1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

9th Age The 9th Age - Help needed for background/fluff

Discussion in 'Fluff and Stories' started by Pinktaco, Sep 22, 2015.

1. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Pinktaco Vessel of the Old Ones Staff Member

As the 9th Age moves towards version 1.0, we are looking for volunteers to help us create background and art to go along with our rules. This will help illustrate the units and abilities the rules are intended to represent, and we hope provide the basis for a living setting for future gaming in the 9th Age.

The people we need most are artists and graphic designers. If you are qualified in either of these fields (or both!) and feel you could spare the time to contribute to the 9th Age project, please get in touch!

We also need writers to help us write the background for the 9th Age. If you have a knack for descriptive text, witty dialogue, or world-building, we can use you as part of the background team.

Artists, designers and writers for the 9th Age will need to be able to:
    • Work under editorial direction and as part of a team. We are trying to create a "house style" for 9th Age publications, so you will need to be willing to fit your own style into the general theme.
    • Work on all corners of the setting. We will try to fit people to those parts of the background they are most passionate about, but in the end we need to produce an equal amount of material for all factions.
    • Deliver to a deadline. We have a lot of books to write and illustrate in a short time!
    • Writers only: be concise. We regard background in the 9th Age as a way to enhance the rules, not separate from them. The background must not get in the way of the rules themselves and as such we don't have a place for 1,000 page documents!
    • Writers should also be comfortable writing in the first person.
    If you would be interested in shaping the background and aesthetics of the 9th age, please get in touch with the head of the background & art team, Pip Hamilton (forum profile: the-ninth-age.com/index.php?user/364-pip-hamilton/; email:piphamilton@gmail.com) and concerning Art directly contact Thorsen (forum profile: the-ninth-age.com/index.php?user/238-thorsen/; email: gothamcity77@libero.it) with some details about yourself and a sample of your work. Applications will remain open until a team of sufficient size has been assembled.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  2. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CaptainErsatz
    :)

So we could have a city state called Klodorex with a lot of doomed heroes?

What can and can't we use from oldhammer Lizardmen fluff. Mazdamundi is probably intellectual property of GW. Lizardmen is not IP of GW, that's why they renamed our people Seraphon, but what about the words "Saurus" and "Skinks," they both refer to other things which can't really be copyrighted (as far as I know). Chaos with a capital C can't be copyrighted since the Ancient Egyptians kind of came up with that thousands of years ago. A list of what we can and can't use would be helpful for fluff writing. Spawning pool mechanics would be especially helpful to pin down.

While not applicable to what 9th Age is doing, I have created a fantasy world from scratch. I'd be happy to do so again. I'd prefer not to reinvent the wheel where I didn't have to. I think we could easily adapt many of our fine Lizardmen fluff pieces to take out the copyright infringement and repost them as official 9th Age fluff pieces.

If we go back to square one, I suggest a top down approach of deities. I can make it more flowery with editing. Two sets of deities, one good, one bad. Or one Chaos one Order. They existed in two opposing realms with a lot of nothing in between. The two sides entered the nothing to fight, but their interactions created something out of nothing. A world where neither Chaos nor Order had total sway. Eventually life emerged by accident, but then it was later encouraged by the great gods. As the world began to evolve on it's own, the gods of order and their immediate minions (Daemons plus whatever we want to stand in as Order) could not directly manifest their will on the world for long periods of time. From the interactions of Chaos and Order and the hopes and fears of the emerging mortals came new gods. These new gods combined aspects of Order and Chaos in their essence. Some leaned heavily towards Chaos (the Orc and Ratmen gods). Others leaned heavily towards Order (the chivalrous Human gods). Some straddled the fence (the Dark Elf gods).

That gives us a free palate to come up with new understandable Orc and Goblin gods that are definitely not Gork and Mork, but still are recognizable enough as the spiritual patrons of the violent comic relief race we all know and love.

Crowsfoot and Trociu like this.
  3. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

I think it would be absolutely perfect if you became a member of the fluff team on T9A. You have a good understanding on the fluff and with creating something new.

I'll figure something out concerning what we can and can't use. :)

4. The Sauric Ace
    Salamander

The Sauric Ace Well-Known Member

I would love to see you (@Scalenex ) join the fluff department of the 9th Age. I always feel you have some deep and well rounded concepts when it comes to writing :D

5. Scalenex
    Slann

Okay, I guess I'll go see if they want to let me into their team. The backing of Pinktaco and L-O has got to count for something...

Pinktaco and The Sauric Ace like this.
  6. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Sounds great :) Looking forward to hear the result.

7. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

@Scalenex did you hear anything from them yet? I can see they've added some background staff members.

8. Scalenex
    Slann

Alas, my writing style was deemed to not match what they were looking for.

9. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Eh.. Okay, :(

10. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

spawning of Bob Well-Known Member

I just found this thread. Good on you Scalenex for putting your head above the parapet - you know I value your stuff too. Ilike the freedom of the creation mechanic you suggested.

Did they give any feedback about what they were after?. (I'm not planning on contacting them, but if they did say they wanted a more comical, eggshell-wearing style, i could be persuaded to give them a few pointers)

The Sauric Ace likes this.
  11. The Sauric Ace
    Salamander

If it was me I'll defiantly be looking for something along those lines ;)

12. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

spawning of Bob Well-Known Member

Shush, Ace. They definitely won't want chicken feathers on all of their artwok.

13. The Sauric Ace
    Salamander

What, they don't o_O and here I was preparing to roll my models in tar and feathers, wouldn't I look stupid then.... :writing: