1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The April Poetry Contest has opened for voting! For more information, click here.
    Dismiss Notice

8th Ed. Temple Guard; Lots or Little?

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Tactics' started by Acorn Lord, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Acorn Lord
    Saurus

Acorn Lord Member

I have trouble deciding how big to make my TG bunker. I run them two ways, either a horde or 6 in front.
    With the horde i usually go 40-60. i feel that i get a lot more attacks and can do more in combat but its so expensive.
    with the 6 frontage i usually go with 30. The 6 front is much cheaper but i feel i dont get enough attacks in combat.
    Ive seen people do bunkers with just 16-20 TG and keep them out of combat but i feel this is a waste of points.
    *Note: I am not worried about miscasts. Dice are dice.

dwarfepic likes this.
  2. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

I would consider 20 the minimum for a small defensive slann unit, possibly with a cheap scar-vet.
    For an independent offensive unit 40 - 60, I would also run a horde if Kroak is in the unit.
    also consider throwing in a Saurus character into on offensive unit.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2016
    Acorn Lord likes this.
  3. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

I prefer my temple guard bunker to come in at around 26 models (6 wide, giving me 5 ranks with the inclusion of the Slann). I am willing to shift this number slightly depending on how the rest of my army is shaping up though.

Personally the only time I would consider running a horde would be with the inclusion of Lord Kroak. Kroak really makes the temple guard shine due to unbreakble, -1 to hit and miscast protection.

4. Acorn Lord
    Saurus

Acorn Lord Member

Thanks for the input! I've never used Lord Kroak so maybe I'll try him out

5. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Definitely give him a go... he is arguably our second best special character game-wise. Kroak + Temple Guard makes for a very potent unit.

6. Gary_M
    Temple Guard

Gary_M Active Member

Who is the best special character?

7. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

I'm going to guess Teko'eko since he was in a lot of 8th edition list.
    but Gor-Rok was pretty good as well.

8. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Yup... Tetto'eko is easily our best special character. He brings so much to the table and costs very little points-wise; an extremely good value. Gor-Rok is pretty solid, but there are custom Scar-Vet builds that I prefer over him.

Personally, Tetto'eko, Kroak & Gor-Rok are the only special characters I would ever consider taking in a list.

9. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Pinktaco Vessel of the Old Ones Staff Member

Tett'eko hands down. That guy + a Slann with wandering deliberation was fun times :)