1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The looming excitement that might be TW warhammer II

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by The Sauric Ace, Mar 9, 2017.

1. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

in 8th skink skirmishers were absolute killers. I don't know if the game does them justice...

2. Paradoxical Pacifism
    Skink Chief

Paradoxical Pacifism Well-Known Member

no.

they're a very good utility unit, and they definitely can counter some units, but they are not killers

3. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Meh, even their utility is underwhelming. They're squishy enough that you'l constantly need to keep an eye on em to Ensure they don't get slaughtered. And since they use blowpipes you can't even put em in your relativly save backline as they'l shoot your own stuff in the back. Imho the only skink unit that works in TW is the cohort with javalins. It's capable enough in melee to not immeadiatly be routed (especially with some technologies or a capable general) and it's the only skink unit who can fire over your own lines. Plus, since they're halfway capable in melee and fairly fast they can usually run down an opposing ranged unit that outshoots em. But even then, once you're past the early game you basicly drop em from all your armies.

Paradoxical Pacifism likes this.
  4. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

A free lizardmen lord lord Tiktaq'to (which I know realise is a massivly bad pun…) is going to join us as well.

Cristhian MLR and Aginor like this.
  5. Killer Angel
    Slann

A pity. They were used to dance around the enemy's units, staying out of the frontal arc so they cannot be charged and in the meantime shooting with poisonous attacks. The quintessential harassing unit, able to take down even some monster

Warden likes this.
  6. Killer Angel
    Slann

YES!
    The Master of the Skies!
    The greatest terradons rider ever.

7. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Hmpf. Now I cannot decide between the Prophet and him.

8. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

They still work that way. It just requires an obscene amount of micromanaging to pull that off in a TW game. In a 1v1 situation it's doable, but while commanding an entire army in real time it gets rather iffy. It's one of the aspects where they tried to stay true to the tabletop but that doesn't necesarly work well in a TW game. .

Why not both? :p

9. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

I think they can still be used in a similar capacity. They are a redirecting/harassing unit by nature. While they have a hard time taking down big scary monsters unless they have a huge amount of micromanagement, they are fantastic at causing mayhem. The skinks are so cheap compared to almost anything they go up against.

I love placing my skirmishes (vanguard deployment) right on the flanks of the enemy deployment zone. Once the battle start they immediately draw the enemy armies' attention, whether that is charges from their archer-cav, bowmen, or other skirmishers, and almost always cause the enemy's battle plans to start to stretch out (and misdirect almost ALL of the enemy's ranged fire). This let's the rest of my army start marching towards the enemy lines without taking any casualties. By the time the mighty saurus make it to the enemy lines, portions of the enemy army are already out of position, and I have an easier time picking my own targets.

That being said, I always try to keep two terradon units ready to dive in and occupy enemy artillery, and some long-range fire support in terms of two solar bastiladons.

However the way I use my skinks in total war 2 reminds me exactly of what I used them for back in 6th edition: run them ahead of my army's units, cause mayhem and distractions, and allow my saurus and assorted beasties to move in and pick better targets.

10. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

I find that usually results in a dead unit of skinks and now you have to fight the actual battle outnumbered. And since the AI already tends to be running around with multiple doomstacks it's not like the battle was even to begin with. Also, the AI rarely sends more than 1 unit at em in my experience as that's already plenty.

It does work reasonably well when you have them in a garrison army though.especially since you're defending already anyway so the potential loss of numbers is less important.

Warden likes this.
  11. Cristhian MLR
    Troglodon

Cristhian MLR Well-Known Member

Warden and Captaniser like this.
  12. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

So does that mean that Kroak will be a playable character?

Captaniser likes this.
  13. Killer Angel
    Slann

That would be Amazing!

14. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Fingers crossed. I'd be a little bit disappointed if he didn't make it into the game as a playable character. He is my favourite Lizardmen named special character from a fluff perspective.

Captaniser likes this.
  15. Captaniser
    Carnasaur

Captaniser Well-Known Member

Kroak will be a legendary hero, so he won't be able to lead armies but he can be a part of one. You can control him and use his abilities, which are quite strong. Deliverance of Itza does massive aoe damage and it not hurt your own troops. Also when he attacks in melee his spirit comes out of his body and does the attack.

To unlock Kroak you need to perform certain tasks and fight a last stand battle against the Skaven until Kroak shows up and blast them away.

Warden and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  16. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

Wasn't he gonna work similarly to the green knight?

17. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

I take it that means he will also be available for use in multiplayer? (sorry, I've yet to actually play the game myself)

18. Captaniser
    Carnasaur

yes, all units, even the unique ones such as the green knight, are available in the multiplayer.

19. Captaniser
    Carnasaur

I know it isn't Total War Warhammer, but i feel this does have some importance as well.

upload_2019-4-11_19-47-44.png

Focus Home interactive has shown off 3 new warhammer licensed games they will be publishing. There is no info on the games as of now besides the headlining words.

The one that facinates me the most is the AoS game, since it will be the first proper game that isn't mobile the AoS universe gets. Another reason that game intrigues me is because the developers, Gasket games, has a lot of previous Relic Entertainment developers working there, and they are the guys that made the Dawn of war games (besides number 3) and company of heroes, they are even well versed in working with GW.

Warden and Paradoxical Pacifism like this.
  20. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

I could see a DOW-style AOS game. Having a big campaign map like total war would not make much sense.

Then again, I still don't know what the AOS campaign map would look like, but they could get creative. Maybe one that looks like the Norse realms from their mythology? Or something really crazy?