1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog StormyPete's Lizardmen Painting Log

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by StormyPete, Jul 17, 2014.

1. Dyvim Tvar
    Razordon

Dyvim Tvar New Member

Yellow on the Saurus looks really good now.

Great job.

2. Old Mossy
    Bastiladon

Old Mossy Active Member

The way you've done the yellow crests so vibrant and naturally, and how beautiful your jade is on the staff... wow, you're talented, and I want to see more.

3. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Ok I wnt back and loooked at the first version on the saurus, and yea, the wider yellow stripe looks a lot better.
    Oddly enough, I think you might have been the first around here to try out a pattern like that too. :)

4. Jashyr
    Skink

Jashyr New Member

The staff really is beautiful. Have you decided whether you're going to do the unit standards in the jade too?

5. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

Great work! +1 to the compliments about the color scheme, shading and the staff.

I'd also like to add that I like the shading and color of your spear pointethos and I believe I may have to steal your basing method. It's got the combination of being realism and simplicity that I've been looking for.

6. StormyPete
    Skink

StormyPete New Member

Thanks guys, glad to hear you like the scheme. I'm currently starting to paint the Temple Guard standard in the jade style so see how it goes. My Saurus standard is currently base-coated for gold but I may change it if the Temple Guard standard works. My plan is to try and stick a bit of jade on all of my characters as well.

-n810, yeah it's funny how big of a difference it makes, and it such a small adjustment. Thanks, Dyvim Tvar for suggesting it!

I figured Lizardmen wouldn't have iron or steel and (similar to Aztecs/Mayans/Incans) would use gold and jade/turquoise for their "metal" needs. So... I can't paint the spear points or javelin tips grey metal, instead they're made of stone. The book describes it as a glossy jet black and I'm not convinced on putting a gloss varnish on it. I may do a test figure to see what it looks like.

7. NexS1
    Carnasaur

NexS1 Well-Known Member

My answer is that I paint it like polished marble. Grey with off-white flecks, then gloss varnish the CRAP out of it.