1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Vampire Lord

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Discussion' started by Chicken Lips, Jun 20, 2017.

1. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Nope!

upload_2017-6-21_16-18-6.png

2. Chicken Lips
    Carnasaur

Chicken Lips Well-Known Member

As far as taking a Carnosaur over a Cold One, a Carnosaur will match Terror for Terror, he is comparable in stats as a Zombie Dragon and also has the potential to increase his # of attacks. The Cold One, while much cheaper, only prevents my Oldblood from being Thunderstomped. Plus, I really want to see a throw-down between a T-Rex and Zombie Dragon! Lol!

I know that he'll be rocking the Sword of Strife, and the Talisman of Preservation. As far as anything else, I don't know.

3. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

Then i encourage you to have an armor save 1+ rerollable, and pick the trickster's shard!

Chicken Lips likes this.
  4. Chicken Lips
    Carnasaur

Okay. Since I know that his Vampire will only be S5, I have dropped the ward save altogether and come up with this build:

Oldblood (Carnosaur, Bloodroar, Swiftstride, Other Tricksters Shard, Glittering Scales, Fencer's Blades, and Dawnstone)

That will give me Terror, make him reroll successful ward saves, -1 to Hit, WS 10 and a re-rollable armor save. Meaning out of his 7 re-rollable attacks (+ whatever his mount can do) he'll only be able to hit me on 5s and then have to wound me on 4s. Then I'll have to make 3+ re-rollable armor saves.

I'd say that it really looks like it'll be a pretty even match-up. Should be good!

n810 likes this.
  5. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

^ you just discover my old favorite build. :D

Chicken Lips likes this.
  6. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

The problem with the Carno is that the blender lord can (and should) focus his attacks on it. Carnos are weak in the defense department and it won't last long against the blender lord.

Chicken Lips likes this.
  7. Chicken Lips
    Carnasaur

Well, I suppose I could simply do the same.

8. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

That is true. The Zombie dragon is just as much of a sub-optimal choice.

Therein lies the advantage of the cold one; the blender lord has no choice but to try to cut through the Oldblood's formidable defenses.

Chicken Lips likes this.
  9. Chicken Lips
    Carnasaur

Yeah, but then I'd also be subject to taking Terror tests.

10. Killer Angel
    Slann

But the Cold One causes fear, so you shouldn't be affected by terror, because it would be declassed to fear, right?

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  11. Chicken Lips
    Carnasaur

Does it? I couldn't remember if the Cold One did or not. It certainly doesn't have the same attacking potential though. And, what if I win and get into combat with a horde of zombies? All those Carnosaur attacks and Thunderstomps will certainly come in handy and clear them out a LOT faster! Heck, I might even have him tear them apart first and just feed his Vamp chaff too! Lol!

n810 likes this.
  12. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Yep all the dinosaurs cause at least Fear, the stegs and carnasaurs cause terror.
    (kroxogors also cause fear)

Chicken Lips likes this.
  13. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

You are correct. The Oldblood is only required to make fear tests.
    Cold Ones do indeed cause fear...

upload_2017-6-22_15-33-10.png

Of course the Carno does have some advantages. But against a good general, the Carno will likely be dead before it can really make a difference. If you're looking for a fun list, the Carno is great, but if you want a tactical advantage you should lean towards the Cold One. Not as exciting, but that's the way it is.

14. Niarg
    Skink

Niarg Member

Except that cold ones are immune to psychology (through stupidity) and therefore too stupid to have to take fear and terror tests anyway. Just another way that cold ones were really the way to go in 8th (maybe to compensate for the cold one models).

That said, if he's a relative beginner, then just go for the carno and save the cold one for when he optimises his own vampire build.

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  15. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

The vampire scum will die if you follow my advice. Use an Oldblood on Carnosaur with the Sword of Swift Slaying, light armour, shield and a healing potion. Sword of Swift Slaying for him is a waste of points because somehow I know that Quickblood and Sword of Swift Slaying both give you Always Strikes First. Sword of Swift Slaying for you will allow your Oldblood to strike at the same time as his Vampire Lord, while the healing potion will allow the Oldblood to heal himself D3 wounds in a close combat phase before attacking, so if the combat lasts for longer than 1 round you can heal him up again. You have the edge in terms of armour save because you have Scaly Skin 4+, light armour lowers it to 3+, shield lowers it to 2+ and mounted makes it 1+, whereas he will only have heavy armour, shield and be mounted, which will only give him a 3+ save. You will both strike each other at Strength 5, which gives a -2 armour save modifier, so he will have a paltry 5+ save against you while you get a nifty 3+ save against him. The Carnosaur will also have the edge against the Zombie Dragon because they both have initiative 2 so strike at the same time. You have the same rolls to hit, will both need 3+ to wound and will both have no saves after armour save modifiers, but the Carnosaur will inflict Multiple Wounds (D3) against the Zombie Dragon, which the Zombie Dragon doesn't have. This means each successful wound inflicts D3 wounds instead of 1. On a 1-2 it will inflict 1 wound, on a 3-4 it will inflict 2 wounds and on a 5-6 it will inflict 3 wounds. The Carnosaur has 5 attacks max, so if you hit and wounded with all 5 and rolled 5 or 6 for all five to determine the number of wounds inflicted, you would inflict 15 wounds on the Zombie Dragon and utterly slaughter it. You will probably get less hits and wounds than that but all you need is to inflict 6 wounds on the Zombie Dragon and it will die. If the Carnosaur and Vampire Lord survive, this means that the Vampire Lord will either find himself on foot (if your opponent has a model of his general on foot), allowing you to Thunderstomp him with D3 Strength 7 hits, or will die with the Zombie Dragon if your opponent doesn't have a model on foot to be the general. It is the rule that if a monster dies, any multiple-wound characters on the monster need to be replaced with a model on foot or are assumed to die with the monster. You can ensure your Oldblood survives if the Carnosaur dies by not sticking him onto the saddle when you build him. A square base came with the plastic kit when it was still a fantasy kit so you can paint up the base and use a couple of pieces of blu tack to stick the oldblood on it if the Carnosaur dies, thus guaranteeing his survival.

Hope this helps - sorry if it's a lot to read. If you need any more tips with destroying Vampire filth, let me know.

16. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

That is so true. Good catch!
    That's playing with fire, blender vampires are nasty!

17. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

I like to think I can defeat Vampire Counts if I were set up against them. My plans are specially designed to wipe them out. If I were a Fantasy character I would have Hatred (Vampire Counts) as one of my special rules.

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  18. Killer Angel
    Slann

That's true sportmanship! :D

(Not that those bloodsuckers deserve anything better...)

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  19. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Agreed (I'm a lot more sporting when it comes to any other army, except perhaps warriors of Chaos who are ridiculously OP)

Chicken Lips and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  20. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

All hail Chaos! :D