1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion what is a Quango?

Discussion in 'Fluff and Stories' started by Dayeater, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Dayeater
    Jungle Swarm

Dayeater New Member

other than a 'quasi-autonomous non-governmental organisation'..... does anyone have any idea as to what exactly a Quango is? it appears to be colorful and winged... so my first thought is some coatl-esque creature, but I was just wondering if anyone had seen it referenced anywhere else or sculpted/converted their own version of a Quango egg/hatchling.

Oh_Man likes this.
  2. Rikard
    Stegadon

Rikard Well-Known Member

I often thought it was named after a specific beasty.

From reading the wording in the fluff (both current and fifth ed), it comes across that way. Though both also say that only the name remains, not the idea or knowledge of what Quango looks like.

Reading the 4-6 result for using the item, it sounds like it's an incredibly powerful version of a Coatl, as the egg opening is followed by a boom of thunder and it smites the foe and then flies off. It kind of gives me the impression that Quango is to a Coatl, what a Dread saurian is to a cold one.

And all this from a hatchling a few seconds old, think about that for a moment....

Combine the North American thunderbird, crossed with the Aboriginal Rainbow Serpent, crossed with the Rok (Or "Roc" depending on the cultural reference) and you're probably close to the mark. It's something whose very presence, summons storms, annihilates entire armies and most likely could give even the old ones a run for their money in terms of power.

3. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

Well-thought out with elegant prose. Also, if you sculpted a Quango, I would accept that as the official look of all Quango given your raw sculpting talent. Until then I imagine everyone has their own image of what a Quango's appearance and powers would be. (Opinions differ on the appearance of powers and appearance and size of Caotl for instance).

To play Devil's Advocate. Saurus, Skinks, and Kroxigor emerge from their spawning pools. They were created by by the Old Ones. Quango are clearly a creature close to the Old Ones. It's possible that the hatching Quango has little if any growing left to do. I personally like the idea of a large flock of medium sized badass Quango better than the idea of Quango as rare titanic beasts of godlike power. In my opinion, the Warhammer Fantasy World has a glut of living and extinct titanic beings of godlike power and does not need one more.