1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

WHTW2 tactics discussion

Discussion in 'General Hobby/Tabletop Chat' started by Killer Angel, Oct 18, 2019.

1. Nazqua
    Carnasaur

Nazqua Well-Known Member

I'm just wondering Anyone else here into modding and using tones of mods on their campaigns, I always use loads of mods that add slight variations or some new units. I recently learnt how to go into mod files and edit stuff and create my own units. These are some of my favourite ones I always thought could be in the base game: (I'm not that great at modding myself but usually edit other peoples work to suit it for my campaign. for example, I can't really create my own unit models so find ones I like in other mods and just edit their stats a tone

tlaxnta.png blessed2.png Blessed.png Blessed3.png skink greatcrests.png jungle swarm.png eternity wardens.png

2. bOdziO Wolf
    Ripperdactil

bOdziO Wolf Well-Known Member

Sounds interesting., but I resigned from all that when I played my first head 2 head. Having an actual player on the other side spices up each battle exponentially!
    I wish instead of making the AI cheating they would actually improve its behavior someday.

3. Nazqua
    Carnasaur

Nazqua Well-Known Member

Yea I see what you mean, but its easier said than done improving the AI. I have never played a head to head so I wouldn't know how it felt. You know it would be pretty cool if some of us on lustria online played a head to head.

4. ASSASSIN_NR_1
    Carnasaur

ASSASSIN_NR_1 Well-Known Member

Agreed, I'd be game

Nazqua likes this.
  5. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

I think currently the AI massivly suffers from the game having added quite a lot of complexity with buffs & active skills in combat & with the weird synergies between buildings. Older AI's seemed to play better as they didn't have to worry about stacking 5 buffs while throwing around magic missiles & it build better cities since it didn't need 3 different buildings to build it's ultimate unit.

Not to mention that the powercurve has gone completly wonky since we have no real late-game units anymore. If you rush the right stuff you'l be fielding carnosaurs or templeguard long before the end-game. And this means that you get increadibly weird armies as one side might be fielding end-game monsters while the other still doesn't even have it's early game anti-large units..

Rome II I had quite a lot of mods for, including several overhauls.

The warhammer ones I use considerably less mods for. Mostly some stuff that fixes inherent flaws in the game. Like adding in T4 minor settlements, or a mod to stop the horrific AI agent spam.

6. Captaniser
    Carnasaur

Captaniser Well-Known Member

It appears that one of the unknown dlcs for the game was updated recently on the steam database, and that usually means the next dlc for the game is right around the corner to be revealed.

[​IMG]

What do you think it will be? I think it is going to be Skaven vs dark elves but that is based on nothing special. Also wonder how the new units will change the meta.

Nazqua and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  7. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Any word/rumor on when Warhammer 3 is set to be released?

Captaniser likes this.
  8. Captaniser
    Carnasaur

The first game was announced in april 2015 and released in May 2016, a 13 month waiting period. The second game was announced in March 2017 and released in September 2017, a six month waiting period. I would hazard a guess in saying that the third game will be announced some time in 2020, most specificaly April - June and release in October - December 2020.

9. Nazqua
    Carnasaur

Nazqua Well-Known Member

Skaven Vs darkelves most likely yea

I'm here hoping it will be throt the unclean with pox rats, brood horrors perhaps even wolf rats or Poison wind Mortars/ Or warp grinders (But I feel the last two have maybe lost their spot) maybe a unique mutation lab mechanic. In this case, we will probably see a beastmaster/ pack master or something as a lord that gives monsters a lot of buffs and maybe has a brood horror as a mount -
    [​IMG]

Pox-rats-
    [​IMG]
    This could change the meta for Skaven, it would give them a lot more options to replace in as cav. I imagine pox rats could be pretty fast. Skaven are getting stronger and stronger and more well rounded ever day, I think some of their weaknesses and gaps are being closed very quickly. If a good player knows how to use them they can be a top pick

Dark elves I'm actually not too sure.

10. Nazqua
    Carnasaur

Nazqua Well-Known Member

Storm fiends will definitely be waiting for thanquol and Vermin Lords

ChapterAquila92 likes this.
  11. Captaniser
    Carnasaur

That all sounds like good ideas and additions to the roster plus anything that give the campaign more depth is a good thing i my book. I do hope that CA get a little creative and use some of the monsters from the White Dwarf clan Moulder army list, for some of those beasties are nasty, but in a good way.
    upload_2019-11-11_19-54-54.png

upload_2019-11-11_19-57-53.png

Nazqua and ChapterAquila92 like this.
  12. Captaniser
    Carnasaur

Dark elves only really need the scourgerunner chariot and the Medusa and it's shrine. Also the dark elves could actually take a unique type of Merwyrm called a Sciowyrm in WHFB so that might be an option for a big centerpiece unit to sell.

13. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

meh to be honest the skaven already have too many units half of which you'l never use. If they're going to make their roster even bigger they should divide them up in their clans a bit more.

14. Kilvakar
    Carnasaur

Kilvakar Well-Known Member

I never thought of that! I'll have to try it out sometime ;)

I've been using a lot of mods recently. It helps add variety to the game and keeps me replaying the Lizardmen campaigns. Some of my favorites are Mixu's lords, the Loreful Lizardmen Legions of Legend (more RoR that are nicely balanced), the region trading mod, and the mixed lores mod that let's you pick whatever spells you want for your Slann lords. I'm currently hoping that the Loreful Lizards mod gets completed/fixed, as it looks like a really interesting way to change up the way the Lizardmen play.

Nazqua likes this.
  15. bOdziO Wolf
    Ripperdactil

I can't believe this is not in the base game yet. 3 Kingdoms have that, maybe WH3 will have?

16. Nazqua
    Carnasaur

Nazqua Well-Known Member

Yea, I use all those mods (+ 100 other ones xD)

17. Nazqua
    Carnasaur

Nazqua Well-Known Member

mods.png

What I have recently done is made a mod that increases construction costs and times by 50%, I fell like it makes the game a lot longer and more realistic/tactical as well as meaning money management is somewhat meaningful. On top of this, you don't get late tier units unit late lair and you have to get to know and use every unit even if they are really early game. ( I also Use -60% replenishment as it means managing your army and its health is a lot more important instead of it insta healing. I also use a mod that means you don't get any buildings when you conquer a city from another race, as it doesn't really make sense that a vampire crypt turns into a spawning pool or a darkelve torture chamber turns into a statue of the old ones xD, This adds to the progression and makes everyone actually have to build-up. Combine the building changes with a mod that means random small armies of wildlings such as orcs, goblins and beastmen spawn with a 20% chance in your province every turn then you get a combination that really makes it a different game and prevents the auto-resolve steamrolling that I really hate. (to do this sometimes no one makes mods for it so you have to edit the values of other mods. For example, I downloaded a mod that makes build times all 1 turn and I just changed it from -1000% to +50%)

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
  18. Canas
    Slann

Canas Ninth Spawning

They remove and add that one seemingly at random to games. Rome II also didn't have it. And I'm not sure if Atilla had it either.

The biggest issue with this is that the economy is already relies on abusing the few methods that actually generate a decent income. Which means that you can quite easily get stuck being unable to build something new when you cannot take advantage of these sources. Especially early on. I've had several campaigns ruined cuz I got stuck with one or two underdeveloped cities, leaving me too weak to conquer/raid my neighbours noone to trade with, and not enough cities to gain significant passive income from buildings. At which point you just sit there for 20 turns praying that you can somehow catch up to the AI.

To be honest, in terms of empire management, TW warhammer is one of the worst TW's by far.

Nazqua likes this.
  19. Kilvakar
    Carnasaur

Kilvakar Well-Known Member

Thankfully the Lizardmen have pretty easy access to income buildings. Their economy doesn't explode early on, but you can rely on being able to afford two armies relatively early. The thing I don't like about them is how many of their units require either the Weapon Crafter's Commune, the Sotek altar buildings, or both. It usually takes quite a while for your capital to build up to the point where you can get those.

On another note, I tried my hand at multiplayer for the first time, and I feel like I may have over-prepared, lol! Of course, I should have expected that not everyone would play as well as the replays you see on Youtube, but I was still surprised that I basically curbstomped my opponent 3 out of 5 different games, with only one loss and winning the fifth game by a close margin.

Captaniser, bOdziO Wolf and Nazqua like this.
  20. bOdziO Wolf
    Ripperdactil

They made usage of Weapon Crafters slightly less annoying now by moving this building to tier 3, so you can build it in your minor settlement. On the other hand the Sotek building is no longer as useful as it was before, unless you really need those Salamanders.

Its a hit and miss due to lack of matchmaking. Sometimes you get easy matches (especially on 2v2) and sometimes you get an unfavoured matchup or you accidentally get blind countered by your opponent in terms of your army composition.