1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. To beast or not to beast

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Army Lists' started by Killer Angel, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

In my meta, I often meet heavy CC armies (Ogre, VoC...)
    I was thinking about besting them in their own playstyle, and field a nasty deathstar... here's what I was thinking:

2500 pts

4 units of 11-12 skinks skirmishers
    1 skroxigor unit (16 skink + 2 kroxi)
    1 unit of 10 saurus warriors (unusual chaff?)

the Deathstar:
    22 TG (full command)
    Oldblood (shield+armor, Trickster’s Helm, Talisman of Preservation, Warrior Bane)
    Oldblood (shield, Armor of Destiny, Piranha Blade)
    Oldblood (shield+armor, The Blade of Realities)
    Slann - Beast (Becalming cognition, Soul of Stone, Harmonic Convergence + Channeling Staff, Iron curse icon, BSB Skavenpelt Banner)

Troglodon
    Jungle swarms
    (both to further increase the hitting power of the bunker)

and i still have 20 pts...

The CC power should be impressive, maximized by the beast Slann, but I've got many doubts (the Oldblood with the Blade of realities is protected only by the number of other potential targets, I've got no skinks casters, I'm relying only to one unit)

Thoughts?

2. DonCheadle
    Skink

DonCheadle New Member

If you're already committing to the LoB playstyle, why not go in fully and run a 10 Skink Chief Deathstar instead of the Oldbloods?

3. Killer Angel
    Slann

I don't know, the only time i used it, the results weren't exceptionals (ogre, with hellheart, that did a nasty cascade effects on my skink prists. Match losed badly)

4. DonCheadle
    Skink

DonCheadle New Member

If you're only running the Slann the risk's pretty much the same though.

Oh well.
    None of the Oldbloods can really go toe-to-toe with a kitted out WoC or Ogre general (though I don't face Ogres that often, do they even take Combat characters or do they just run a lvl 4 Wizard?), so perhaps you're better suited using Scar-Vets. If you're already going Deathstar heavy a razor Standard on your Temple Guard SB might be worth considering.

Also atm you're in hard reliance of the LoB buffs going through with your bunker, if you face a T7 shaped brick wall you're wounding on 6's with everyone.
    A great weapon on one or two of your guys might suit you.

5. airjamy
    Bastiladon

airjamy Well-Known Member

Yeah, i feel that you really lack CC power. I mean, you will dish out a lot, but other armies are better at what you are trying here. I think you should make the switch to 5 Scarvets with all defensive gear in a bigger TG unit (22 is nothing), and then bank on the Savage Beast of Horros going off for some real chopping power. The strength of a well put together Guttstar is the fact that you can only hit characters, who are really tough. When going toe to toe with them, i think you will still lose more often then not, but 5 Scarvets denying any easy kills on rank and file combined with Horros for some real chopping and with more TG to be able to sustain all the shots that are going to be fired at you, should be good. Also, using Sauri as screening is bad, they are more expensive and slower then Skinks, and they cannot shoot.

6. Killer Angel
    Slann

I certainly see your (excellent) points.
    I can certainly eliminate the vanilla sauri, and put some other skink skirmisher (I've got plenty of 'em)
    My doubts about the ScarVet line, is that those guys will carry less equipment then the Odbloods, and in the end they will be forced to lack something.
    The hitting power may be granted by 2HW, but my armor save will be poor...

I'll try to think to a variation of the list.

7. themuffinman873
    Chameleon Skink

themuffinman873 Member

Kroak instead of the Slann will get you a -1 to hit. Ws4 beats just about all ogre ws. Throw in a couple heavens blizzard priests (to help cast deliverence or hex and you save a lot of tg lives.
    If you do go light, consider a forbidden staff. Make that pivotal magic phase count.

8. Killer Angel
    Slann

If I'm using Kroak and heavens priest, that kinda undermines the whole concept of the Lore of the Beast to buff the deathstar... ;)

But I've already played 2 slanns together, so I wonder if I can squeeze a Beast Slann and Kroak in the same bunker, along with 4-5 ScarVets...
    Just skinks for Core and the deadly unit.
    Dangerous, but fun to try. :D

9. airjamy
    Bastiladon

airjamy Well-Known Member

Your save will not be great, but your opponent will not really know that. Do not forget that your opponent does not know what items your are toting (at least that is how you should play 8th IMHO). He does not know which one does the most chopping, and which one has the Dawnstone, he just sees a lot of characters who doubtlessly have massive amounts of magic items. It feels dangerous to field, but you can use that lack of knowledge to your advantage, especially when you field such an unusual deathstar.

10. themuffinman873
    Chameleon Skink

themuffinman873 Member

Good point, I sort of missed the main idea of the thread, my mistake.
    If you go with the offensive SV front line, consider throwing in the OTS as you will not be losing anything (except for the Slann's ward).