1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

8th Ed. Why do people like ripperdactyls?

Discussion in 'Lizardmen & Saurian Ancients Discussion' started by Blackthorne, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Soteks Prophet
    Skink

Soteks Prophet New Member

I have 2 boxes of the new plastics and am unsure- I feel that 3 of each is not really the best way but 6 rippers isn't a good choice either. Frankly I'm tempted to go 5 terradons and Tictak'To and use the 2 toads as swarm bodies or base decorations.

The ripperdon riders are indeed tougher but not as much of a 'utility knife' as the terradons. The rippers seem more like guided missiles - and for that role we have stegadons.

Also rocks are guaranteed hits. To make optimal use of the rippers you need the toad. Of which there is only one so agains MSU it's a bit pointless and against a horde even with the toad the rippers won't do a lot & in that case the toad becomes a temptation...

2. GCPD
    Bastiladon

GCPD Active Member

Stegadons don't have a 20" flying threat range though.

I think 3 to 4 is the optimal number. Remember that you don't get supporting attacks from the mounts.

Hordes aren't really a good target. Mid sized units are better; bunkers are ideal.

3. Spiney Norman
    Kroxigor

Spiney Norman New Member

With two boxes I would do one of the following
    5 Terradons w/Tiktaq (might run into problems of your opponents are anal about him not joining the unit)
    Or 2 units of three ripperdactyls. Twice the units, twice the toads, twice the fun.

Sudaj likes this.
  4. Rettile
    Ripperdactil

Rettile Active Member

...i hope you wanted to say BANAL...

5. Sudaj
    Saurus

Sudaj Active Member

Right now I'm pretty much exclusively facing Skaven armies, since my only close friend that plays WHFB has a Skaven force... to he honest he LOVES to field his grey Seer (Which CAN, but rarely does, fire magic missiles), as well as his big 'Ole Cannons... I really think a unit or two or Ripper-Torpedoes might just be what I need to calm down that overactive artillery of his...

Edit: THREAD NECROMANCY!!! (sorry, I didn't see how old this thread was until after I posted...)

6. El Caimán
    Cold One

El Caimán Active Member

Lolol thought the same but anal just cracked me up

7. ZeTe
    Saurus

ZeTe Member

my problem is with terradons not rippers, up until i got rippers i fielded terradons in 2 games (1 as a unit of 7 and 1 as 2 units of 3) and after both of these games were finished i can remember thinking what a waste of points. now with that being said i can move on to the rippers , i have fielded them every game i have played since i purchased them and they make me want to buy another unit of 3 so that i can field 3 units of 3 and flank wreak faces as every time i have fielded them they have left enough carnage in their short lives that my slow moving units barely have any resistance by the time the hit combat (luck on rolls on the other hand is a completely different story). long story short i always try to get even 1 unit of 3 rippers into every list i build if i can

8. Pinktaco
    Skar-Veteran

Pinktaco Vessel of the Old Ones Staff Member

Terradons are redirectors, warmachine hunters and can drop rocks on small units. They're a delicate unit that needs practice to be used :)

9. ZeTe
    Saurus

ZeTe Member

yea i can understand that, but i just can't see myself put enough time into them now tbh. that could well change in the future though. atm I'm just trying to build list i enjoy playing and terradons don't cut it for me