1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog Suds Painting 2019: End of the Year Closing. Thanks Everyone for the support and great community!

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by Sudsinabucket, Jul 4, 2019.

1. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Sudsinabucket Well-Known Member

Finally after some liquid green stuff settled and a few nice days of weather I was able to prime all the platforms! Just primed the model as a whole just looks so much better and natural. There is still much to do like eventually add her neck and tail armor but I'm really loving how she's coming together. I may paint small designs on the exposed wood?

The one thing I wish was different? Would like the side platforms to be less wide than the center but thats a minor thing.

Need to decide how and where the gold chains are going that I have and then...paint paint paint.

Woo!

What do you all think?

Dont forget to let me know your thoughts on the base size also! :) 20191125_194810.jpg 20191125_194825.jpg 20191125_194308.jpg

Nazqua and Imrahil like this.
  2. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

The 16" x 8" (406mm x 203mm) base and a Carnosaur/Troglodon base for comparison

I am debating on 6 different sized bases for my Thunderlizard, and how I am trying to decide that is based on 2 primary conditions while keeping her own 14" (355mm) length in mind:

1. Playability - I want to be able to use this in a game, which base is the most balanced for her size? What are the pros vs cons in your eyes when it comes to circular vs oval.

2. Makin it look pretty - Id love to make it into an awesome diorama as my Thunderlizard will be my center piece. Again however this needs to be balanced with playability and being able to fit on the board.

3. My Thunderlizard feet are hallow, so I am also fiddling with the idea of 2 bases: 1 for a diorama and show piece and 1 for gameplay

Id love your opinions on this, thanks!

3 circular and 4 oval -

Circular:

9.5" x 9.5" (241mm x 241mm)

Or

10.5" x 10.5" (266mm x 266mm)

Or

12" x 12" (305mm x 305mm)

Oval:

11" x 8" (280mm x 203mm, Dread Saurian base)

Or

12" x 8" (304mm x 203mm)

Or

14" x 8" (355mm x 203mm)

Or

16" x 8" (406mm x 203mm)

20191126_032653.jpg 20191126_032807.jpg 20191126_032843.jpg

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
    Nazqua, childishknight and Imrahil like this.
  3. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

Nice progress on this model

I prefer the largest base, just because there is more space to make the base shine as well ;)
    Make it into a small diorama

Keep up the great work.

Gr, Imrahil

4. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

I may end up magnitizing her since her feet are hallow and making 2 bases.

Which base do you feel would be best but also most balanced for game play?

Imrahil likes this.
  5. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Edited the post above and gave all the options for sizes

6. Imrahil
    Slann

Somehow a round base seems odd for a large oblong creature
    So I'd say the smallest oval would be my pick for battles.

Gr, Imrahil

7. childishknight
    Chameleon Skink

childishknight Well-Known Member

I concur

Nazqua and Sudsinabucket like this.
  8. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Thanks for the feedback! Im def gonna go with the largest and make it into a large diorama piece which will be apart of another larger diorama. Im thinkin Waterfall somewhere...

So would you say smallest oval being a dread saurian sized or slightly bigger at 305mm ?

9. childishknight
    Chameleon Skink

I'd say slightly bigger

10. Imrahil
    Slann

I concur ;)

Gr, Imrahil

Nazqua and childishknight like this.
  11. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Slightly bigger at 305mm x 203mm it is then and the 406mm x 203mm for a diorama base

Thanks yall!

Nazqua and childishknight like this.
  12. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Progress

For the bottom designs I am thinking purple for the outter cresants of the moon shape with skink blue type blue for the smaller and larger circle/cresant and then wild rider red for the small circles

The two small snakes im doing as coral snakes, may do the small snakes all different species on each platform. If I do that thinking one platforms diamond backs or the rattler native to my state and the third platform not sure.

Need to touch up the yellow on the snakes for sure

C & C welcome! :) WIP 20191129_231201.jpg

13. childishknight
    Chameleon Skink

Since those circles look like a sun on top and moon on bottom, you could paint the sun portion with warm colors (reds, oranges, and yellows) and the moon portion with cool colors (blues, dark greens, purples). It would give a nice contrast to the platforms to break up the patterns and fit with a theme. If you go with that idea, I would suggest repainting the big snakes on top to a warm color. The orange color you have would contrast really nicely with the blue snakes on bottom ;)

14. childishknight
    Chameleon Skink

Also, I don’t totally love the yellow. I think a slightly darker yellow would blend with the red a bit better but I’m just nitpicking at this point. :artist: Keep up the good work!

15. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

The yellow tones down a bit with the nuln oil wash, the big platform still needs the nuln oil but I have been fiddling with the idea of using some casandora yellow to give it a bit more of an orange/yellow look. Do you not like the yellow on the half portion either? I like the yeklow much more once its toned down personally but i have been thinking a yeklow-orange may be better.

Screenshot_20191130-092917_Gallery.jpg When talking about this design, are you suggesting doing all of this in moon type colors? Cause that was something I was considering and love the idea, or did you mean something else?

Thanks for all the input!

Imrahil, Aginor and Nazqua like this.
  16. childishknight
    Chameleon Skink

I like the idea of a more yellow-orange color to the sun beams but the oil wash should work fine. And yes, those “moon” circles are what I was talking about painting with cool colors

here is a quick reference sheet for color theory :

18DDFE78-19E8-47AA-A8E7-83E8B89DF580.jpeg
    the moon is mostly grey/silver so using cool colors would be more dynamic then just grey

Aginor, Nazqua and Sudsinabucket like this.
  17. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Thanks so much! Gonna take it to my local shop soon to get some face to face C&C but I like what youre saying, Inwas already thinking purple so that works towards what I was already planning.

Color wheel is clutch...i should really get one lol

childishknight and Nazqua like this.
  18. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

With the Thunderlizard coming around nicely and with *Mostly* everything primed and beginning to be painted I am now thinking briefly forward to the base and diorama that I am planning the game play base to fit into.

What I am picturing is a 22" x 22" or 24 " x 24" diorama taking place in Ghur. My vision is to have the landscape a mixture of the Serengeti and Grand Canyon. Red Rock Mountains/Hills towering over red sanded grassland, as if the ground itself has been stained with blood over millennia. I am planning to do a waterfall also, just have to decide how big I want them or if I want them to be more like theTahquamenon falls up near me which are less high but have multiple lower levels.

What do you all think for my idea of a Ghur inspired base/diorama?
    Serengeti-Landscape-2012.JPG Screenshot_20191203-091126_Google.jpg 20191203_001240.jpg maxresdefault.jpg

Nazqua, Imrahil and ravagekitteh like this.
  19. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Decided to work on my Salamander that I havnt touched in awhile. Dry brushed some Kindlerflame, Wild Rider Red and Phhalanx Yellow. After that shaded with casandora Yellow (x2) all over and Fuegan Orange on the tail
    C&C welcome! :) WIP
    20191203_153353.jpg 20191203_203207.jpg 20191203_213819.jpg 20191203_214007.jpg

20. Sudsinabucket
    Skar-Veteran

Started to fill in the Moons on the bottom with contrast and normal paints, also started dyeing the outer 20191204_023716.jpg yellow more orange for a more realistic sun ray

Aginor, Imrahil and Nazqua like this.