1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blog The skink followers of a mad slann. Hojdars paint log + Silver Tower shenanigans!

Discussion in 'Personal Paint Logs' started by Hojdar, Sep 30, 2013.

1. Caprasauridae
    Stegadon

Caprasauridae Well-Known Member

Whoa, definitely selling yourself short here! The Bastiladon is one of the best I have ever seen! I love how the striking colours are in balance with the gentle light brown. All your other stuff is very nice too, love the snake shooting priest, but I just can't get the Bastiladon out of my mind...

Anyway, how did you paint the light reddish hue on the back of the skinks? With the Bloodletter Red Glaze? My skinks are also yellow, and I could use some red in the Priest or Chief models, to make them stand out more from the regular skinks...

2. Hojdar
    Cold One

Hojdar Active Member

Thank you and I'm glad you like them!

The light reddish hue is actually the casandora yellow shade from citadel. Although it says yellow, the colour is actually orange leaning towards red. The effect is that the yellow of the skink gets slightly enforced by the shade while also giving the deeper parts of the mini a darker shaded look. The back of the skinks gets an extra amount of shade to really darken it up and give a smoother transition from the yellow to the dark green scales.

Good luck with the skink n' chief!

3. Hojdar
    Cold One

Hojdar Active Member

It's time for an update! First off is my entry for the skinkathalon, the converted magical standard of path finding!

More details about it can be found in the skinkathalon thread. Go check it out if you haven't, there are some great skinks in there!

DSC_0005edit_zps3a37bd18.jpg

DSC_0022edit_zps16f710e5.jpg

I also managed to finish my first Kroxigor. I chose a red scheme on the krox to go with the red shields on my skinks. I also took some inspiration from the new Grymloq (the red carnosaur on the new carno/trog box).
    Finally I have managed to painted three skinks for my salamander but pics won't be up until the salamander itself is done :( .

DSC_2847_zpsfa0969a9.jpg

DSC_2845_zps87011861.jpg

DSC_2841_zps7aa3b390.jpg

Seraphage, Warden, n810 and 1 other person like this.
  4. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Kroxigors are looking good, oh and congrats on the win with your skink standard bearer. :smug:

5. Sandrockkai
    Skink

Sandrockkai Member

Keep up the good work, man. These look great!

6. reptile3607
    Skink

reptile3607 New Member

Loving your models, nice too see some bright colours on your bastildon, they're usually dark. That ripper is amazing, and the snake conversion works really well.

7. Hojdar
    Cold One

Hojdar Active Member

Thanks for the kind replies. I actually painted a salamander some weeks ago but I never got around to get it photographed and posted. I'm not that happy with it though. The painting didn't go too well imo and the quality of the mini (finecast) was not good.

Anyways I tried to go for a swampy aquatic green with some fiery details to keep it somewhat in line with the lore. Here it is!

DSC_0005_zps4b219d77.jpg

DSC_0007_zps488697de.jpg

My fiance also finished her first project. This is her terradon, although she made me paint the fire stuff. She has another one coming up once exams are done.

DSC_0013_zps16dab1fc.jpg

DSC_0015_zpse5f28301.jpg .

Now... The real reason that I haven't painted any more lizzies lately is that one of my friends new boyfriend is playing 40k with a group. Since I've never actually played 40k I thought I'd give it a go. So i started a Tau army and I am painting towards a 1k army goals. I am soon done, so I'll return for some more lizzies during the summer I think, maybe around the time the new ruleset is due if rumours are correct.

Anyways, here is a little teaser of what I've been doing in case you're interested.
    This is my Tau Fireblade D'argo, current general of my Peace Keeper strike force.

DSC_0086_zps229ab9ae.jpg

DSC_0081_zps3aa66d25.jpg

DSC_0080_zps7db6a2db.jpg

Warden, n810 and Jorgik like this.
  8. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Good looking Terradon, also nice job on the Tau Cape. :smug:

9. Hojdar
    Cold One

Hojdar Active Member

It's been a long time since I last made a post. I lost interest in my Lizards for a moment while I focused on my new Tau army which I've also used to actually play with. It been all fun and good but I recently started missing my Lizards :depressed:
    (The End Times and rumours of Mazdimundi might've had a part in this).

So I'm back with a new mini! This guy has been quite the experiment. I tried out a few new techniques and such to see if I can improve in any way. I wanted to do more with my bases and this is the result of my first attempt. What do you think, green or brown base? And more or less grassy stuff? I've been thinking about getting some aquarium plants for the bases aswell but haven't gotten around to it yet.

This is also my first real attempt at modelling and green stuff. His helmet and his javelin & arm is from the ripper box. Had to cut abit off his head to make the helmet fit and I'm happy with the results. I cut it at the elbow, changed the pose and added some greenstuff. The skinks from the ripper box are more beefy than regular skinks so I had to cut bits off his arm. While not the best result, I'm still pretty happy about it since I'm still a rookie in that department.

