1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS The new Battletome: A Discussion

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by sigmonstar, Mar 2, 2020.

?

Are you optimistic about our new battletome?

1. Yes

160 vote(s)
    76.2%
  2. No

20 vote(s)
    9.5%
  3. Undecided

30 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. Nart
    Carnasaur

Nart Well-Known Member

Well, I thought that discussion ended with that only MW, generated by attacks, are reduced. And there is not much stuff, that generates more then one mortal wound with their attacks. Hearthguard, Drill Cannons, Terrorgheists, different artefacts... cannot recall much out of my head. Not a tremendous loss, IMO.

That's how it was already. They just changed it to the start of the hero phase.

Once again, that's how we already thought it was. GW wouldn't allow us to summon a Stegadon every turn.

But I'm supprised with ripper chief. Really, why?

Killer Angel likes this.
  2. Alladin the Paladin
    Chameleon Skink

Alladin the Paladin Well-Known Member

Bummed about the realmshaper engine.

The fact that other armies can walk into our terrain piece is really messed up

Ecozh, Dread Saurian and Imrahil like this.
  3. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

ah yes

Imrahil and Nart like this.
  4. Batch
    Cold One

Batch Active Member

It seems extremely intentional that they just happen to leave this one out. Its slimy and scummy of them

Ecozh and Imrahil like this.
  5. Alladin the Paladin
    Chameleon Skink

It’s the same reason they made Salamanders so good that (previously good) Razordons, even though not nerfed, just look bad in comparison. You bought 3-6 $35 dollar models? Sure buy another 3-6 now.

Capitalism has its downsides sometimes.. haha

Nart and Imrahil like this.
  6. Nart
    Carnasaur

Nart Well-Known Member

On the other side, isn't it normal to have every unit of your army in some quantity?

Canas likes this.
  7. Alladin the Paladin
    Chameleon Skink

I guess if you only collect one or two armies, but I have wandering eyes and an addiction to feed... :eek:

Imrahil likes this.
  8. Imrahil
    Slann

Imrahil Thirtheenth Spawning

Ain't gonna happen to me, that's why I intent to build mine with magnets much like the tutorial from a while ago.

(Just in Case they change it back in a few years ;) )

Grrr, Imrahil

9. Alladin the Paladin
    Chameleon Skink

I saw that. Seems like a lot of work, even for me who is obsessive compulsive about these things...

Imrahil likes this.
  10. LordBaconBane
    Ripperdactil

LordBaconBane Well-Known Member

Regarding the Ripper Chief nerf, this is less of a nerf to me and more that GW forgot to include a single sentence. If you look at lot our command traits, Wrath of the Seraphon, Scent of Weakness, Prime Guardian, Saurian Savagery, Herald of the Old Ones, all of them have "The same unit cannot benefit from this command ability more than once per phase"

Oddly enough, the Terradon Chief doesn't have it, so.. I dunno. Maybe they intended to have it in the first place.

Imrahil likes this.
  11. Jason839
    Salamander

Jason839 Well-Known Member

You only get to drop rocks 1 time a game, so the terradon chief doesnt really need to have that phrase.

Imrahil and LordBaconBane like this.
  12. LordBaconBane
    Ripperdactil

I didn't think of that, thank you.

So in my opinion, GW always meant to have that phrase but just.. missed it. It sucks, the command trait could be a lot better (maybe add 2 or 3 jaw attacks, or make it explode on a successful hit instead of 6?)

Imrahil likes this.
  13. Kilvakar
    Carnasaur

Kilvakar Well-Known Member

So, not as much of a nerf as it sounds like at first?

14. Dread Saurian
    Stegadon

Dread Saurian Well-Known Member

Where does it say scaly skin doesnt effect mortal wounds? Where does it say that? Also if your favorite unit got nerfed Get over it. Complaints fall on deaf ears mostly. Literally all people who are complaining and saying we got "worse" are terrible at playing it to begin with.
    Summoning? Ok cool turn 2 I'll drop skinks. Turn 3 I'll drop skinks again. I dont give one fuck about summoning because of who i am. Before i only used it to get unbreakable skinks to fuck people up with alongside myself. Now i drop skinks to die and be meat shields like how they are always anyways. Only thing that changed to help my psycho ass out is that they buffed me to high hell and back.
    Coalesed made them better plain and simple. The age of skinks and rippers are over.
    The time of koatls claw and my triple dread saurian build began last month
    Buckle up skinks get in my hauta. This'll be a wild ride that I guarentee you will have fun in if you actually want to enjoy battles

15. Erta Wanderer
    OldBlood

Erta Wanderer Well-Known Member

designers commentary left column second from the bottom
    shur it's not that we are sad that something we like is bad now or that all the models you have been colecting are now much worse it must be that we are bad at playing. that is terribly uncharitable of you
    but many people do care
    of coarse we will that doesn't mean that we can't be disappointed at what GW did

Nart likes this.
  16. Nart
    Carnasaur

Nart Well-Known Member

But how would you feel if GW's FAQ contained something like: "Woops, 35 wounds on Dread Saurian is a typo, he is actually 15 and he now cost 710 points". That's about what happened to rippers. Why wouldn't anyone upset if they have to leave their lovely painted favourite miniatures on shelves? Or when they take it, they know, that it is shooting themselves in the leg.

How is it connected? We've got a little worse - it is a fact. And how complaining affects skill? I didn't see statements like "now we are unplayable and I'm dropping the army". Just a bit of grumbling.

Canas, Ecozh and Erta Wanderer like this.
  17. LordBaconBane
    Ripperdactil

My only gripe with the Ripper Chief isn't necessarily that it was nerfed, but that it was GW missing a sentence in an otherwise standardized CA. When we look at all of our other CA's, pretty much all of them have "A unit cannot benefit from this ability more than once per phase". I think they wanted this to be there the whole time. I do think the RC could use a bit more bite in his CA though, maybe better exploding bites or 2 bites per unit? I dunno.

Canas and Just A Skink like this.
  18. Nart
    Carnasaur

Nart Well-Known Member

Anyway, that's exactly what made rippers work. That's why no one even thought about it being not intentional. And now they need both chief and stegadon chief or be in a large swarm to be kind of okay. The problem is that they do nothig special, that terradons cannot. They are a bit better in melee, but terradons still not that bad+shooting+stones. For example, Slann vs Kroak. Slann is worse, but still can take artefacts or warlord traits. Razordons vs Salamanders - superior range of Razordons can be useful, and they can be better against Etherial enemies with higher saves + overwatch ability. Rippers vs Terras - a bit of survivability and a couple more attacks, and that's it.

Lizerd likes this.
  19. Lambs and Lions
    Chameleon Skink

Lambs and Lions Well-Known Member

What is everyone's thoughts on a buffed up stegadon skink chief? You can give them big move bonuses, modifies to hit, extra attacks, etc. Cloak of feathers + hunters steed+ star stone staff/being swift is a 16"+ 3D6" attack range which averages out to 26" threat range. Prime warbeast and coordinated strike add 7 additional attacks. Herald of the old one makes everything hit on 2+, wound on 3+. You are -1 to hit. Only support unit needed is a skink priest. Seems like it might work.

Lizerd likes this.
  20. Alladin the Paladin
    Chameleon Skink

I think it’s fun, but it’s a very expensive hammer. Maybe not quite made of glass, but still durability would be an issue vs hard hitting units.

I would totally use it, but I play sub-competitive so that dictates a lot of my decisions. Rule of cool is always in play amongst the majority of my gaming friends.

Erta Wanderer and Lizerd like this.