1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tutorial Writers' Wretreat or Crytics' Crypt? (love needed)

Discussion in 'Fluff and Stories' started by spawning of Bob, Apr 10, 2015.

1. Scalenex
    Slann

Scalenex Keeper of the Indexes Staff Member

Thanks for the flattery. But, no I am not a professional writer. That was my goal in high school, so I studied the writing process, but now writing is a hobby. I think I like the process as much as the finished product. I like to analyze the composition of stories on places like TVTropes and similar sites.

Paradoxical Pacifism likes this.
  2. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

spawning of Bob Well-Known Member

As I understand it, Scalenex used to be a professional writer, but then he took an arrow to the knee.

Mahrlect. I paused for 20 minutes to come up with a thoughtful reply to put after the one liner above. Comic timing fail (again).

Old Ones? Why have you turned your back on me?

3. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Well I'm always impressed by your analysis. I think that your tips and content breakdown are really beneficial to the writing scene here on the forum.

Also... perhaps you should consider professional writing, even if it just "on the side" to begin with.

That makes sense, same thing happened to a cousin of mine. Oh well, FOS RO DAH!

4. n810
    Slann

n810 First Spawning

I suppose for emphasis you could use...
    BIGGER FONTS AND CAPS AND EXCLAMATION POINTS
    AND A DIFFFERENT COLOR IN BOLD!!!!!!!!!

Paradoxical Pacifism and Rednax like this.
  5. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

He is correct... it does seem highly effective. :p

6. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

Time for a new topic?

Character names.

Slanputin and I both like our character names to have some meaning, hence I spend way too long looking at the Saurian language thread and google translate.

Fantasy names are hard to remember because there is no linguistic frame of reference. They are impossible to remember if there are many characters, as demonstrated by @Kcibrihp-Esurc, who thankfully has blessed us with an character index. I will do the same for the 4th Emperor.

Do any of you have any conventions for naming characters?
    Are there any things about names that irritate you?

7. The Sauric Ace
    Salamander

The Sauric Ace Well-Known Member

I'm completely with you on this one Bob. Names are difficult; they either seems to generic for my taste or so alien that I can never remember them. I always makes a note at the end of my writings with names of each character I'll need later on.

Actual when it comes to naming a character I would think anything goes, even if the name seem alien and without reference. Not every name has a direct meaning to me even in the real world.

It is always one of the biggest issue, though.

8. Scalenex
    Slann

New topic? I am the only one who wrote anything about the last one. It was followed by Slanputin heaping me with (well-deserved) praise for conclusively settling the topic for all time. Then N810 went back to the exclamation points topic. I suppose the silence on the old topic. here shows we are ready for a new topic.

Well I just made up names that i thought sounded good. Then I accidentally gave a perfect Saurian name for Kaitar and decided I should put more conscious effort into names. Note, I am more to come up with meaningful names for side characters than my main characters. My main characters are often too nuanced (in my mind) to have a one-word description where I don't care if the first part of the name of Nka-Lat the mentally damaged Skink priest's name means "captive and/or unchanging."

Nowadays I go to the Saurian language guide for naming Lizardmen characters for about 80% of my characters. If I don't think the name looks memorable or rolls off the tongue I will change things a little bit from the Saurian to make Saurian-rish. Slann I tend to take more liberties with their names. Since I like my Slann to have three or four syllable names I want them relatively easy to pronounce and remember. Just in case people have trouble keeping track of my background characters, I usually give Slann the title "Lord" so readers at least are clued in that it's a Slann.

For Skaven I make stuff up, favoring double "e"s or "it." U-E does not have any formal resources on this despite people asking, and while I don't mind sharing stories with U-E, I'm not going to make them a writing guide.

I find the Dark Elf and High Elf forums have language guides similar to what we have for Saurian but a bit smaller. I started naming some elves that way, but I think I prefer an English-French dictionary taking the word that describes the character best and then changing a few letters to slightly mangle the French.

For Empire I usually go to baby name sites and look for German names, then I poke around for a meaning that seems roughly close to the character. I occasionally google "German surnames" but I find relatively few Human characters need surnames.

I think you know what bothers me B'o'b...Interestingly enough, the Fantasy Novelists Checklist says hyphenated names are just as bad, and I have quite a few of those. I do not think I ever read a book or watched a move that passed every check point. Since we are tied to GW fluff to some extant, it is literally impossible to write a GW fanfiction piece that passes every question. That's a topic for another day, should we take the "Fantasy Novelists Checklist" seriously as a guide.

Allow me to amend your statement. When it comes to naming a character, I would think anything goes as long as you are consistent with naming conventions in your literary setting.

I am not picking on Bob here, But number 38 on the checklist seems very important,
    1. Do you see nothing wrong with having two characters from the same small isolated village being named "Tim Umber" and "Belthusalanthalus al'Grinsok"?

There's a whole trope on this "Aerith and Bob." Generally you shouldn't use this trope if you aren't going for comedy.

9. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

No one was willing to gainsay such a professional-like author. Especially one with a limp.
    Your awesomely generic answer about gods actually helped me somewhat, especially in combination with the Scalenex Maxim (Scalenaxim?) of don't make something / someone counter to all stereotypes without a darn good explanation and for a good purpose.

The Great War Against Chaos story hinges on a series of miracles as isolationist gods suddenly become interventionist. I will need to make sure to bludgeon the reader with faith, otherwise it is going to look like supernatural luck again (if there is a difference)

Not excluding more opinion about gods, but back to names.

The "Aerith and Bob." thing is actually becoming a millstone for me. I've been ironing out the bumps in another chapter of the 4th Emperor, and the thing I hate most is,

Scalenex's reply was soft and chill. "Do you suppose you have the wit or the authority to judge me?"
    Bob was not giggling anymore. "Friends. We are among friends. Please Scribe, tell us all how you came to our rescue."

It is so bad that I am considering changing the character's name to Simon.

When the lizardmen band finally return to Lustria, I am sort of planning for the locals to call them by their correct LM names, rather than the Reikspiel-icized versions. (Please don't tell Simon that it means they will be B'ob and J'oe)

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
  10. Slanputin
    Carnasaur

Slanputin Well-Known Member

Excuse me, I think you'll find that it was a Ser @NIGHTBRINGER who was nice enough to cast you some alms, I'm aloof from such matters. So aloof that I forgot to throw in my two ingots on Bob's last theme...

1) Yes

2) My interpretation is that the Old Ones have truly left the Lizardmen, and that influences ostensibly related to the Old Ones are down to a) sciences beyond the understanding of the Lizardmen (or have utilities that hold no meaning/use for the Lizardmen) - sacred spawnings could be an example of this; and b) they left psionic impressions in the Realm of Chaos, and similarly the powerful hold they held over their children led the LM to have a shared awe and respect in their masters that manifested as entities in the Realm of Chaos. I don't imagine them to be fully-formed deities a la Khorne, The Horned Rat, etc. (although some could choose to take on a form/avatar) however more as ambiguous ideals/characteristics of each of the Old Ones of varying degrees of sentience.

3/4)It really depends on your perspective. I imagine that the LM will accept any imposition the Old Ones push upon them, taking it as part of the Great Plan and thus worth whatever cost the blessing/curse comes with. As to what blessing/curses are - it really is subjective, but generally what the individual being blesses/society at large interprets it. Generally, if it's advantageous it's a blessing and vice versa. Of course I believe it's a spectrum, and Chaos have are really the best example of this (their Eye of Chaos being prime source to point to). Even the Slaaneshi lore has a spell that works as both a hex and an augment!

As you said, I do have naming conventions. I try to let names be determined by themes and ideology. Sometimes this is synonyms associated with an ideology of a group, and then obfuscating those words within the naming tropes associated with their culture to create names for each individual.

However, I try to avoid the self-fulling prophecy or obvious "meaning" in names. It find it cheesy. For example, "Jabba the Gangsta", "Jesus el Salvador", "Simon McRogue", "General Mal-Horn Odious" are all names that should be only used in the domain of comedic writing. Although my examples are an obvious parody, it really is such a common trope in fantasy writing it often parodies itself.

This trope is also a good method to exaggerate cultural differences. e.g. Xhaltan and Francoise.

11. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

Xhaltan and Francoise would surely be mortal enemies. Bon appétit!

SoB names with meanings (obvious OR hidden). I will do this for a few reasons.

I needed to pick a name. Why not make it a joke? Wolf Priest Heimlich did the Heimlich manoevre in chapter 1, establishing his calmness in the face of a pressure situation and introducing an (eventually) important character in a scene where he was not otherwise required. I hope that you have all forgotten the joke and now just accept that his name is the appropriately Reikspielish Heimlich. Keep your eyes peeled for german physicists in a later book.

To help the reader. My dramatis personae for The 4th Emperor will tip the scales at well above thirty individuals. When the reader sees a name for the second (or fourth) time, rather than them going "Corporal Whitefeather? Was he the brave one? I can't remember." they have an alternate connection to the memory banks. I am a little more subtle than that, therefore he would be Korporal Weissefeder. If you don't speak German, and don't mind spoilers, try Google Translate on the surnames of my characters. Example, do you think Franz Betruger will be naughty or nice?

Punter is coming. If a name looks elaborately made up, and has no meaning in Elvish, Entish, or the tongues of Men, there is a chance that once the name is put along side some key additional words it will become either an outrageous pun or a lame pop culture reference. Just roll with it.

Invitation: Let me know if that stuff gets in the way of plot too much. If I know what you hate, it reveals your weaknesses. Expect me to be more annoying in future.

12. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

In reviewing this thread, I realised that asking the question "what should I do?" will always ultimately be answered with "whatever you like. It's fantasy, duh." +/- some interesting discussion on the way.

SO I realised that isn't the question I want answered. A better one is "What would YOU do."

My old dwarf naming convention existed to exploit the Dwarfs are Scottish trope and to imply that they used long and complicated names because long and complicated is the opposite of another word. Suffice to say is one of the words the Dwarfs of Ni! cannot hear, and which was plot relevant in The False Moon War Ch 13.

