1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS A few Death questions

Discussion in 'Rules Help' started by Aginor, Apr 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

IIRC it's in the general FAQ (one of the magenta in the last version)

Aginor likes this.
  2. Aginor
    Slann

Aginor Fifth Spawning Staff Member

Yep, got it.

3. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Crowsfoot Guardian of Paints Staff Member

Or 2 groups of 40 and 2 groups of 20!

Use the 20 to act as chaff while you bring in the 40 to eliminate targets and you will be surprised at just how hard they are to kill, you need to wipe a unit out in a combat phase or pay the price.

4. Aginor
    Slann

Interesting! Thanks!

Now back to bases:

Pic1:
    1.png

Pic2:
    2.png

If mine are the blue ones, Skeletons with spears (2" range) and the red ones are the enemy, and all of them are 25mm bases all of my Skellies can hit can't they?

EDIT: Of course only _barely_ in Pic1, but in Pic2 it is pretty obvious IMO since those are WAY less than 2"
    EDIT2: Also sorry for the bad pics, I only have paint on this PC. :D

Killer Angel likes this.
  5. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Third rank on both would be classed as out of range.

But if you take the rules as written and measure from model to model they would be in range.

But during pile in you could get them into base to base contact.

Aginor likes this.
  6. Aginor
    Slann

Ok, but WHY? I can take my ruler and measure that those are less than two inches.
    I cannot find a rule against that. Why should anyone do that and arbitrarily choose the third rank as not viable while the second one is.

EDIT: I kiiinda understand the first situation because it is only a millimeter or so. Hard to measure on the table. But the - more realistic anyway - second situation those would be clearly in range IMO. In fact standing like that was a real life tactic in order to allow exactly such strikes from the third row, both for ancient Greek Phalanxes and for "Landsknecht" troops during medieval times.

7. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Because the bases are 25mm which is in GW world 1 inch so two bases is 2 inch in GW world so third base is out of range in GW world.

8. Aginor
    Slann

Ok, that settles the first one. They pretty much omit the 0.4 millimeters (or 0.8 for two rows), I understand that.
    But the real distance in example two is ~22mm for the second row and ~44mm for the third. Even if you put 1"=25mm that's way less, and visibly so.

I'll measure it exactly at home though.

EDIT: Or do they count only in half-inch increments (12 or 13mm)?? That would be VERY rough IMO but at least it would explain it I guess.

Crowsfoot likes this.
  9. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Dunno but in every game i've played every opponent plays it the same way.

And in example 2 if the third row is clearly under 50mm (GW 2inch) you should be allowed the attacks but I've seen it where it was classed as out of range.

Aginor likes this.
  10. Aginor
    Slann

I will measure at home. But IMO that's an important thing, especially for armies that have stuff on small bases, like Seraphon, Skaven(?), Deathrattle, and a few others.
    If my third row of Skinks is out of range when the first row is 14" away from the enemy that is BOOOOOO. Skeletons aren't exactly the best melee units in the game, even though they have small bases, I see no reason to take that away from them as well.
    Then you might just base them on 32s, it wouldn't change much, except having more space for nice basing.
    I even believe that Dryads are on 32s on purpose, although they would fit nicely on 25s, just to make them not OP.

I can hardly imagine there was ever a player in AoS history who whined about Deathrattle being OP because of three ranks of Skeletons demolishing him. :D

Crowsfoot likes this.
  11. Crowsfoot
    Slann

Skeletons are not to be under estimated, when buffed they are lethal.

Aginor likes this.
  12. Aginor
    Slann

I hope so since I am building a metric ton of them right now, and I will be facing Ironjawz and Stormcast....

13. Killer Angel
    Slann

Killer Angel Prophet of the Stars Staff Member

IMO Aginor is correct.
    I don't care about "GW conventions"... we measure the range of the weapons, and so if a model got reach, it can attack.
    With the moonhammer of kroxies we measure the exact distance to see how many enemy models are affected, with the steamgun of the gyrocopter we measure the exact distance, why shouldn't be the same with infantry with lances?

I would really like to see a referee trying to deny me the attack of the third rank, if my models are at less than 2" from the enemy, without a written rule to support such an exception.

Aginor and Crowsfoot like this.
  14. Crowsfoot
    Slann

I agree but the guys I've played against it is always the first 2 ranks unless they get in during pile in but it could be a house rule.

Aginor likes this.
  15. Seraphage
    Stegadon

Seraphage Well-Known Member

In the tournaments I've been it's like that. Since the bases are exactly less than 1", 3rd rank can hit with 2" range

Killer Angel and Aginor like this.