1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

AoS Age of Sigmar Rumours - Mk II. (Our new name)

Discussion in 'Seraphon Discussion' started by Mr Phat, Jun 16, 2015.

1. pendrake
    Skink Priest

pendrake Well-Known Member

Unit fillers have little meaning if there are no ranks or rank bonuses anyway.

What I can't figure out is, "can a unit have mixed equipment?" Particularly a mix of CC weapons. Maybe it is needful to sort them according to their exact hand weapon?

I think your assessment is largely correct. Will the 8th ed. books remaining stocks be shredded or will they go to the Black Library... :lurking:

2. hdctambien
    Terradon

hdctambien Active Member

The problem is every subcommunity of WHFB is having this same conversation. The Sweeds are writing 8.5th Edition, the ETC folk are writing The Ninth Age, there is talk here of Lizardmammer and Battleaxe Fantasy .... I imagine similar conversations are happening in each of the Army Forums. The Warhammer Fantasy community is apparently so small that our money isn't good enough for GW, and we're about to split ourselves into even smaller subgroups playing our own dialects of modified 8th Edition. All of which will be tied to a set of GW models that are not necessarily going to be for sale in the foreseeable future.

I mentioned somewhere else that my local group is looking to switch to Kings of War. That at least has a company behind it with a marketing budget. It also has a relationship with the player base (imagine that!) and worked with them to develop the rules and are working towards supporting the newly gameless Warhammer Fantasy players.

Whatever happens, I hope as a community we can all move in the same direction rather than splintering into smaller subgroups and slowing fading away... (sad panda face)

Qupakoco likes this.
  3. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

NIGHTBRINGER Second Spawning

Still clinging to hope until the bitter end. You've already been tarred and feathered... what's next... lit on fire?

I showed my wife your avatar picture and explained the background... she had a great laugh! :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Mr Phat, airjamy and Gogery like this.
  4. pendrake
    Skink Priest

The smart thing to do would be to reach out to the other forums/groups you mention and coordinate effort.

A smart idea would be to avoid skipping all the way to WH8.5 ...if there is to be a future maybe 8.01 thru 8.99 would be in-order. What is the next version after 8.5? Warhammer9.5??

5. Andhe
    Saurus

Andhe Member

I saw on the site how White Dwarf 75 sold out quick. I know exactly how that went down. They would have been excited, seeing a boost, then just like my own experience, I imagine a huge percentage of people reading and starting off with "hmm, okay, interesting...turning into are you serious? thats it? wt is this?"

Followed by this realization :

6. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Spot on accurate!

Andhe likes this.
  7. Andhe
    Saurus

Andhe Member

I admit, I was even a little excited, new WFB news! when I picked up my copy of WD. Didn't open it until i finished work, then sat down, read through. Read again in case I had missed some amazing vital piece of info.. read through the warscrolls for current armys. Changing the play style is one thing, basically removing every cool bit of lore and replacing them with the (yes i'll say it) stupid new additions like guessing which hand the dice is in, dancing, comparing your beard size, insulting your opponent, yelling something, all to get the same perk as almost everything else they have now implemented : either a re-roll or a +1/-1.

Where is the challenge in being a good general, and learning your strengths and weaknesses and how to best use/counter them against your opponent?

I understand what they were trying to do here, but I can tell you no new young player is going to shell out $250 for that box here in NZ because they want to get into it. They'll talk to or meet a current player, who will advise them to spend 2/3 of that on a battalion box, and a hero etc. IF they even encourage the new player to join and play a no longer supported format. Yes this game is about having fun. Well who played WFB and didn't enjoy it? Seems a pointless question.

For me, WFB has always been about the lore, tactical movement (flanks/rear/charges) and fielding an army in similar fashion to the historical battles of old. Big formations, ranked/structured units with the addition of magic thrown in for good measure. What looks more intimidating? A well painted big block of troops in formation, or a few models dropped within 1" of each other, in no regimental order?

Qupakoco and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  8. Thorhauge
    Jungle Swarm

Thorhauge New Member

Completely new guy here,

As in "just-bought-a-battalion-and-glued-together-the-saurus-warriors" new.

