1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. What happens when a template hits a Stegadon?

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Pvthudson01, May 3, 2012.

1. Pvthudson01
    Skink

Pvthudson01 New Member

Still trying to understand this

The skaven for example have many template weapons that when they hit split into multiple wounds

So say a template from a Warped Lightening Cannon lands on the head of a stegadon.

How are wounds distributed, and what happens when one wound is expanded into D3 multiple wounds etc etc?

I know it mentions MISSILE HITS in the Stegadon section of the Lizardmen book but my opponent was arguing its not a missile its a template

2. Arli
    Skink Priest

Arli Moderator Staff Member

You may want to sit down for this.......

In 8th edition, anytime a monster (or ridden monster) is hit by a template weapon, the template hist everything. The monster and all riders are hit. That is why cannons and other template weapons are so good in 8th edition. When hit, you would roll to wound each of the seperate profiles. For example, when the stegadon EOTG is hit, you would roll for hitting the stegadon, the priest, then the crew.

3. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

Mostly..... it dies. :jawdrop:

4. Durandal
    Cold One

Durandal Member

Hits that cause multiple wounds don't take effect until the wound in question has successfully been applied to a single target model.
    So, say my Carnosaur causes 1 wound against a wyvern, and 2 against the warboss riding it. The wyvern does not save its wound, while the warboss saves one of them. I roll a d3 for the wyvern, and apply all of them to it, then a second d3 for the warboss.

5. Pvthudson01
    Skink

Pvthudson01 New Member

Ok got ya

So multiple wounds cant "bleed over" and go onto another target.

If they kill the thing they multiple wounded thats that?

6. Durandal
    Cold One

Durandal Member

Yeah, the only exception is for units of multiple wound models, such as a unit of Ogres. In that case, you calculate each multiple wound per model hit and wounded, tally the total up, and then remove whole models (so 7 wounds on a full unit of Ogres removes 2 models, with 1 left with two wounds). It's on page 45 in the rulebook.

I do however need a separate clarification; in that section on multiwound attacks against multiwound model units, it says that a model can still never suffer more than its wound total. So, if an Ogre is hit by a cannonball, does this mean that you only tally 3 wounds, even if a 4+ is rolled for that model hit?

EDIT: One more question! While wounds don't "bleed over" to other models, the number of wounds, rather then casualties, are what is used in Combat Resolution. Do you use the number of wounds inflicted, including multiple wounds, or the total number of wounds on the slain models' profiles?

7. Anton_S
    Temple Guard

Anton_S Member

Correct, the maximum number of wounds you can do to a basic Ogre is 3.

For CR count the number of wounds actually inflicted. If you kill 3 unwounded Ogres it's 9 points. If one of them was wounded already it's 7 or 8. If you kill a Character using Killing Blow, you score as many points as the Character had left.