Finally, I decided on a new paint style for the red feathers aswell as giving him pupils. I'm not totally sure about the feathers but I'm very pleased with how the eyes turned out.

Here he is! My new Skink Brave / Skink Chief

DSC_0015crop_zpsc0915001.jpg

DSC_0020crop_zps1388cbe0.jpg

DSC_0026crop_zps5eb12e94.jpg

Also took a pic of him in a cohort. More skinks and krox to come in the future!

DSC_0033crop_zpsfbd41ac9.jpg

DSC_0074crop_zps353d2091.jpg

Dunno What I'll be doing next. I'll probably finish up my tau tank quickly and then move on to some skinks and krox. Might also just buy a troglodon or even ordering a Slann. These are the skinks followers of a mad Slann after all...

Time will tell!

Seraphage, Warden, n810 and 1 other person like this.
  10. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Yea, I agrees those irises look quite good, I was thinking if you made one feather orange, then the red one would stand out better. ;)

Ps. I think the dark green bases look better (more contrast with the yellow).

11. DanBot
    Ripperdactil

DanBot Member

The skrox unit all together looks really nice. Really good color choices. Bright fits the Lizardmen. And the krox still looks darker and crocodile like, but he still fits with the skinks. But why is that skink heroes base brown? Is that something you do for heroes or is he special? He is unique. That is special. Love his hat. Wish it stood out more. It's great. Did you make it? Also, great banner. Probably my favorite part.

12. Hojdar
    Cold One

Hojdar Active Member

Yeah that base was just an experiment and I agree with you n810 that the green bases fits better. I'll probably try a green base but still paint some mud/earth on that base brown. So nothing special for heroes or anything. His hat could've been bigger or had some feathers or something, but I didn't want to experient too much as the helm turned out quite nice as it is.

There is still two more unused helmets in the Terradon/ripper box so I might have some fun with them as well. Maybe another custom chief or priest!

The banner is also one of my favorite pieces of my army. I painted it for the previous painting contest. There's a post about it both in this thread and in the contest thread i believe.

Thanks for the kind words!

PS: Might try that orange feathery stuff. Seems legit.

13. Hojdar
    Cold One

Hojdar Active Member

I guess it's about time that I resurrect this paint blog!

I have been into alot of 40k for some time now, as that is what my friends are all about when it comes to miniatures. With the recent release of Warhammer Quest: Silver Tower I just couldn't help myself. Fantasy miniatures just looks so much better than Sci-fi in my opinion and the new AoS models look exceptionally good.

So this blog won't just be the good old Lizards as I wan't to finish the Silver Tower before starting any larger lizard projects. I've also decided to step up my painting with the new fantasy minatures, starting to practise non-metallic metal and other advanced techniques.

Here is what I have done so far with the Silver Tower! A couple of Blue Horrors and WIP Skaven Deathrunner and Knight Questor.
    31072016-IMG_9167.jpg 31072016-IMG_9168.jpg 31072016-IMG_9172.jpg 31072016-IMG_9171.jpg

14. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

Wow! You've done an amazing job on these guys! They look fantastic!

15. Jorgik
    Carnasaur

Jorgik Well-Known Member

Agree! They look great so far!

16. Warden
    Slann

Warden Tenth Spawning

Your yellow skinks are very brightly painted! I only attempted skink irises once, and it didn't work... so well done! Interesting use of the flaming bits for the standard bearer as well, very unique looking unit!

Also those blue daemons are looking very heretical. But I think that is what you were going for.

Bowser likes this.
  17. Andrea Mangoni
    Saurus

Andrea Mangoni Active Member

I really love the main colour scheme of your army - the kroxigor-skinks unit is awesome.

18. Hojdar
    Cold One

Hojdar Active Member

Thank you all! It feels good to be back with the fantasy painting, the lizzies always were my favorite models to paint. I will be working on the last 2 kroxigors as well as an Oldblood for the Silver Tower, while i also paint the rest of the Silver Tower models. So hopefully more models soon if i can get my brush out of my but and paint some more.

Also noticed that my other priest i painted isn't in this thread, that I painted a while back. Here he is!

20150321_081853.jpg 20150321_081912.jpg
    20150321_082131.jpg

19. Bracnos
    Carnasaur

Bracnos Well-Known Member

wow thats really cool i love that you even have the glow on the hand awesome work, btw if can post any WIP pics of how you made that staff or just explain it i would be grateful

Warden and Bowser like this.
  20. Bowser
    Slann

Bowser Third Spawning

The colours on this priest are great! Looks really awesome and that extra touch with the blue flame and the staff are fantastic.