I've read the 8th e rulebook and I don't regret picking up warhammer at this point but age of sigmar feels like such a letdown. I have no problems with a system being rules-heavy and neither have the 40k players which is more popular than fantasy as I understand. I can appreciate the fact Games Workshop had to pull out something radically different because of declining sales and that change wasn't going to sit well the fans who liked the game as is but this feels half-baked honestly.
    I've been following this forum for a month or so - so I am at least relieved that there is support for the lizardmen I just bought. I am relieved that there is incentive to dedicate yourself to one race.
    I really like the format of having a condensed rulebook and additional rules on the warscrolls of relevant units.
    I think gradually wearing down bigger monsters and warmachines is a fun mechanic.
    Even though they severely shaved down magic I think it still sounds fine.
    But measuring from model (wish I had glued on my spears horisontally), no way to balance and dancing your way to victory doesn't sit well with me - and I doubt they can pull in as many from a younger age group as they are hoping with these changes.

I am still hoping that we haven't seen all of Age of Sigmar because it really does not feel like we have.
    Just thought I would share some of the feelings of a guy completely new to the game. I am starting up with a roommate of mine and a guy who has been playing for years (who is actually positively inclined towards Age of Sigmar, save for the special rules and balancing issues) so with a small little community we can likely just agree on playing 8th if Age of Sigmar is no fun or GW don't add to the existing ruleset.

Qupakoco likes this.
  9. woogity
    Cold One

woogity Active Member

While i kinda hate the new core rules and the lack of colleges of magic, or rank bonuses, the lack of any specific objective or deployment rules ect....having read through alot of the new books yesterday it does seem our little tribe has gotten quite the bump on the power scale in AOS as having rock bottom initiative is no longer a thing. the new krox are mighty the engine of the gods is absolutely ridiculous, with the ability on 3 6s for you to immediately have another turn ( rare as that is). Kroq-gar, is one of the stronger named lords from what I have seen, and just theory-hammering it...Lord Kroak is more over the top than ever and probably one of the strongest characters i saw. Terradons are much stronger, and I kinda like how the blot toad works now with having its own move characteristic and marking all enemies within a small radius. Even Chakax is giving templeguard units extra attacks and could be useful now.

I just dont like not having rules for deployment...it seems crap with nothing but the 30% rule how is that regulated when a slaan can just summon kroq-gar or anything else short of another slann into the fight?

10. Skinquisitor
    Kroxigor

Skinquisitor Member

11. Slanputin
    Carnasaur

Slanputin Well-Known Member

12. Mr Phat
    Skink Chief

Mr Phat 9th Age Army Support

That is no doubt the nicest comment I have ever woken up to :D

Qupakoco and NIGHTBRINGER like this.
  13. ASSASSIN_NR_1
    Carnasaur

ASSASSIN_NR_1 Well-Known Member

Where did Mazdamundi go, he is not in the warscrolls.

14. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Page 31 of the Lizardmen Warscroll under substitute warscrolls

"The following do not have warscrolls. Instead, use the substitute warscrolls listed below.

Lord Mazdamundi........... Engine of the Gods"

15. Slanputin
    Carnasaur

Slanputin Well-Known Member

I think this may be a case of "if you ain't got a model, you ain't got any rules", in regards to 8th Ed characters at least.

NIGHTBRINGER likes this.
  16. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

Pretty much!

17. KingCheops
    Temple Guard

KingCheops Active Member

I'm going to give this a go just because I find the idea of my lizards beaming in like star trek too funny but this has pretty much lost me to other games. Really into Vietnam with Flames of War, still plugging away at WW2 with the same, liking 40k 7th, using KoW, Mayhem, and AoA for fantasy and will probably pony up the dough for a Rebel Alliance fleet.

I quit playing Magic the Gathering a decade and a half ago. Not really feeling the need to pick it up in miniatures form.

Qupakoco likes this.
  18. pendrake
    Skink Priest

That game is a cash cow for many indy games stores. Without the bleeding wallets of the MTG kidz they would not exist. You might be onto what the new marketing strategy is: buy a new 3-5 model squad every week or two...

19. NIGHTBRINGER
    Slann

That's definitely a powerful strategy if they can get it to work. Lots of smaller but consistent purchases.

20. KingCheops
    Temple Guard

KingCheops Active Member

Yup even Flames of War has adopted that model which is mildly anoying. They have an army builder/list database where you can buy company lists to use. The annoying part is that they a) don't give you the ones you bought in dead tree for fre, and b) don't put all the lists in the dead tree to begin with. Keep in mind that this was the company that gave away a free copy of 3rd edition if you brought a copy of 2nd edition into your FLGS (and let you keep the old bestickered one).

It's perverse really. As MMOs move from subscription to free to play table top gaming is trying to move to subscription style sales.