1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

9th Age [T9A] Names compiled| New army name = Saurian Ancients

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Discussion' started by Pinktaco, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Qupakoco
    Skink Chief

Qupakoco Keeper of the Dice Staff Member

Lots of picking and choosing in these lists. @Pinktaco, what are the voting results looking like on the T9A forum?

2. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Pinktaco Vessel of the Old Ones Staff Member

These are from post places :p

3. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Those are pretty good. They feel intuitive and easy to remember. The only one I'm not a fan of is "Troglodon: Stygiosaur"

4. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Det names have been deliveret to the Army Book Committee, however the background team have been given permission to come up with their own names.. so.. yeah :p

5. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

I think they should change only the ones they have to.

6. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

That's what I think as well. Only the names that can be considered as GW's IP should be changed.

7. Trociu
    Chameleon Skink

Trociu Active Member

When we change names of almost everything, it doesn't matter if we leave those two or three as their are. In fact I'm more keen to change skinks into something else because it would further differentiate 9th from 8th and this is the thing that we still have to do because of IP.

But I have to admit that I would leave Salamanders. Maybe that difference in my opinion comes from the fact that I did not know that skink is a word in English, maybe from fact that fire breathing lizards are always Salamanders or dragons.

8. pendrake
    Skink Priest

If it is a solitary word in English usually it is not / cannot be trademarked.

Apart from the IP concerns, differentiation seems like it adds nothing but confusion? Why exactly is it good?

New suggestions:

Saurus = Great Lizards
    Skinks = Tree Lizards

9. pendrake
    Skink Priest

Thumbs up to that.

10. Trociu
    Chameleon Skink

Trociu Active Member

Now we are making new game. Our base is fluff from WFB, miniatures from WFB and rules. But we are changing fluff, we are not connected in any way with GW miniatures, and we make new set of rules. This won't be WFB and it should be clear to everyone, and the first thing people will see will be names. I think people in 9th age staff have enough restrictions to meet our demands, let them have free hand at least at naming things. :)

11. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

New army name = Saurian Ancients

12. The Red Devil
    Stegadon

The Red Devil Defender of Hexoatl Staff Member

Should it not be: Ancient Saurian / Ancient Saurians for it to be correct grammar wise?

13. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

That's an interesting question. Most of my English skills are self-thought so I wouldn't know :p

14. hardyworld
    Kroxigor

hardyworld Active Member

I don't plan to follow the group-think project "The 9th Age", but surely a better name could have been agreed upon by the committee. Generally, I would hope the committee isn't afraid to overrule popular vote results from the population (on more important items anyway). The 'ancient' part just seems like a poor fit for the name, but that's just my opinion (I'm aware that it has no value). The overall 'race' name can simply be 'Saurian', with the army/nation name being something entirely different. We don't call The Empire "The Empire of Men", but somehow GW attached species's name to the army name (nation's name?) for most non-human kingdoms, which is truly unfair, the kingdom's name should take all precedence. You don't have to follow the same poor choice GW made, you can make up whatever you want! Saurian=Lizardmen (race), Primaeval Realm=Lustria (geographical location), Xalutl= Lizardmen (Nation's name), etc.

15. Mr Phat
    Skink Chief

Mr Phat 9th Age Army Support

Pick of taste Hardy. I like the new name.

Grammar wise Saurian Ancients is correct. You can swap the words as red devil suggests but it means the same more or less.

Saurian ancients = "lizard-like old ones"
    Ancient saurians = "old lizard-ones"

The name is for the race in international tongue, not the race's own self-description.

Gogery likes this.
  16. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

The committee don't have anything to do with fluff and names, that's strictly the background team. :)