player 1: “@#$%&!”

OR

Player 1: “Check it out I summoned my cool $60 model that I spent 10 hours last night painting!”

Player 2: “I cast the cantrip "Unbind" and roll a 6. Your now unbound Blood Thirster goes crazy and attacks your own units.”

Player 1: “@#$%&!”

16. Shaslain
    Saurus

Shaslain New Member

I have not yet looked at the SoM book yet, but do you have to use the summoning scrolls or can you just use the special lores and your own monsters from your own book to play the game?

17. SanDiegoSurrealist
    Ripperdactil

Yes, you create your list as normal but on top of that you get extra points to buy bound monsters (1/4 of the total value of the army).

Example: In a 2200 point game you could summon up to 550 points of monsters above and beyond the 2200 points, so the game is now potentially 2750 points.

But you can summon an additional Ancient Steg out of the SoM book for something like 200 points, but you just get the Steg no riders, Blowpipes, etc.

18. Skink Brave Itxy
    Saurus

And the less dice they use to cast it, the less dice you need to dispell it.

19. SanDiegoSurrealist
    Ripperdactil

I don’t own the book but I read a little more of the store copy whenever I go in to my Local but here is a little more I gleaned yesterday.

Yes double sixes still cast with irresistible force. Not sure where the rumor started that there was not more total powering spells. Casting roll with 2 6s works just like normal.

The nasty thing is if you roll 2 6s and you are on top of a Fulcrum you have to roll on BOTH the regular miscast table and the one from the Storm of Magic book, which is super-mega-uber-nasty!

What I don’t know is if you can cupped hands away the miscast from the SoM book at the same time as the regular miscast, and if you ignore the miscast of the SoM on a 2+ if you have Throne of Vines up.

20. SanDiegoSurrealist
    Ripperdactil

One more thing:

Just read this on another forum:

Tzeetch Wizard using 3rd Eye could cast racial Cataclysm Spells like the Great Leveler against us.