1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's not to like about dogs?

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by pendrake, Sep 8, 2015.

?

Do you like the gryph-hound?

Poll closed Dec 7, 2015.
  1. No..?

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  2. Yes! ...because dogs!

9 vote(s)
    90.0%
  1. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

They finally created an AoS model I genuinely like. It's a dog. It has a griffon head. It is in the blister with Lord Celebrex on foot and his great honking battleship halberd.

ITS A DOG!
    WITH A FEATHERED HEAD!

I don't understand why Lord Celebreakfast needs such a huge halberd ( a battleship halberd is a halberd sized for chopping up battleships rather like an oliphant gun is a gun sized for oliphants ) but they gave him a dog for a sidekick. Not just a bit part to decorate his bosses base, gryph-hound gets his own base.

2. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

It's not bad, but not as good as this one...
    $_35.JPG

3. Fhanados
    Terradon

Fhanados Well-Known Member

I did find it odd they didn't just put the hound on the same base like the Khorne guy, but I also like the Gryph hound. I think it ties in nicely with Demigryphs and in a funny way it legitimises the existence of demigryphs in my head.

4. borkbork
    Ripperdactil

borkbork Active Member

Yeah, it's quite nice indeed, but also not that special!

Oh and I can tell you lots of stuff that is not to like about dogs. More a cat person myself.
    And weren't Gryphon not supposed to be cats anyways?

5. pendrake
    Skink Priest

This one is clearly dog-like...

6. The Sauric Ace
    Salamander

The Sauric Ace Well-Known Member

Actually I find it slightly feline :) but that doesn't mean I don't like it.

7. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

I don't like it, if it was a more dramatic pose maybe it just looks too static for me wether it's how it's been painted but the face is void of any drama.

In fact that's how I feel about all the stormcast range (it's those bloody masks).

But I do love the Khorne puppy and his compatriot's

8. pendrake
    Skink Priest

TSAce is correct that it has some cat features. Enough that I was surprised they call it a "-hound" officially.

But first impression when I saw it at the store was dog / canine / hound, despite the cat-stripe paint job. I think the pose is what does it. It is striking a pose like a hunting dog being put through its paces at a dog show. I guess to some that is a negative. But for me...

:pompus: Dogs Rule :pompus:
    (I want a whole unit...)

The guy manning the counter at the store opined regarding the Stormcast Elementals saying that he thought they were empty suits of armor, with the spirits of long since toasted Empire warriors re-animating the gear. That was the reason for the masks. That seemed at odds with the minor amount of fluff I have absorbed. Didn't debate it with him. Just nodded politely in what I hoped was a tell-me-more fashion.

Maybe he is a 40K guy. Does 40K have a faction like that?

9. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

They look better without the masks as @Carrp has painted here http://www.lustria-online.com/threads/stormcast-lord-celestant.16704/
    but, I dunno, I think the way they are painted makes me not like them, just too blingy for a warrior who has fought hundreds if not thousands of Khorne.

When I looked at the starter set models they are very detailed but I sold the stormcast as I know I would never assemble them.

10. Fhanados
    Terradon

Fhanados Well-Known Member

There's the Thousand Sons legion in 40k - Chaos Space Marines who had their bodies turned to dust and their souls animate their armour. I initially thought Stormcast were like this, but it seems that they actually have a physical form.

11. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

Since they don't have sharp talons like the Demigryphs (who I swapped for bears with my Empire army), the gryph-hounds make me think of this classic comic.

12. pendrake
    Skink Priest

The Owl bear was an attempt by an elderly wizard to make an adorable pet for his great-grand-daughter, a toddler at the time.

She thought owls were cute, especially the little ones with those very big eyes. Kids adore things with big eyes. And of course she wuved her stuffed teddy bear.

So a live bear cub was obtained and a small variety of owl...

...and it all went horribly, horribly, terribly WRONG. :cyclops:

13. is4evrdead
    Cold One

is4evrdead Active Member

i like the look could use a better colour scheme but stat wis:
    move-9"
    wounds-3
    no save
    bravery-6

they have 2 attacks that hit on 3+ and wound on a 4+ doing one damage this increases to 4 attacks if they are within 3" of a lord castellant(guy with lanturn) can move UP TO d6" immediatly after attacking and if a enemy unit is set up within 10" of them any of your units within 2d6" can attack them with one weapon as if they were shooting also no unit limit