1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The Shrine to Lost Armies

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Crowsfoot, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

And that was one of the reason why 8th wasn't so much friendly to us...

BrotherSutek likes this.
  2. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

upload_2018-3-25_10-11-30.png
    It just meant that most competitive lists avoided including Carnos, Stegs, Bastiladons and Troglodons... which is a shame.

3. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

That rule is actually absolute nonsense when it comes to bouncing cannonballs. I can see why this would occur for a template like a flame thrower or a dragon's breath because the flames would come into contact with both rider and mount, but a cannonball is just one object, it can't be everywhere at once like flames can. Bad show GW!

Good job I don't play competitively anyway because I have a Carno, Steg and Basti who would all come a cropper.

4. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

I couldn't agree more.

5. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Lord-Marcus Sixth Spawning

Agreed

6. Dragonfire
    Cold One

Dragonfire Well-Known Member

Tomb Kings forever! Same with Chaos Dwarves! :D

7. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Both great armies!

8. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

I agree too - there should be more Chaos Dwarf players around. I like the idea that rather than just being evil versions of the Dwarfs they also have different themes. Their historical theme is more Persian and Babylonian, compared to the regular Dwarfs being obviously based on Scandinavia. Furthermore, the Chaos Dwarfs embody the dark side of industrialisation, which in itself different to, say, the Warriors of Chaos, who focus more on just destroying things/magically messing them up/riddling them with disease/killing them in fits of ecstatic agony and seizing power, the Beastmen who just want to destroy anything that has some semblance of order and the Daemons of Chaos who have more or less the same aims as the Warriors but in a more Daemonic way.

Why didn't Chaos Dwarfs get much support? They're much more interesting than armies like the Empire and Vampire Counts. Right from the start their army book was only a White Dwarf exclusive rather than a mainstay book.
    At least Mantic seem to have full support for them as a KoW army, and stock all the main troops Chaos Dwarf players need, so that they only need to turn to Forge World to get the artillery pieces.

9. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Agreed on both

10. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

At least they got featured in this lovely book:

[​IMG]

Your point does stand though. GW never fully embraced them. And they are more interesting than Empire or VC.

11. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Kings of war did embrace them though!

12. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

It's not the same though!

13. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

But it is! You can use any fluff you want! Use the gw stuff

14. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

But the game is not the same. WFB > KoW

15. TheSkeptic
    Chameleon Skink

TheSkeptic Active Member

It is rather unfortunate that the Chaos Dwarfs didn't see more support, over time. I so love their overly elaborate hats, and their silly looking Lammasus. Seriously, those hats, they're like spiky, metal, many-layered cakes. I did always wonder what was up with their god, Hashut. Is he some minor Chaos God, or just something they made up? It was never made clear to me in any of the stuff I read. I'd assume him to be a real entity, because giant flaming bulls and Centaurs, but he never seemed to make an appearance at any point.

16. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Hashut is a minor Chaos God - the god of fire, greed, tyranny and darkness. Some think he's an Arch-Daemon and others think he is another being altogether who was spawned by the Great Catastrophe, but it is generally seen that he is another Chaos God.

But you can still use many of the Chaos Dwarf minis that Mantic supplies in games of fantasy. In 7th Ed for instance they still had a set of profiles of the Chaos Dwarfs dating from 4th Edition. Furthermore there is an unofficial Chaos Dwarfs 8th Ed book produced by one of the folks from Chaos Dwarfs Online - you can see it here:
    http://www.chaos-dwarfs.com/pdf/Chaos-Dwarfs_Thommy-H_8th.pdf
    Bearing in mind it isn't likely anyone will get a game of Fantasy at a GW store or event anymore, unofficial army books can be used more often in games (one perk of GW ditching Fantasy for AoS). I would just recommend doing a little playtesting just to make sure it's fair and then you'll be away - Mantic Chaos Dwarfs are more reminiscent to the GW prices in the old days of 7th-8th Fantasy, so it'll save your wallet a good deal of pain compared with Forge World. Besides, I imagine it's only the strictest wargames clubs that don't allow unofficial rules, and I imagine you could go somewhere else other than those strict clubs to play with Chaos Dwarfs.

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  17. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

That and there are other alternatives for CD minis. Such as mom miniaturas from Spain

18. Lord-Marcus
    Slann

Anyone remember the old Albion caster? I wish they had given him an army of elementals

19. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Nope. Picture?

20. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

The Truthsayer, you mean? I would have preferred it if they did a magical Celtic army alongside him. That would have been great - much better than the Empire.