1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To all the slow painters out here!!!

Discussion in 'Painting and Converting' started by SeBM, Feb 4, 2011.

1. HashBash
    Skink

HashBash New Member

Hi, I've been stalking this forum for inspiration every now and then, and this challenge just got me registered.
    As I'll be seeing myself using this thread mostly, I thought I'dd just introduce myself here;
    Im 16y old and I live in Denmark.. I got into the hobby in 2003 I believe, and Lizzies were the first box for me to pick up. Of course I wasn't too good with a brush back then and I have only recently achieved a proper standart for my own liking, and therefore are currently reviewing old childish-awefully painted minies.

I never played much, and I hardly know the rules.. Focusing on painting I collect pretty much the miniatures I like, though I do own alot of lizards by now. And I defo wouldn't get into 40K too ;)

On the earlier topic of handiness I'm a lefty too (wierd, I knowright?!)
    I would like to enter the competition if it's still possible btw; painting wise I often work on projects really long-term, but I am gonna get to posting some pictures of models I finished within the last couple of weeks (some of which I started last summer so, thats how I work. Though I am trying to finish all started models now, before I move on with anything new :p)

2. HashBash
    Skink

HashBash New Member

Ok got the pics, need some serious instructions on how to post them here.. :p
    I've only got them on the cameras memory card atm.. do I need to upload them somewhere first?

---Hasse SJ

3. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

You might want to make a Photobucket account.
    (check the stickied post on posting pictures)

4. HashBash
    Skink

HashBash New Member

Got it, here goes :p

Box of ten Lizardmen Temple-Guards
    IMG_0123.jpg
    IMG_0126.jpg
    IMG_0122.jpg

-Using pretty much the GW scheme on my Reptiles ;)

This Skank Chieftain I converted from a normal skink, most of the weoponry being from the various Saurus boxes. The block on which he's standing aswell as the pennant and some leg-bending was build up with green stuff.

IMG_0118.jpg
    IMG_0120.jpg

Apologies for the shiney-ness. I gloss all my miniatures for extra protection and haven't got to spray them with sealer yet.

---Hasse SJ

5. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Like all the conversions, gereat painting too, especialy on the painted gems.

6. SeBM
    Terradon

SeBM New Member

Nicely done HashBash, very glad to see that little painting challenge made you register on the forum. I really like your skink chief conversion and I'm looking forward to seeing more of your work!

7. sevensevensare49
    Kroxigor

sevensevensare49 Member

nice work HashBash - and welcome!

<shameless cross promotion>
    I've stolen a leaf out of SeBM's book and floated the idea of an Elimination Painting Challenge, hopefully starting April 1 if there's enough people want to join.
    Interested? Check it out here.
    </shameless cross promotion>

8. sevensevensare49
    Kroxigor

sevensevensare49 Member

Week 6 Points update!

Slow Painters Challenge - Week 6
    Viarca - 15 points (Skink Priest, Slann, Stegadon, 3 Skink Handlers, Salamander, 12 Saurus)
    Eladimir - 11.8 points (16 Saurus/Temple Guard, Stegadon, Skink Priest, 8 Skink Handlers & 5 command)
    Josh Ichimaru - 7 points (Slann, Skink Priest, 5 Saurus)
    Juhaaha - 6.4 points (Titan Gladiator, Master Tormentor, 2 Beastmen Gors)
    sevensevensare49 - 4.2 points (HE Swordmaster, Oxyotl, Chakax)
    HashBash - 4 points (10 Temple Guard, Skink Chief)
    strewart - 2 points (Unit Filler)
    SeBM - 0.2 points (Saurus Warrior)

Managed to finish 2 of my hormagaunts on the weekend, but got frustrated because the basing i wanted to do looked 100% better in my head. So I'll have to figure out a way around that. Also got distracted by my Slann's Palanquin which has been looking at me since I constructed it (going on 2 months?). Now stalled on that because the vines were taking me forever and haven't done any painting in two days.

