1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS TTS 1k Battle Report - Koatls Claw vs Troggs

Discussion in 'Battle Reports' started by Davema, Mar 30, 2020.

1. Davema
    Saurus

Davema Well-Known Member

My group is on hiatus thanks to covid-19, so we are trying out various things to fill the gaming hole. I took on one of my mates the other night using tabletop simulator for the first time. It worked really well and we'll definitely use it more in future weeks. We were also able to stream the game to our group discord channel so we could even have spectators.

Our lists weren't super optimised, just some 1k armies to test out TTS and to see how the new battletome works.

I took:

Scar vet on carnasaur
    Sunblood
    Warriors with spears x 30
    Knights with lances x 5
    Stegadon

My friend had:

Troggboss
    Felwater Troggs x 3
    Felwater Troggs x 3
    Rockgut Trolls x 3
    Gargant
    Loonshrine

We played a simple scenario on a 4x4 table. Two objectives on the center line, 1 point for each controlled one at end of each round.

First round, I started. His bad moon starts in the corner of the board, well away from me. Stars aligned to give me extra run. I had deployed fairly centrally, and moved up while fanning out slightly. Carnasaur and sunblood stayed roughly central, warriors went towards the right objective, stegadon and knights towards the right. No range for charges, so passed over to his turn. He had rockguts coming towards my warriors, gargant on the other flank approaching the knights. Boss hanging back towards the middle, with the two units of felwater coming up the centre. Rockguts throw rocks but miss. One unit of felwater charges the stegadon and knights, the other charges the warriors. Gargant charges the knights. I buff my knights so that they act as if they had charged, and get my command point back on a 4+ roll. Gargant kills two knights, my warriors kill the felwater troggs in return. The other felwater troggs kill the rest of my knights though, so they came to nothing. Stegadon proceeds to miss with virtually everything, maybe doing one wound to the felwaters. End of round, one point each.

Round two, he wins the roll and double turns me. Bad moon only moves to center of tile, still away from me. His boss moves up, ready to charge stegadon. Same for gargant. Rockguts also square up closer to my warriors. All charges are good. I give stegadon extra save against gargant. Rockguts throw some rocks, kill handful of warriors. Gargant wails on the stegadon, doing a ton of damage. Stegadon senses it's end is nigh and tries to do some damage before it's demise - did a few wounds to the gargant. Either the felwater or the boss finished it off, don't recall which. Warriors kill two of the three rockguts. No more fights, turn passes to me. Changed the constellation to give carnasaur extra attacks. Carnasaur swings towards gargant, Sunblood towards boss. Warriors maximise numbers on the remaining rockgut. All charges are good. Carnasaur buffs his own attacks, then gets the point back and buffs warriors as if they had charged, Sunblood debuffs boss. Carnasaur chews up the gargant, and really should have chosen to put some of his wasted attacks onto the felwater, but didn't. Felwater fail to hurt carnasaur badly. Sunblood does a few wounds against boss. Boss does four back, ouch. Warriors destroy rockgut. End of round, it's still one objective each.

Initiative again, I win and opt to go again. His bad moon stays put. Warriors stay put, in hand sight they could have come over and helped out, i forgot how objectives stay captured in AoS. Carnasaur repositions slightly to engage boss as well as felwater. Carnasaur wipes the felwater, his boss kills the sunblood. Nothing left to do, I pass control to him. His boss tries to damage carnasaur, but I use all out defence, and get the command point back. End of round, I now have both objectives.

We agree to call the game at this stage, his boss on the ropes with an angry carnasaur ready to take his last two wounds. Victory for the lizards!

Take homes:
    * Table top simulator is a legit way to play AoS from quarantine - it worked really well, and only took a tiny amount of time to figure out. The game took only slightly longer than a real game would have, and most of the slowdown was me checking my new rules all the time!
    * Coalesced Koatls Claw is awesome. The -1 damage is great, the command trait is broken, and the +1 hit on the charge can lead to some big rounds of damage.
    * I need to spend some time collating all the different buffs we have. Some are very similar but different (for example, exploding 6s on celestite weapon, versus exploding 6s on all melee attacks), and I was getting confused mid-game.
    * 30 warriors work very well. They will stay above the magic 15 mark for a long time unless there enemy has specific anti-horde stuff.
    * I need to hang back a bit and not just let me stuff get turn one destroyed/gimped on the return charge.

Until next time!

2. LizardWizard
    OldBlood

LizardWizard Grand Skink Handler Staff Member

Gratz on the win!.

Thanks for the batrep.

Lizerd likes this.