My current convention:
    I believe that the Grand Theogenist of the Empire has a dwarfish type name and title - Currently Volkmar the Grim. This is supposed to be because of the closeness of Sigmar and his dwarf allies in the old days. (according to Warhammeronline, anyway)

I took this as a good excuse to continue the "Someone the Something" format for my dwarfs. Now it seems that " Alaric the Mad" is the only example I can find.

Anyhow, I have "Inebric the Trader" and future dwarfs will be Alergic the Sneezy and the like - first names ending in "ic" where possible. Using this convention opens up a treasure trove of vaguely jokey names. Only Acetic the Sour would ever complain.

Q.
    What would the female form of dwarf name endings be?

Q.
    Do other races have structural conventions, common suffixes or particular sounds that go with them?

13. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

When will you learn? Beware the plot-relevant-character-name-sleeper gag!

14. Scalenex
    Slann

I don't have a problem with sleeper gags in general (the wretreat is for things in general).

My comment was about the implementation of ONE particular joke.

15. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

Other views on naming?

@Kcibrihp-Esurc you seem to be able to produce scads of character names which fit their races. What is your secret? Do you just go with "that sounds cool" or do you use something for reference?

16. Kcibrihp-Esurc
    Razordon

Kcibrihp-Esurc Well-Known Member

I for lizardmen, use the book, choosing a word that fits at least part of their character e.g. Uaxhedin Uax is the lizardmen word for Sea Level/Flood Boqtlan Boq is the lizardmen word for Weapon/Hurt/Hit

For others I use the following:
    Donjon or John's D&D utilities and pick the correct thing (Names) and select the most relevant culture,
    then I choose the best 2 syllable names and split them into two syllable parts
    and I use
    Random. org's list randomizer for choosing which name parts to use, out of about 10 and put the name together!

17. spawning of Bob
    Skar-Veteran

Wow. That is complex, but it certainly works for you.

I have looked at orc, ogre and daemon name generators in the past, just to get the hang of the naming conventions, and then forged out bravely on my own. More recently I have used German Baby Names lists because most of my ancillaries are from the Empire.

Leading to a side question: What would local folk call the Empire? What about outsiders?
    The Empire of Man? The Empire of Sigmar?

18. Scalenex
    Slann

Well I think the local folk would have no problem calling it "the Empire." People tend to like puffy self referential statements. Also, the WHF BRB is largely written from the Empire's point of view. 6th ed was even more so.

I figure Elves (all three) think their empire is the only one that counts, but they have to admit that "the Empire" as we know it is the strongest human kingdom so they would call it "the Empire of Man." Dwarves would not want to call it the same thing Elves do and they respected Sigmar, so they probably call it the "Empire of Sigmar." Brettonians would probably come up with a synonym that sounds less impressive than "Empire" since it probably sticks in their craw that they aren't the Empire. They also take the Lady of the Lake seriously. They probably incorporate Sigmar into the name they use for the EMpire somewhere, I'm not sure where to go from there.

I imagine the Warriors of Chaos and Skaven have a variety of derogative names for the Empire. I imagine the Orcs and Goblins and Beastmen don't differentiate individual Human nations much and refer to them a Humans (or Humies or some other colorful name). They might make a reference to the colorful uniforms the Empire wear and distinguish them that way. Ogres are big enough into assimiliating cultures they would refer to the Empire however the locals are referring to it (wherever the Ogres happen to be) though they probably have colorful nicknames for the Empire.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2018
  19. Kcibrihp-Esurc
    Razordon

Kcibrihp-Esurc Well-Known Member

WRONG!
    Brettonnians call them "Jumped up Peasants"
    Or, when the Empire tries to colonise Brettonnia they call them
    "The sticky red stuff in my horse's hooves" usually with something along the lines of "Peasant clean out" before it.

20. Scalenex
    Slann

New topic.

The Fantasy Writers Checklist. Is it something writers should reference a lot, think about a little, or is it purely a gag. I think it would be almost impossible to write a fantasy story that passes every question. Some like #39 are asking too much. I dare say it's literally impossible to write a WHF fluff piece without answering yes to at least one of these questions because GW canon has so many of these etched in stone.

So my thought is to avoid the things on the checklist but don't bend over backwards to avoid them. Some of these are fantasy cliches and some of these are fantasy classics. Perhaps TV Tropes said it best.

That being said, #1, #27, #31, #49, and #53 are almost inexcusably bad

#14, #23, #24, #30, #38, #47, #63, #66, and #73 bug me a lot, but I can come up with exceptions to allow them.

I avoid any of the playing battle scenes out in RPG systems. Real life is random, but all events in a story should be planned. They need to showcase a setting, reveal character or advance the plot. Not happen just because.

Note, if you are doing a fantasy comedy piece than you should use LOTS of these, but on the whole I believe writers should minimize "yes" answers on this checklist. Within reason. I was going to use a food metaphor but people disagree on what they like or don't like. Umm you need some of the items on the checklist for flavor but too many items from the checklist will overwhelm the taste of the exciting original story you are trying to make,