9. HashBash
    Skink

HashBash New Member

Thanks for the feedback. :D
    Have a small pack of old metal sculp temple guards ready within an hour of work or so..
    Also have a few wood elf glade riders ready soon, aswell as a WE Forest Dragon WIP I could prolly show you.
    Hope I can get a few pics up by the end of the weekend ;)

---Hasse SJ

10. themek0n
    Skink

themek0n New Member

On some (legit) sick leave at the moment and have found it quite interesting to read through this post and discover that there others for whom life seems to get in the way of finishing things off. I've got a single, quite well of mate who sends all of his paint jobs to some sweatshop in china and it makes me sick to see the huge, well painted armies he can field. Any way I'd love to register as it took me a year to finish 2 units of 12 skinks and I still have the rest of my army to finish plus a load of Mantic undead I promised my 9 year old I 'd do for him. I know this is drawing to a close soon but is it too late to register?

11. Juhaaha
    Razordon

Juhaaha Member

I've been sick and Had problems with mah Internetz, but it's working fine now. I've however painted scar vet. on cold one and some old metal skinks, pics coming soon!

12. Eladimir
    Salamander

Eladimir New Member

Aside from some bits and pieces my lizard man are pretty close to done so I wanted to try painting some of my island of blood minis. Done a test figure for both, heres my High Elf theme. Is the gold to intense? any suggestions? should there be white somewhere. Lastly what colour should the arrow feathers be?

Colours used, gold, brown, bronze, red, flesh. Mainly p3 paints.

IMG_0215.jpg

IMG_0216.jpg

13. sevensevensare49
    Kroxigor

sevensevensare49 Member

Personal opinion mate, but i think there should be a white (or grey) in there somewhere, either the shirt or skirt, wouldn't really matter. IMO there's a little too much red. gold looks good, esp the sea bit on the shield. I'd leave the fletching white too - it's a "can't go wrong" colour.

Don't know if it's a one coat job on the bow, but I like it - the subtle variations in the brown look like real wood - nice :)

14. Eladimir
    Salamander

Eladimir New Member

I agree, thought it to be pretty intense myself. I'll try the next one with some white. Also gonna try a bone colored spear rather than the brown. yeah its just one coat but thats a cool idea to do that on purpose. The boots I want to second coat up.

Thanks for the thoughts

15. HashBash
    Skink

HashBash New Member

I realise it's just a test model but Idd add a darker tone of red, either by washing it black, or building it up from a darker color (I find the dark flesh one to be a good base for red).
    Also some cold colors should balance it out. For example by painting the gems blue-ish, The borders around the gold silver (chainmail), aswell as adding some pure mithril silver highlights to the gold itself.

16. sevensevensare49
    Kroxigor

sevensevensare49 Member

WIP post from me - my Slann, 99% complete.
    P1030798.jpg

and his seat. Still a fair few details and a bit of tidyup to do, but the bulk of painting is done.
    P1030797.jpg

17. Lord Tsunami
    Salamander

Lord Tsunami Member

my 2 cents (2 words actually) about that slann (and probably for the high elf too) are:

BADAB BLACK

if you drenched it in badab black you would get an awesome looking model. it lacks a bit of contrast as it is, and badab black is gods gift to the gamer to help out with such things :smug:

ps. there is no such thing as too much badab black ;)

18. Eladimir
    Salamander

Eladimir New Member

So your..... pro bedab black? :D
    Yeah I only have devian mud right now for my lizardmen and I tried it and not a good choice for high elf prettieness.

19. sevensevensare49
    Kroxigor

sevensevensare49 Member

sorry mate just noticed your post - never too late to register! just upload some photos of what you've painted and you're in the running.

On another note, no new models from last week so scores are the same!

20. Eladimir
    Salamander

Eladimir New Member

Poppy cock! I completed one High Elf Lothian Spear Guard
    but don't worry no need to change everything over 0.2 points :)