1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tutorial Writers' Wretreat or Crytics' Crypt? (love needed)

Discussion in 'Fluff and Stories' started by spawning of Bob, Apr 10, 2015.

1. Paradoxical Pacifism
    Carnasaur

Paradoxical Pacifism Well-Known Member

*Continues talking and questioning one's self incessantly*

How would you write magic? I'm primarily concerned with how a character casts spells and what their bodies/minds go through. Would some spells exhilarate their senses and provide them with newfound zeal (fire spells and other spells that augment combat ability)? Would the fire spells, in a self-explanatory way, increase the internal body temperature of the caster?

What about heavens magic? What does the caster feel when he/she casts harmonic convergence, and what about those on the receiving end? I'm guessing that the rest of the spells from this lore would probably drain the caster's physical energy as if they're placing strain on their bodies, and perhaps even mentally as well.

What would the caster even go through when trying to cast a shadow construct (lustriapedia)? Would he/she utilize their imagination, and/or would it take both skill and experience to reliably utilize shadow magic to create constructs all the while placing massive strain on their minds? Death magic is also interesting to question too.

Just asking these, because it isn't made clear as to what the caster goes through when casting spells. Or at least i don't know.

Paul1748 likes this.
  2. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

There is no rule as to what a caster feels or doesn't feel. Write whatever is interesting, but you should keep things consistent although consistency is relative with magic. A Skink with lore of Heavens probably casts Heavens magic different than a Celestial Wizard in the Empire.

Paradoxical Pacifism likes this.
  3. Scalenex
    Slann

There is no rule as to what a caster feels or doesn't feel. Write whatever is interesting, but you should keep things consistent although consistency is relative with magic. A Skink with lore of Heavens probably casts Heavens magic different than a Celestial Wizard in the Empire.

4. Scalenex
    Slann

This video was intended for creating NPCs in roleplaying games but this is a good set of guidelines for creating interesting minor supporting characters in fiction with a minimum of effort.

Probably not a good idea to use this for major characters, but a useful tool. It goes along with what Kurt Vonnegut says. Every character should want something, even if it's just a glass of water.

5. Warden
    OldBlood

Warden Well-Known Member

Very useful tool.

I do like this guys' channel, lots of good ideas.

6. Scalenex
    Slann

This video contrasting Eastern Versus Western Storytelling is a little long but I think it's worth it.

I was aware that Eastern stories tend to favor clever heroes over strong heroes but the other stuff was pretty new to me.

Aginor likes this.
  7. Scalenex
    Slann

I like to say that most writing rules are guidelines, not rules. You can break a guideline, but you should always have a purpose in mind when you break a guideline, you shouldn't break guidelines just to be subvert expectations.

Here's an interesting video on writing characters with flat arcs. Usually you want a positive arc where the character grows wiser, stronger, or more ethical while a negative arc where a characters goes the opposite direction.

In theory, because Lizardmen and Seraphon are more rigid in their outlook than most other beings, they would be especially well-suited to flat arc characters. That said, I cannot name any examples from L-O stories off the top of my head. I came name lots of stories have very subtle positive or negative arcs, but I cannot come up with a flat arc character story.

Worth thinking about though.

To make a compelling story with a flat arc character, focus on the character changing the world around them.

8. thedarkfourth
    Temple Guard

thedarkfourth Well-Known Member

I'd love to see a story about lizardmen convincing another culture to embrace the dedication to order and the great plan.