1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's your favourite Star Trek series, films and characters?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl, May 25, 2017.

1. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl Eleventh Spawning

Haha, I thought Captain Sisko was pretty awesome, although Captain Picard is my favourite, partly due to his splendid actor. Sisko’s most likely my second favourite.

Agreed 100%.

What about Phlox? I thought he was pretty good too in that department.

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  2. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

That's a good point and he won't talk to you about Wesley!

3. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Right, that seals Phlox’s superiority for me then ;)

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  4. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

She doesn't normally talk about her son during checkups.

I had to look up who that was on a Star Trek wiki. I have yet to watch Star Trek Enterprise. I understand the show is not a horrible show, but it is no one's favorite show. I might watch it when I finish Voyager, or I might circle back to TNG. I've watched most of TNG but I watched it on TV not streaming, so I missed a few episodes here and there.

I am a little suspicious, but Phlox looks like a Cardassian minus the spoon head.

5. Scolenex
    Ripperdactil

Scolenex Well-Known Member

Woah! I expect better of a moderator here than to throw out racial slurs like "spoon head"!

6. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

This is true, but one can never be too careful!

7. Lord Agragax of Lunaxoatl
    Slann

Denobulans do look a bit similar to Cardassians, but they have a more human-like skin tone and some other additional features that make them different from Cardassians.
    Denobulans also have multicoloured toenails that they have to trim very regularly, they have especially long tongues, can puff out their cheeks when they’re feeling threatened and have a society where having multiple spouses is the norm - Phlox himself has 3 wives, each of which have 3 husbands, and when one of his wives makes romantic advances on Commander Tucker, Phlox encourages it rather than gets angry at the idea of a crewmate having an affair with one of his wives. I think Enterprise’s final episode is a flashback that is encountered by the crew of the Enterprise D (haven’t seen it yet but heard rumours and stuff) so you can actually watch Enterprise and it’ll lead nicely onto TNG.

8. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

I have been watching a lot of Star Trek lately and I noticed one thing that is common to all iterations of Star Trek.

The ship gets damaged by an enemy attack and the crew gets knocked around. Sometimes they just get jostled and many times the ships chief medical officer has much to do.

Then someone will say "Shields at 60 percent!"

If you have shields, why did a random panel explode?

This isn't unique to Star Trek. Almost all space faring sci-fi shows and movies have the crew get banged up when there ship is banged up.

Let's cover life support.

First off, space is generally cold. It takes a lot of power to make sure the ship is sufficiently warm. a ship up to a temperature humans can survive and thrive in. In most cases, a ship has an engine or reactor that is very hot.

You need to keep the temperature sufficiently cool to let humans survive and thrive in. Add in how common it is for ships to move from deep space to close to the surface of suns, nebulas and other things likely to be pretty hot, maintaining temperature at a survivable level has got to be really hard.

Then you add in the need for breathable air and in most shows you have some form of artificial gravity.

I would put forth the idea that if you had the technology to make Earth-like living conditions on star ships, the devices that allow this would be both very sophisticated and very delicate. A relatively small amount of damage would cause everyone to burn or freeze to death, or to depressurize the hull. This is how I imagine such a ship would take damage.

[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    This is how Star Trek seems to do it. They treat star ships like boats. If you are on a boat there are all sorts of ways the occupants can be tossed around while the boat or ship is mostly intact.
    [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]

Green means the ship is damaged but still functioning and your air, gravity, lack of motion sickness, and all that good stuff is still Earth-norm.
    Orange is unconscious and dying in need of imminent rescue.
    Yellow means you are inconvenienced or slightly injured
    Red means you are dead.

But the Star Trek writers and directors NEED people to get tossed around to show the drama. Just in case someone in the audience never played a flight simulator game and didn't realize how dramatic it is to have your ship damaged when you are perfectly fine.

I think that is unrealistic. I'd be open to counterarguments if you think it makes sense that star ship passengers would be tossed around routinely.

9. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Uhhhmm.... no.
    The main problem in real life is heat. Space is NOT cold, it is _empty_. That means there is no way to get rid of your heat by convection, only by radiation.

Very interesting post otherwise.